Guitar Effect used in "Soma" (Smashing Pumpkins)

machinex
machinex
12/26/2000 9:12 pm
If anyone has ever seen the "Vieuphoria" video which is a compilation of live songs along with some other weird **** by the Smashing Pumpkins, Ive been trying to figure out what guitar effect was used in the live performance of "Soma".

In the second verse of the song, James mutes all the strings with his left hand and and strums all the muted strings, but there was an effect activated that made it sound like a transformer (the toy) changing from its robot form to a car or truck or whatever it could change into. (Imagine Optimus Prime transforming into a big rig truck, the sound effect that is made when he does that is almost identical to what the sound was of james strumming the muted strings just once) I hope someone knows what im talking about cause this has been driving me crazy for years. (If you listen very closely, you can also hear this effect in the beginning of "Rocket" on Siamese Dream, and at the end of "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans" on Melon Colie and the Infinite Sadness)

I used to own a digitech rp-12 which had a built in appregiator, that kinda sounded like it with some delay but it just wasnt it, and i messed with the controls for it 6 days till sunday (i think thats the right expression) and still couldnt find it so i think it was something else. if ANYONE knows what that damn effect was please let me know.

# 1
mojoscary
mojoscary
07/28/2016 8:40 pm
I know this is about 16 years too late... but i had wondered about this effect for years until the other day.

The effect is a band filtered delay on the Eventide H3000.

I recently got my hands on the plugin version, and was able to recreate the sound EXACTLY....

Btw, it was Billy who makes the sound, not james!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.