So, you wanna sound like Eddie huh?

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/14/2006 5:12 pm
Ok, after posting >THIS THREAD< I added all of this afterwards, but decided to just make a new post in here with it.....

If any of you are tone freaks like I am, here's a little tip on getting similar tones to him. Use a relatively low gain bridge humbucker that has a very open and harmonicaly rich tone, a maple neck and fretboard, and something along the poplar/aldar/basswood lines for the body. There are a few other details for the guitar, but those are the basics. As for amps, you'll need an EL43 power tube based amp, with a british voicing. The power amp needs to be pushed really hard, so that you get some nice power tube saturation, and then bring in the preamp gain to add more gain if needed (start off with it fairly low). You also don't need as much gain as you might think. Too much gain will muddy your tone up, and he had a really clear and open tone. CRANK YOUR MIDS! An overdrive/distortion pedal like the Boss DS-1 or SD-1 can also help, but get as close as you can with your amp first. Finally, to get that extra chewiness he has, you'll need an MXR Phase 90 phaser pedal, with the rate/speed set very low. A few other effects that will help are Flanger (MXR-117 to be very specific), Chorus (a Boss CH-1 works for me), and Delay. A compressor and an EQ pedal would also be handy.

There is a lot more to his rig than all that (such as using a wet/dry/wet setup, an Eventide Harmonizer, slaving his amp out to separate power amps, sending his signal to Palmer cabinet simulators for FOH, etc...), but those are the basics. His rig is constantly changing, but guess what... He always sounds like himself.

Following those guidelines will get you pretty close to the famous "Brown Sound". But, unless you learn to play just like Eddie, and have his hands and touch, you'll never sound just like him. Hey, what's so bad about that? I know it's fun to sound like your heros, but why not work on developing your own tone that is unique to you, and works with your style of playing. I love the "brown sound", and like using something similar when I'm jamming on some VH tunes, but other than that, it just doesn't work for my style of writing and playing.

Just remember that these are guidelines, and not rules. You would still sound like yourself playing through Eddie's acutal rig, and Eddie would still sound like himself playing through your rig. So, don't get discouraged trying to copy someone elses tone... Work on finding out what tones work best for your playing and writing styles.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
06/14/2006 5:46 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaUse a relatively low gain bridge humbucker

:confused: I've got an original Ernie Ball/Music Man EVH and the pickups in it are pretty hot. Actually hotter than the Dimarzio Tone Zone I installed in my SG.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/14/2006 5:59 pm
Meh, they started getting a bit hotter as the years went on, and his tone started evolving into what it was circa the Balance album. I'm talking about getting that early VH raw chewey brown sound. A Seymour Duncan 59 in the bridge is a very good choice for this application.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
HDJ
HDJ
06/14/2006 7:31 pm
I don't know. Wasn't trying to prove you wrong or anything, just thought I'd mention that about the pups in my EVH. That guitar was released around the time that For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was released. I think that was the only album he recorded with the Music Man before moving onto to Peavey.

A word about the pups in my EVH. Very mid-rangy and very hot. The sound is a lot more "creamier" than the Tone Zone. I've actually been considering slapping a Tone Zone into the EVH, really not that crazy about the stock pups..
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2006 8:18 pm
> Finally, to get that extra chewiness he has, you'll need an MXR Phase 90
> phaser pedal, with the rate/speed set very low.

jeez... light bulb finally goes off in my head.
I always wondered how he was getting that subtle change in tone during his leads and that would explain it.
Thanks for the info. :)
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/15/2006 4:44 am
Originally Posted by: schmange... jeez... light bulb finally goes off in my head.
I always wondered how he was getting that subtle change in tone during his leads and that would explain it....

Oh, yeah. The Man has hands and ears. :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.