Cool Edit Pro - Help Please

Doug_3
Doug_3
09/24/2003 3:19 am
maybe this is a simple matter but its really frustrating me...

alright... i've recorded one track, but when i go to record the second track, the second track already has the first track embedded in it... meaning that if track 2 is supposed to be vocals, its not only vocals but it also includes track 1... so how the hell do i get it so its just voice and not also the guitar in track 2? kinda defeats the purpose of multi-tracking if i cant do that

any help would be much appreciated

# 1
AJ_Cantos
AJ_Cantos
09/24/2003 5:56 pm
I have just the same problem that you, and don't know how to resolve it... Hope anyone could help us...

Thanx

# 2
Doug_3
Doug_3
09/24/2003 11:01 pm
alright... i've done some research and i think its because i need a better soundcard... one with full duplex capabilities whatever that is... i guess they have multiple inputs/outputs... and the one i have now doesnt have that
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/25/2003 12:05 am
I donā€™t really know Cool Edit Pro however, this sounds like a soft where problem rather than a hard where one. Iā€™d try the help section or even try asking some one at http://www.homerecording.com.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4

10/12/2003 2:32 am

Doug, go to start - settings - control panel - sound

There, check the recording setting, looks like you've got the "what u hear" option selected. Depending on where you've hooked up your guitar, you need to activate the line-in or microphone setting. It may also no be called that, depending on your sound card, mine says "stereo mix".

Happens to me all the time when I go in chat rooms, those things mess up with your settings, sometimes muting the line-in.
# 5
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/12/2003 1:57 pm
I think Benoit is on to something. It's not the program cause I have cool edit and mine doesn't do that. Always check your soundcard settings and on recording, make sure your mixer isn't on and the only recording level that is on or up is the one that your using. That should get rid of that problem, if not check your cool edit settings to make sure something aint on that shouldn't be. Get back if you still can't resolve it.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 6
Doug_3
Doug_3
10/12/2003 8:21 pm
yeah i went over to homerecording.com and fixed the problem... it was indeed because i had to switch the settings of my recording properties...
# 7

10/12/2003 9:01 pm

This is the best exemple of home recording, TRIAL AND ERROR!

It sometimes gets furstrating but the more you try things, the better you'll get, like anything else in life.

And this will probably happen to you to. You get a really good rythmn then start to play around the solo. Things are going well, you loop the track to get ideas for the solo. Man, you're hot, you've never played that well. After 20 minutes of looping and working on your solo, you feel ready to record. Now is the time to get it right, everything awesome you fell like Van Halen in an arena concert, you hit every note just right, you even get a few improv in there and they fit! You're on top of the world until you realise you forgot to arm the track and nothing got record!

yeah that will happen to you too ;)
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/12/2003 9:13 pm
Or you spend a gazillion dollars upgrading to Sonar 3 only to find you have to reconfigure everything !

Pooo !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 9
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/13/2003 1:31 am
Originally posted by Benoit

And this will probably happen to you to. You get a really good rythmn then start to play around the solo. Things are going well, you loop the track to get ideas for the solo. Man, you're hot, you've never played that well. After 20 minutes of looping and working on your solo, you feel ready to record. Now is the time to get it right, everything awesome you fell like Van Halen in an arena concert, you hit every note just right, you even get a few improv in there and they fit! You're on top of the world until you realise you forgot to arm the track and nothing got record!

Yeah we did that to our drummer when we recorded a while back. Got him to lay down his track and once he got everything right, we told him that we forgot to hit the record button. Of course we were just messing around to break the ice cause it was his first time actually recording. But I must say it was priceless to see his face though, truly priceless. :D
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 10
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
10/17/2003 1:05 pm
I know Cool Edit pretty well (and they were just bought out by Adobe by the way....now they're called Adobe Audition and it's a little more affordable).

All the suggestions so far are great...I must ask the bone-head question (because it happened to me)

Are you recording your vocals with a mic while Track 1 is playing out of your speakers? That'd do it every time.

When you record vocals you've got to wear headphones and silence everything around you...
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 11
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
10/17/2003 2:34 pm
No, he had some configuration problems, otherwise what you are saying is true...common sense
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 12
gea676s
gea676s
10/21/2003 5:20 pm
I've reviewed what's been said to this point in the forum regarding Track 1 bleeding into Track 2. I've tried using headphones since I'm recording into a mic to prevent the bleed, but it still happens. I have my mic plugged into 'Mic' on the sound card and 'Line-In' muted in the sound card's control panel (Using a Santa Cruz card). It DOES work to turn off "Stereo Mix" and change the setting to, say, 'Microphone', but the problem is, it turns my Track 2 into a mono signal. Other adjustments to my settings allow me to record Track 2 in stereo, but I can't hear Track 1 because it's been muted somehow. Anyone able to help??
# 13
deadstar
deadstar
12/10/2003 4:44 am
i was actually lookin around for help on the same topic and came accross this.

the reason this is happening i think, is because you have one soundcard doing the input and output so when you record a separate track and still want to play the track you just recorded, its picking up and playing it out of the same soundcard and recording it onto the new track as well.

this was not a problem for me before, because i had 2 soundcards and had the soundblaster one as the output, and the echo darla as the input.

that is the only way i found to do multi track recording and not run into this problem...but to me, that is super dumb and there has to be a way. i dont think it is mandatory for you to have 2 soundcards to do multitrack recording and not run into this problem. i bought the newest soundblaster audigy 2 card and it has an ice 1/4" input on the front of it..plugged my guitar in, recorded, crossed my fingers and went to do a second track and its picking up the first track.

its making me crazy, and i just sold my echo card on ebay thinking it would be of no use to me.

someone please help...i tried my recording properties in control panel and it didnt help me out at all.
# 14
daveasdf
daveasdf
12/14/2003 4:23 pm
man, you don't need a second soundcard, especially with an audigy 2. i also had the bleed problem back in the day and solved it by turning down one of the volume levels in the recording volume settings in your task bar. I can't remember the specifics but it's so simple you'll cry. you of course have the right drivers for your card. ... it was something to do with hearing the playback from your recording program or from one of the levels in the volume control. ... not too much help, just mute em all until one does the job for you. volume control is key though, that i'm sure.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.