PayPal Problem

JJF84
JJF84
02/09/2011 1:03 pm
Hello everybody,

I want to become a full access member for a month, but when I try to pay with PayPal, it says that I need a credit card registered at PayPal what is a little bit weird because if I had one, I'd pay directly with credit card. I have enough money on my payPal account.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,

Jack
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/09/2011 7:17 pm
Are you outside the U.S? I understand paypal in some countries doesn't allow monthly subscription billing against a checking account. I think a one year subscription might work in that case, but I am not sure.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
JJF84
JJF84
02/15/2011 7:06 pm
Thanks for your quick answer, but that's to risky for me.

Bye
# 3
Tranquilizer
Tranquilizer
02/20/2012 12:56 am
Guys, I fear something fishy is going on. Not accusing anyone of anything, and I love the site. That's my disclaimer. What follows is my experience.

I recently decided to pay for more full access after a long break. I paid with PayPal and was prompted to link my credit card to my PayPal account for immediate access. I wanted it now, so I did that, not suspecting anything fishy, despite the fact my checking account is also linked to PayPal and, in the past, has always been billed instantly when there were no funds in my PayPal.

Alas, this transaction didn't go through. I was bored, impatient and a bit buzzed, so I went ahead and payed for a year with my credit card. Boom. I was in, and not even worried about being billed for another month when the original transaction eventually cleared.

Last weekend my credit card company called and we found someone jacked my
card #. Since my original PayPal payment to this site never went through, I can't help but suspect the prompt for my credit card might have been a phishing scam.

The good news is I have a one year membership, a new credit card, and no harm was done. I hope this site had nothing to do with the theft of my cc info, but it's all I can figure.
# 4
trickyvic3
trickyvic3
02/20/2012 1:16 am
I had the same issue when I went full access today. I was going to pay with PayPal but they wanted a credit card from me as well. I'm guessing it's because GT bills monthly?

I do have a credit card reg with PayPal so I thought it was kind of strange. So rather than go through them, I just backed out of PayPal, started over and used my Visa.

Not sure what's going on.

Vic
# 5
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
02/20/2012 5:18 pm
There as been a lot of scam on Pay Pal recently. I'm not saying dont use it, I use it myself, but be more carefull then you are usualy.
# 6
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/21/2012 12:06 am
Originally Posted by: trickyvic3I had the same issue when I went full access today. I was going to pay with PayPal but they wanted a credit card from me as well. I'm guessing it's because GT bills monthly?

I do have a credit card reg with PayPal so I thought it was kind of strange. So rather than go through them, I just backed out of PayPal, started over and used my Visa.

Not sure what's going on.

Vic

If you aren't in the US, then I believe that is what they do. I have seen checking debits processed through paypal, but that was a while ago.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
trickyvic3
trickyvic3
02/21/2012 12:52 am
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickIf you aren't in the US, then I believe that is what they do. I have seen checking debits processed through paypal, but that was a while ago.

I am in the US Jon, that's what's weird about it.

I live up in NH.

Vic
# 8
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/22/2012 11:14 pm
Originally Posted by: TranquilizerGuys, I fear something fishy is going on. Not accusing anyone of anything, and I love the site. That's my disclaimer. What follows is my experience.

I recently decided to pay for more full access after a long break. I paid with PayPal and was prompted to link my credit card to my PayPal account for immediate access. I wanted it now, so I did that, not suspecting anything fishy, despite the fact my checking account is also linked to PayPal and, in the past, has always been billed instantly when there were no funds in my PayPal.

Alas, this transaction didn't go through. I was bored, impatient and a bit buzzed, so I went ahead and payed for a year with my credit card. Boom. I was in, and not even worried about being billed for another month when the original transaction eventually cleared.

Last weekend my credit card company called and we found someone jacked my
card #. Since my original PayPal payment to this site never went through, I can't help but suspect the prompt for my credit card might have been a phishing scam.

The good news is I have a one year membership, a new credit card, and no harm was done. I hope this site had nothing to do with the theft of my cc info, but it's all I can figure.

Thanks for telling us about this. It is really hard these days to say where a credit card account gets compromised, when it does. When mine was compromised, it happened at the hardware store in my neighborhood. A detective called and told me some months later. Mostly you never find out.

Our security here is very strong, we don't store credit card data on our servers, and our card processing company carries the highest security rating.

Your note made me think "what if there were a malware that waits til you try to pay with paypal and then sends you to a bogus paypal page." That would be a good trick. I googled to see if such a thing exists and it seems not. But you never know. Always when you pay anyone online you should look at the url and make sure you are where you think you are.

Thanks for posting this. I just want you to know we take it very seriously.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/22/2012 11:16 pm
Vic,
If you PM me your paypal email address, my paypal rep says he will investigate and see why you got the "credit card required" prompt.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 10
trickyvic3
trickyvic3
02/23/2012 12:57 am
Will do Jon,

I'm interested to get his input . I personally didn't get ripped off, as I didn't give any credit card info. I closed out the page and just went right through GT with my credit card info.
I'll PM you my info.

Thank you
Vic
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.