Gear question

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > Gear question

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

I just put a down payment on a 1967 Aria Diamond 12-string hollowbody. I've only heard of the company a couple times; once that they were awesome and once that they were only okay. Well anyway, the 12-string I got was only $189, and I helped a clerk move some speaker cabinets so he put it on layaway for me for free and knocked the price to $150. This seems good for any 1960's hollowbody, esp. one without cracks all over it, and a twelve string nonetheless. I managed to find one online for like $700, and that was a 6-string. There were some other late 60's/early 70's Arias of similar types that were from $500 to $750, so I'm pretty sure I got a good deal.
Anyone have any experience with Aria's, and know anything about their older models? Apparently, this 12-string is one of their rarest models, I don't know if that means anything from a collector's standpoint as I know nothing of the company but would appreciate the input.
Also, is there a company that makes left-handed 12-string head nuts? I'm a lefty and have to convert it. Thanks.
more from the self-proclaimed king of long-winded posts
Fox Magic Jiron - Always with us
now with more long-wind power: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tristan_s/

I just put a down payment on a 1967 Aria Diamond 12-string hollowbody. I've only heard of the company a couple times; once that they were awesome and once that they were only okay. Well anyway, the 12-string I got was only $189, and I helped a clerk move some speaker cabinets so he put it on layaway for me for free and knocked the price to $150. This seems good for any 1960's hollowbody, esp. one without cracks all over it, and a twelve string nonetheless. I managed to find one online for like $700, and that was a 6-string. There were some other late 60's/early 70's Arias of similar types that were from $500 to $750, so I'm pretty sure I got a good deal.
Anyone have any experience with Aria's, and know anything about their older models? Apparently, this 12-string is one of their rarest models, I don't know if that means anything from a collector's standpoint as I know nothing of the company but would appreciate the input.
Also, is there a company that makes left-handed 12-string head nuts? I'm a lefty and have to convert it. Thanks.

It sounds like you got one hell of a bargin, my friend has an Aria Pro II (i think it's the same company) and it's a great sounding guitar. Nice effort to get the price down to.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys

It sounds like you got one hell of a bargin, my friend has an Aria Pro II (i think it's the same company) and it's a great sounding guitar. Nice effort to get the price down to.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys

Kevin Taylor

Guitar Tricks Instructor

I don't know anything about the company but owned an Aria bass for years. I heard that they were supposedly on the 'cheaper' end of things & it did only cost me $150 but to be honest, I prefered it to the $800 Yamaha bass I had.
Kevin's Guitar Tricks Lessons
Schmange Music U.K./Canada - Home Page
Schmange's iTunes

I don't know anything about the company but owned an Aria bass for years. I heard that they were supposedly on the 'cheaper' end of things & it did only cost me $150 but to be honest, I prefered it to the $800 Yamaha bass I had.
Kevin's Guitar Tricks Lessons
Schmange Music U.K./Canada - Home Page
Schmange's iTunes

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

That's what I've read online... some guy said he bought one of their Gibson hollowbody copies in 1970 for like thirty bucks, mainly because he wanted an ES or Sheraton lookalike, and that when he finally did end up with a Gibson that cost like $1000, he still played the Aria more because it sounded better.
Thanks for the input... I feel a lot less shaky about buying it now.

That's what I've read online... some guy said he bought one of their Gibson hollowbody copies in 1970 for like thirty bucks, mainly because he wanted an ES or Sheraton lookalike, and that when he finally did end up with a Gibson that cost like $1000, he still played the Aria more because it sounded better.
Thanks for the input... I feel a lot less shaky about buying it now.