Drummer.......gone guitarist

jazzman0631
jazzman0631
02/21/2012 6:16 am
I am 53 and playing drums for 40 years......everything from Tower of Power to Black Crows...............but lately I cant put down this guitar! Well i just wanted to say hello to all the players out there...........Rock On
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/21/2012 8:07 am
Many very talented guitar players started out as drummers! Hopefully you won't suffer too much from the rushing syndrome most guitar players have. :D

Welcome!

/Ben
# 2
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
02/22/2012 12:41 am
Originally Posted by: jazzman0631I am 53 and playing drums for 40 years......but lately I cant put down this guitar!...........Rock On
Hiya Jazz ;)

Welcome aboard!! I thought about learning to play drums to improve my guitar rhythm & speed at some point. It's nice to meet another musician making a transition to another instrument.

Do you think it's worthwhile learning to play drums to improve my timing and beats on guitar? Any tips or advice will be highly valued :)

Rock on, buddy!!!

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/22/2012 12:56 am
You're one HUGE step ahead since you have an understanding of rhythm, tempo and a general knowledge of music.

Pick up the bass next and it'll be fun seeing how more closely it is linked with drums than the guitar.
# 4
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
02/22/2012 1:28 am
Thank-you for posting, Hunter, because I neglected to mention I play electric guitar. I feel this can already produce a deep, bassy sound for me and I heard a tip that playing drums can improve your guitar skills.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/24/2012 8:59 am
Originally Posted by: axeman81Thank-you for posting, Hunter, because I neglected to mention I play electric guitar. I feel this can already produce a deep, bassy sound for me and I heard a tip that playing drums can improve your guitar skills.

I've seen a few great guitar players say that the way to great guitar playing is to hang out with the drummer...can't remember the names but I'll stand by it.

You have built in a sense of time and groove (as mentioned) that you don't have to overcome.

When I was a snot nosed teen picking up guitar, I was just trying to learn the right chords and all then practicing with a metronome came later.

You have that built in already.

Good luck and have fun.
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/24/2012 11:46 am
Originally Posted by: jazzman0631I am 53 and playing drums for 40 years......everything from Tower of Power to Black Crows...............but lately I cant put down this guitar! Well i just wanted to say hello to all the players out there...........Rock On

I consider it an advantage. I'm an ex drummer (maybe a re-drummer now, I dunno...), and I would say a lot of right hand technique came from the drumming. As has been mentioned, tempo, accents, lots of stuff is already built in for you. When I was learning and playing with other folks, I recall getting good comments about timing and tempo.

Hunter's comment on Bass is way true. Funny as a drummer, that was kind of automatic (playing 'with' the bass line). When I started trying to record stuff, my bass lines and drums were way off until I realized this little epiphany. I have to do the bass lines first before I know what I will be doing on drums. Huh, I always thought They played with ME!:D Damn. There's that lurch again...
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 7
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
02/24/2012 1:49 pm
I think it foolish to try and will never work.

Here's an example of someone struggling mightily to make the transition....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGQAfolOJUI

Just in case someone missed it,, that was sarcasm :-)

I was an interview with Grohl where he was talking about how the three guitar parts of a given Foo song are written with drum influence. Pretty interesting and very evident in many of their songs.
# 8
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
02/24/2012 2:57 pm
Originally Posted by: KFS1972I think it foolish to try and will never work.

Here's an example of someone struggling mightily to make the transition....
Just to make sure you're on the right page, KFS, I'm talking in terms of playing drums to support playing the guitar. Which is my primary instrument of choice. But all advice is welcome, even if it is constructive criticism, so thank-you :)

Thank-you Hunter, Jeff & Razbo for your positive and supportive feedback. An ounce of your advice is worth a fortune in gold.

Thanks for the OP for posting.

You have all convinced me to invest in a set of drums, to help me learn the guitar better ;)

Besides, playing both will be heaps of fun and will drive the neighbourhood even more nuts :D

# 9
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
02/24/2012 3:27 pm
Ohh no, my post was not intended to be critical in any way (constructive or not). It was directly more toward the original poster.

Actually, I feel that almost any instrument that you learn has the ability to make you better at every instrument that you play. Considering a Uke, myself but would love to add a bass to my music area.
# 10
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
02/24/2012 3:58 pm
I hope I didn't cause offence - all feedback is welcome. ;)

Originally Posted by: KFS1972...would love to add a bass to my music area.[/QUOTE]Hunter suggested that. I've never tried the bass guitar before.

Originally Posted by: hunter1801Pick up the bass next and it'll be fun seeing how more closely it is linked with drums than the guitar.
So, playing the bass will compliment the standard electric-guitar/drums combination? Interesting!

[QUOTE=KFS1972]Actually, I feel that almost any instrument that you learn has the ability to make you better at every instrument that you play.
I'll be a one-man marching band!! :D

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.