Comedians

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > Comedians

ericthecableguy

What comedians do we all like?

I dig MItch Hedberg cause of his off the cuff randomness and how every joke isn't about who or what he f****ed last night. I also get the occasional chuckle from Dane Cook because of all the easy to relate to allusions.

How bout all you? I love stand up and want to find more good comedians but find most of them blow.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB

What comedians do we all like?

I dig MItch Hedberg cause of his off the cuff randomness and how every joke isn't about who or what he f****ed last night. I also get the occasional chuckle from Dane Cook because of all the easy to relate to allusions.

How bout all you? I love stand up and want to find more good comedians but find most of them blow.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB

Mark Pav

Oh, yeah, I love good stand-up acts, too! But I don't often remember their names.

Mitch Hedberg was cool, for sure. I started listening to stand-up acts a while ago and can remember when Rowen Atkinson did stand-up at events like The Secret Policeman's Ball, which also included skits from the Monty Python guys and Billy Connelly. Billy was best early on, before he got cheap laughs from swearing all the time and not really being funny.

Old stand-up by guys like Stevie Wright and Rodney Dangerfield were funny then, but are a bit dated now. Still worth checking out if you aren't familiar with 'em.

Eddie Izzard can be funny sometimes. Again, I think his early stuff is best.

There's a female comedian I like, but I can't remember her name. She dresses in black pants and a black top; she's skinny, white and probably 40 years old; and she goes for short observational humour and puns, rather than stories. Hmm. I dunno who she is.

Mostly I like British comedians and some Canadian ones.

Oh, yeah, I love good stand-up acts, too! But I don't often remember their names.

Mitch Hedberg was cool, for sure. I started listening to stand-up acts a while ago and can remember when Rowen Atkinson did stand-up at events like The Secret Policeman's Ball, which also included skits from the Monty Python guys and Billy Connelly. Billy was best early on, before he got cheap laughs from swearing all the time and not really being funny.

Old stand-up by guys like Stevie Wright and Rodney Dangerfield were funny then, but are a bit dated now. Still worth checking out if you aren't familiar with 'em.

Eddie Izzard can be funny sometimes. Again, I think his early stuff is best.

There's a female comedian I like, but I can't remember her name. She dresses in black pants and a black top; she's skinny, white and probably 40 years old; and she goes for short observational humour and puns, rather than stories. Hmm. I dunno who she is.

Mostly I like British comedians and some Canadian ones.

CW14

Can't beat John Cleese Big Grin
BOL

Can't beat John Cleese Big Grin
BOL

earthman buck

Ha. I'm watching Just for Laughs right now.

Mitch Hedburg is great, as is Russell Peters. All his jokes are basically the same, talking about how it was growing up in Canada with Indian parents, but he's so good at it that he stays pretty fresh. And uh....he's the only one I can think of by name, probably because he's on right now.

Pretty much all Irish and British comedians are hilarious.
Can't a Captain look at a Queen?

Ha. I'm watching Just for Laughs right now.

Mitch Hedburg is great, as is Russell Peters. All his jokes are basically the same, talking about how it was growing up in Canada with Indian parents, but he's so good at it that he stays pretty fresh. And uh....he's the only one I can think of by name, probably because he's on right now.

Pretty much all Irish and British comedians are hilarious.
Can't a Captain look at a Queen?

hunter60

Humble student

Oh man, there's so many....

Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Craig Shoemaker, Richard Jenni, Richard Belzer, Bill Burr, Daniel Tosh, Alonzo Bowden, Nick DePaulo, Jim Norton, Jay Mohr, Chris Titus, Stephen Lynch (guitar player too!), Eddie Murphy (years ago, but the stuff is still funny), Drew Carey (yeah, yeah, I know - you wouldn't think so but I've seen him live several times and he's a howl), Lewis Black, Jon Stewart, Billy Gardell....

like I said, the list goes on and on and on....

I like British comics too but being here in the ol' U.S., I'm most exposed to our comics so I guess it only makes sense that I would like them more. I have seen some big names ( I LOVE stand up): Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, Jeff Foxworthy, Howie Mandel (back when he was funny), Jerry Seinfeld and many of the ones listed above.

I agree that Mitch Hedberg was one of the best. It's sad to think that he killed himself because he just didn't think he was successful. He had a HUGE cult following and I think that he was right on the edge of making it big. Too bad.
"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan

Oh man, there's so many....

Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Craig Shoemaker, Richard Jenni, Richard Belzer, Bill Burr, Daniel Tosh, Alonzo Bowden, Nick DePaulo, Jim Norton, Jay Mohr, Chris Titus, Stephen Lynch (guitar player too!), Eddie Murphy (years ago, but the stuff is still funny), Drew Carey (yeah, yeah, I know - you wouldn't think so but I've seen him live several times and he's a howl), Lewis Black, Jon Stewart, Billy Gardell....

like I said, the list goes on and on and on....

I like British comics too but being here in the ol' U.S., I'm most exposed to our comics so I guess it only makes sense that I would like them more. I have seen some big names ( I LOVE stand up): Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, Jeff Foxworthy, Howie Mandel (back when he was funny), Jerry Seinfeld and many of the ones listed above.

I agree that Mitch Hedberg was one of the best. It's sad to think that he killed himself because he just didn't think he was successful. He had a HUGE cult following and I think that he was right on the edge of making it big. Too bad.
"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan

PonyOne

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

Bill Hicks, man...
more from the self-proclaimed king of long-winded posts
Fox Magic Jiron - Always with us
now with more long-wind power: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tristan_s/

Bill Hicks, man...
more from the self-proclaimed king of long-winded posts
Fox Magic Jiron - Always with us
now with more long-wind power: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tristan_s/

Kevin Taylor

Guitar Tricks Instructor

I've been watching the old American version of "Who's Line is it Anyway?" lately and man... it blows me away how they can do improvisation like that.
Especially (sorry don't know the names), the tall guy and the bald Canadian guy. If you watch the way those guys interact in scenes together, they're like the modern version of Laurel and Hardy or something.
Kevin's Guitar Tricks Lessons
Schmange Music U.K./Canada - Home Page
Schmange's iTunes

I've been watching the old American version of "Who's Line is it Anyway?" lately and man... it blows me away how they can do improvisation like that.
Especially (sorry don't know the names), the tall guy and the bald Canadian guy. If you watch the way those guys interact in scenes together, they're like the modern version of Laurel and Hardy or something.
Kevin's Guitar Tricks Lessons
Schmange Music U.K./Canada - Home Page
Schmange's iTunes

Blues_Man

List of my FAVORITE stand up comics: Dave Chappelle, Richard Pryor, Eddie murphy, George Carlin, Pablo Francisco, Adam Ferrara, Carlos Mencia, Aries Spears, Frank Caliendo, Jim Carrey. Etc.

Movie comics: Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Richard Pryor.

I watch comedy central tv 24-7!

* oh yeah, has anyone seen JIM BREUER'S act? He is freaking AWESOME!!!
He does a perfect impression of Ac/dc and James Hetfield too! A great Rock comic!

Hetfield-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Ctf1hquXI

Ac/dc- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrddcJ1HbZI

Watch those!
I am Comfortably Numb... Big Grin

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!

List of my FAVORITE stand up comics: Dave Chappelle, Richard Pryor, Eddie murphy, George Carlin, Pablo Francisco, Adam Ferrara, Carlos Mencia, Aries Spears, Frank Caliendo, Jim Carrey. Etc.

Movie comics: Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Richard Pryor.

I watch comedy central tv 24-7!

* oh yeah, has anyone seen JIM BREUER'S act? He is freaking AWESOME!!!
He does a perfect impression of Ac/dc and James Hetfield too! A great Rock comic!

Hetfield-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Ctf1hquXI

Ac/dc- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrddcJ1HbZI

Watch those!
I am Comfortably Numb... Big Grin

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!

RGX312l

Originally Posted by: schmange

I once nearly choked to death because I made the mistake of watching Who's Line Is It Anyway while eating dinner -- this is an even bigger health risk than working inside a nuclear reactor --- naked.

Originally Posted by: schmange

I once nearly choked to death because I made the mistake of watching Who's Line Is It Anyway while eating dinner -- this is an even bigger health risk than working inside a nuclear reactor --- naked.

gogogo

Dave Chappelle-Funiest sketch artist I've ever watched
Chris Tucker-love em
Chris Rock-I can recognize his voice in any tv show, cartoon, movie...
Bernie Mac= greeeaaatt standup
Richard Pryor-Larger the life
Eddie Murphy-great actor
Tyler Perry-He writes some insanely funny stage plays...but some audiences find him hard to relate to...and If u want to watch a broadway-esque production look elsewhere...

Dave Chappelle-Funiest sketch artist I've ever watched
Chris Tucker-love em
Chris Rock-I can recognize his voice in any tv show, cartoon, movie...
Bernie Mac= greeeaaatt standup
Richard Pryor-Larger the life
Eddie Murphy-great actor
Tyler Perry-He writes some insanely funny stage plays...but some audiences find him hard to relate to...and If u want to watch a broadway-esque production look elsewhere...