Brackets & Tiny Notes

Jeff_Johnston
Jeff_Johnston
05/05/2012 11:55 pm
Can somebody help me with reading music?

I have taken the basic courses, and am starting to branch out with some less structured blues tutorials. One problem is that I am not sure of what some of the more subtle musical notation means.

For example in Hans-Peter K's Mississippi Blues tutorial (by the way, HIGHLY recommended), there is a notation on the introduction page with a "tiny" note. What does this mean?

Similarly, in the same music there are notes in brackets. What does this mean?

-Jeff
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/06/2012 3:09 pm
Hey, Jeff. I agree that HP's blues lessons are excellent & a lot of fun to play!
Originally Posted by: Jeff_Johnston...there is a notation on the introduction page with a "tiny" note. What does this mean?[/quote]
"Tiny" notes, or notes in smaller print, are grace notes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_notes

Grace notes come is several varieties, but they are usually ornamental notes that happen very quickly (before, or right on the beat), that support the more important note they lead to.
[QUOTE=Jeff_Johnston]Similarly, in the same music there are notes in brackets. What does this mean?

Notes in brackets or parentheses are notes held over from the previous measure. This is more clearly shown in the musical notation above the tab by long, curved arcs connect the noteheads across measure bar lines.

Hope that clears things up. Ask more if necessary. Have fun. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Jeff_Johnston
Jeff_Johnston
05/08/2012 4:30 am
Thanks Chris!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.