TONE!!!!!!

shug
shug
01/30/2001 2:10 pm
ok, up till now i havent been too happy with the tone i was getting from my new ( and expensive!!) amp- marshall tsl 100 incase u r wondering, but after replacing the tone boost battery in my jackson, and fiddling a bit, i have finally found what i was looking for after about 4 months of trying!!!!!!
so my message is dont give up on your gear, persevere and u will get there eventually!!!!!!!!
# 1
Trolle
Trolle
01/30/2001 3:31 pm
Oh yeah?

I've had a Marshall anniversary '92 since 1996 and it's only the last 3-4 months that I've finally figured out how to make it sound good. My problem now is that I can only make one channel sound great at a time, either the clean or the crunchy, cause of the master-volume and precence control.
So I'm back in the sadle, tryin' to solve the problem.
I'm thinking of getting another amp for the clean tone, but I'm kindda low on money. And it sucks to play on several amps, if your playing depents on having THOSE two amps up and running at gigs. So I'm also working on some stompbox solutions for back-up gear, so I'll be able to plug into any amp if that's the situation.
But hey, one day it'll be the guitartechs headache, right?:)
# 2
Elmo45
Elmo45
02/04/2001 2:47 am
What kind of amp is that? Gimme some specs okay?
# 3
muya
muya
03/02/2001 5:06 am
Tone... oh, I love that word. My serch for "THE" sound is never ending. I have never owned a marshall amp untill a year ago. I bought a DSL 401. I love that little monster, but I just bought a 1987 2555 and let me tell you! This amp is just amazing! PRS Mcardy,Reverend slingshot,Mesa 4x12 vintage 30s!!!! "THE" Tone......for now HE! HE! For a great blues tone you can't get any better than my Naylor SC 38!
# 4
Jemz
Jemz
10/18/2006 1:10 pm
Hi there!
I have no idea how to help, thats also the reason why I have always wondered why there isn't any information out there on the net to guide you on how to make guitar god's tones ... Like... surely there is some information out there that tells you how to tweek your effects such that it sounds like the great satriani or Van Halen or stevie... sigh...
People have always told me to use my ears... but it takes way to much time to do so... any help here?

Jeremy
# 5
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
10/19/2006 11:30 pm
Hi jemz and welcome,good question, i think I know what you mean:

You can always tell ZZ top's music as they have a unique sound - as does Boston and Queen and many others.
I know Brian May uses a treble booster with part of the signal delayed.
It makes you wonder how they find these distinctive tones.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 6
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
10/20/2006 12:24 am
You might find 'general guitar gadjets ' interesting, they do Treble boosters and lots of other efffects.
I attempted building the May Queen treble booster - i'm 90% there - i must get 'round to completing it.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
10/20/2006 12:47 pm
Originally Posted by: JemzHi there!
I have no idea how to help, thats also the reason why I have always wondered why there isn't any information out there on the net to guide you on how to make guitar god's tones ... Like... surely there is some information out there that tells you how to tweek your effects such that it sounds like the great satriani or Van Halen or stevie... sigh...
People have always told me to use my ears... but it takes way to much time to do so... any help here?

Jeremy

The one thing that everyone needs to know about tone is that it's different for everyone... and it's generally impossible to get the exact tone that some guys do without having a ton of expensive pieces of gear...

Tone is strange... different people will approach it different ways because everyone has certain ideas of what they want in tone and what sounds good... They also have different ideas about which effects or settings they favor... One person might use a distortion pedal where as another person may use the distortion channel on their amp... which will produce two different distorted sounds... Then you have the different amps... not only do different preamps sound differently... but so do the speakers that pump out the sound... There are literally hundreds of parameters that come into effect when dealing with tone... People scooping mids, boosting treble, flanging the distortion or distorting the flange, putting the wah before the chain, using two wahs locked in opposite positions... or one locked and one for the effect, using ceramic magnet pickups versus alnico pickups, humbuckers versus singles, heavy strings to light strings, mahogany versus alder/poplar/ash, tube amp versus solid state, amp models versus the real thing, multi effects processors, compressors, noise gates, speaker cabinet construction, guitar settings, amp settings, pedal settings, over wound pickups, underwound pickups, inphase/out of phase, split coils, sustainers, treble bleeds, neck/mid/bridge pickup position, tremolo versus hardtail, locking nut versus standard nut, bone/plastic/brass nuts.......... I could keep going... there are way too many things that adversly effect tone to realistic reproduce a tone exactly..... So what I'm saying is... use all the gear that you have to try and get as close as possible... 90% of tone knowledge comes from messing around with your own gear... Mess around so that you know exactly what happens when you crank the treble... versus turning the bass way down... or what happens when you use crank the treble and use the neck pickup.... mess around and see what works for you.
# 8
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
10/20/2006 2:41 pm
One other note to consider, most people agree that the majority of "TONE" comes straight from.....................you guessed it your very own fingers. So technique and proper execution of a solo or phrase is CRITICAL to the final sound. Little things like playing a note on a different string from what the (likely incorrect in most of my experiences) tab says. Proper amount of pressure on the strings etc etc. These are the intangables that no amp or effect can every overcome. The only solution is................you guessed it practice and careful listening to the sound you are getting real time.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.