I remember when

nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/10/2012 7:27 pm
I remember when this site was free and all of its access was free : ( such a shame.
# 1
robbrooks101
robbrooks101
04/10/2012 8:47 pm
I think it's great value, signed up last month for a year, cost the same as a good night out, and I've already learnt loads.
Don't think your complaint is really valid with the amount of content on here.
In peace.
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/10/2012 9:16 pm
Originally Posted by: nigelcoughlinI remember when this site was free and all of its access was free : ( such a shame.

How long ago was that and how much less material was on the site back then? Going to assume it's a HUGE difference.
# 3
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
04/11/2012 1:56 am
Its around 25$/30$ an hour for a private instructor. 100$/120$ a month unlike 130$ for a full year of GT. Sure a private teacher is always nice to have but GT is the best way to start.
# 4
Guillermostaggs
Great Shadow
Guillermostaggs
Great Shadow
04/11/2012 12:00 pm
Originally Posted by: SebastBergIts around 25$/30$ an hour for a private instructor. 100$/120$ a month unlike 130$ for a full year of GT. Sure a private teacher is always nice to have but GT is the best way to start.
i bought a guitair at a store and if i took lessons it would be 30$ an hour so if i took 3 lessons a month 90$ guitartricks 15$ a month and they explain things to you and answer your quistoins.. so its well worth it along with the guitar tabs they have to select the core learning system and the songs they have :D
Dont stop keep going-frank zappa Find what your good at and exaggerate it-steve vai
# 5
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/11/2012 8:30 pm
But I use to contribute too this site when I was just a rookie guitar player who only knew a few chords and a few licks and I did it because it was free for everyone. Free for people who can't afford 15 dollars, or 5 dollars. I can't afford too pay 15 dollars or 5 dollars. I have just enough money for my internet connection. With just enough money left over for food. ( I have still never taken a guitar lesson, in 20 years of playing guitar.. ) You look at it like good value and I'm sure it is but there are people out there who can't afford 15 dollars a month and I personally think it is a Shame.. the person who use too DONATE his time too creating and updating and maintain this site has probable being bought out by some money hungry person who saw the ability too get rich off the site. This site use to be Strictly about the music where now it is a lil about the music and a lot about the money. I tried too sign up too see what it got me, It got me a lot of broken links and a lot of ways too sign up. I'm just calling it how i see it. Sorry if some people are butt hurt about it. Blah, Maybe I'm butt hurt that what use too be about the music is now about the money
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/12/2012 12:04 am
TANSTAAFL, baby! ;)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/12/2012 1:07 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801How long ago was that and how much less material was on the site back then? Going to assume it's a HUGE difference.

Just so you know, There was tones of material on the site then and the only reason the site got too be as big as it is now is because of all the people who DONATED there time in the first place.

Sure, You are right. There is a lot of stuff on the site now that wasn't there before. And its alot perdier, but you could still learn how too play the guitar for free, from chords too scales. All different styles from multiply different People. Is this better, for the simple fact that you have too pay money. IT IS NOT BETTER.

Before, any body could come on too the site, new or old and they could learn something. Now, You have too pay money, you have too sign up and go through a huge process. Is this better for passing on information on playing guitar or guitar tricks? No. It is better for helping some guys getting money in their pockets.
# 8
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
04/12/2012 8:19 pm
The last time i went to a music store I asked for the guitar guide book.. They wanted $24.95.. I think they are in it for the money.. And dang, they didn't have any instructor there that would teach for free either.. I guess I'll go home and surf the net for free guitar instruction..
Y'all have good one..
# 9
3donkey
3donkey
04/12/2012 9:09 pm
I remember last week I went to a pizza store and they asked me almost
8$.. what a shame... :P
# 10
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/13/2012 2:01 am
Originally Posted by: nigelcoughlin I can't afford too pay 15 dollars or 5 dollars. I have just enough money for my internet connection. With just enough money left over for food. ...

Uh huh... sure.. right.. :rolleyes:
# 11
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/13/2012 9:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardUh huh... sure.. right.. :rolleyes:

Ya bro, Im disabled and on disability asshole. Not everyone is living the luxury and has money too burn.

I AM actually on a pretty strict budget Dick head.
# 12
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/13/2012 9:29 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1The last time i went to a music store I asked for the guitar guide book.. They wanted $24.95.. I think they are in it for the money.. And dang, they didn't have any instructor there that would teach for free either.. I guess I'll go home and surf the net for free guitar instruction..
Y'all have good one..

Not disputing that.... Never once did I mention the music store?
# 13
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/13/2012 9:31 pm
I can see everyone finds it amusing that what once was a great place too get information for free is now a money hungry Institution. : )
Have a nice day, paying for your " lessons "
# 14
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
04/13/2012 9:57 pm
Hi Nigel.
I can see your point. However, things evolve, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I was not here back in the free days so I can't comment on the early times, but I do think that this site has matured into a very nice site with a HUGE amount of content.

Sorry you can't afford the membership, I think if you could, you'd agree that it's worth the montly fee.

Cheers.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 15
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/14/2012 1:05 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerHi Nigel.
I can see your point. ...

Sorry you can't afford the membership, I think if you could, you'd agree that it's worth the montly fee.

Cheers.

What is it with people these days? There are so many flaws in what he has posted, its not even worth it to get into... you really believe that he can't come up with $15 per month? He can afford a guitar, strings, picks, a computer, internet connection, plus whatever else, and yet can't spring for $15 per month.. Rick.. seriously, you believe that? You believe that most of the content on this site was "donated" by people wanting to share free lessons on the internet? Really? You see his point and qualify his posts even though he calls people "asshole" and "dickhead"?? Why is it these days when someone comes on to a forum like this spouting off, there's all this empathy even though they are totally rude? We just went through this with someone taking very rude pot-shots at the instructors here, and it was the same thing... someone posting "I know what you're saying..." if people make ridiculous assertions, then they deserve to be called out on them.. not coddled. Geesh, doesn't anyone have a spine any more?
# 16
Neiles335
Neiles335
04/14/2012 1:18 am
I havent joined this site yet, just checking it out...but if you cant afford to join you could always look at the hundreds of sites on line that offer free lessons, easily found on YouTube. One of the best Imho is www.justinguitar.com, which is totally free (make a donation if you can).. I've learned lots there..very comprehensive. I've been doing this for quite a while and my playing has improved dramatically... good luck.
# 17
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/14/2012 1:43 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardWhat is it with people these days? There are so many flaws in what he has posted, its not even worth it to get into... you really believe that he can't come up with $15 per month? He can afford a guitar, strings, picks, a computer, internet connection, plus whatever else, and yet can't spring for $15 per month.. Rick.. seriously, you believe that? You believe that most of the content on this site was "donated" by people wanting to share free lessons on the internet? Really? You see his point and qualify his posts even though he calls people "asshole" and "dickhead"?? Why is it these days when someone comes on to a forum like this spouting off, there's all this empathy even though they are totally rude? We just went through this with someone taking very rude pot-shots at the instructors here, and it was the same thing... someone posting "I know what you're saying..." if people make ridiculous assertions, then they deserve to be called out on them.. not coddled. Geesh, doesn't anyone have a spine any more?

This is pretty close to where I come down on the subject. Although I may not be so harsh on Rick, I certainly don't buy the argument or have sympathy for the 'tight budget' or 'disabled-disability' argument. People pay what they *choose* to afford...that's inherent in the concept of a budget.

And I like Neiles335's post...justinguitar is an exellent alternative. I use it too but note that I find GT worth the subscription price.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 18
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/14/2012 1:48 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardHe can afford a guitar, strings, picks, a computer, internet connection, plus whatever else, and yet can't spring for $15[/QUOTE]

Alot of Which I acquired before I was on disability and was on a budget.
I spend my 15 dollars, on Strings when they break. On picks. Things actually required too play the guitar.

Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardYou believe that most of the content on this site was "donated" by people wanting to share free lessons on the internet? Really?[/QUOTE]

The original site, Guitartricks.com was by people wanting too share free lessons on different guitar tricks and guitar riffs. I know, I contributed. I posted Guitar riffs and licks.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]You see his point and qualify his posts even though he calls people "asshole" and "dickhead"??

And what about you? And people like the guy who i called an asshole who just assume everything is a lie? Rolls his Emoticon eyes at me, Like i should just have 15 dollars? It's rude. I'm on disability. I have a hard time making my own ends meet. Who is he too judge me and call me a liar? And who are you? One day him or you might be on the other end of the stick. And that 15 dollars is gonna be harder too come by. Karma isn't much of a lady

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]Geesh, doesn't anyone have a spine anymore?

At least he has some decency which u obviously lack and Im sure you don't have a spine either.
# 19
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/14/2012 1:50 am
Originally Posted by: john of MT People pay what they *choose* to afford...that's inherent in the concept of a budget.

Have you ever tried too budget your money below the poverty level?

Thanks and Thanks Again.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.