Correct height for a stool

CaptainSlog
CaptainSlog
02/04/2012 10:28 pm
I've just joined, and liking what I see so far!

My question is about stool height. I have an electric guitar, and Christopher Schlegel suggests that it should be in the same position when sitting down as standing up. My stool is quite low, so my legs are at 90 degrees to my torso, which means the guitar tends to rest on my right leg rather than held by the strap. Christopher is shown sitting on a stool that is somewhat higher than that, so what should the angle of my legs be to my torso (i.e. how high should the stool be)?
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/04/2012 11:17 pm
I never fully understood that. To me, no matter what the angle is of your legs, the guitar is always going to rest on the same spot, at the same height. Since your upper thigh isn't really moving up or down even if the stool is.

I'm assuming you are just supposed to sit with your feet flat on the ground and the guitar resting on your leg (how I've done it for 14 years). But like you mentioned, this means the strap isn't really carrying the weight. The point of it I think is to make the strap hold the guitar at that same spot when you STAND. Ideally, you shouldn't be slinging the guitar way down low since it requires more of a bend in your wrist.

Maybe just sit like you are now, but tighten the strap until you feel it carrying some weight? Doesn't really look "cool" standing with a guitar up to your chest though.
# 2
CaptainSlog
CaptainSlog
02/06/2012 9:12 pm
Thanks. I've decided it's easier for me to prictice standing up, there's not much room here in my study anyway. The desk gets in the way a bit so gets a little cramped!
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/06/2012 11:13 pm
I just practice sitting in front of my computer. Can have the metronome going, any tabs I may be using, or one of the many e-books I work off of.
# 4
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
02/11/2012 1:41 pm
Until you're comfortable playing in a lot of different positions, Schlegel's suggestion is a practical one. It'll give you a consistent reference point. That way, you won't learn how to play sitting down, and then feel out-of-place when you finally play live. (And playing live, you want to be as comfortable as possible!)

You might notice that some very well-known guitarists play with their guitars all over the place (hanging by their knees, up high, etc).

You'll eventually find that some positions make it easier (or harder) to play different types of things. For instance, if your guitar is too low, it'll make you bend your wrist / wrap your thumb around the neck more. Then again, it can be a lot of fun to play that way, if the song is easy.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.