yo

i think...

aren't most of the orignal punk chord progressions
one - four - five progressions?

the basics anyway..something to get you started
-G
yo

High Bandwidth

Here's 2 chord progressions you see a lot in the music of punk, alt. rock, & metal;

1) take a major bar chord (or power chord)and move it 3 frets up or down the neck (this is the distance of a minor 3rd).....ex. C Eb

2)play a major bar chord off the 6th str., move it to a major bar chord off the 5th str. 1 fret up.(or vice versa)
ex. G to Db (this is known as a tri-tone)

Rock On!!!

Here's 2 chord progressions you see a lot in the music of punk, alt. rock, & metal;

1) take a major bar chord (or power chord)and move it 3 frets up or down the neck (this is the distance of a minor 3rd).....ex. C Eb

2)play a major bar chord off the 6th str., move it to a major bar chord off the 5th str. 1 fret up.(or vice versa)
ex. G to Db (this is known as a tri-tone)

Rock On!!!

is Super Fabulous

Mmmm . . . tri-tones.

That would mean you would have to be playing in locrian or lydian. Yummy . . . Smilie

Mmmm . . . tri-tones.

That would mean you would have to be playing in locrian or lydian. Yummy . . . Smilie

James

Nothin like a good locrian medieval-metal ballad.

Nothin like a good locrian medieval-metal ballad.

High Bandwidth

You guys bring up a good point, here's how I think of approaching a solo over a tri tone prog;
Think of the root chord and the tri-tone chord as being the same chord. For example, say where in C.

C (ceg) tri-tone F# (f#a#c#)

combine the two chords together and what do you have?
A C7b9#11 chord
Both locrian & lydian will work, but they both leave out the major 3rd, my scale of choice would be a dominant diminished scale; C Db Eb E F# G A A#(Bb) C. I think this scale captures the essence of the chord progression which sounds diminished in nature, not diatonic.

You guys bring up a good point, here's how I think of approaching a solo over a tri tone prog;
Think of the root chord and the tri-tone chord as being the same chord. For example, say where in C.

C (ceg) tri-tone F# (f#a#c#)

combine the two chords together and what do you have?
A C7b9#11 chord
Both locrian & lydian will work, but they both leave out the major 3rd, my scale of choice would be a dominant diminished scale; C Db Eb E F# G A A#(Bb) C. I think this scale captures the essence of the chord progression which sounds diminished in nature, not diatonic.

is Super Fabulous

I see what you're saying.

. . . but do you think any punk players are going to have any idea what we're talking about? Smilie

. . . but do you think any punk players are going to have any idea what we're talking about? Smilie

High Bandwidth

Proabable not.
But it's fun to take things created by uneducated musicians and try to make sense of them theoretically. Sometimes they play something they makes you go ....hmmm, why didn't I ever think of that.

Proabable not.
But it's fun to take things created by uneducated musicians and try to make sense of them theoretically. Sometimes they play something they makes you go ....hmmm, why didn't I ever think of that.

Riley124

Originally Posted by: Christoph

Actually yes alot of punks are smart I take music theory and know alot about theory

Originally Posted by: Christoph

Actually yes alot of punks are smart I take music theory and know alot about theory

gutsntoses

Originally Posted by: Riley124

necropost of the decade~unless i'm reading the dates wrong..O.O

Originally Posted by: Riley124

necropost of the decade~unless i'm reading the dates wrong..O.O