Hammer on problem

I-don't-carican
I-don't-carican
01/12/2006 11:04 am
First off, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. So sorry if I'm not. I just figured my problem is kinda basic so Guitar Basics should do?

Well, the thing is I have a lot of difficulty playing hammer-ons. Okay, I'll be honest, I can't play them at all. I know what I'm supposed to do and I'm capable of physically doing it but when I put down my finger on the second note, I just end up muting it instead of making it sound.

If my problem is still unclear, I'll try to make it clearer. Let's say we have a *0h 2* to play on the D string. I pick the D string open, then, put a finger down on the second fret. That's what I'm supposed to do, right? But even though the note rings when I pick it open (of course, it would), when I put my finger down on the second fret, it just stops sounding. Or if I hammer it down hard enough, it makes this little measly sound that can't possibly be what it's meant to do!

Any tips? Advice on how to put my finger down so the note actually rings? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/12/2006 11:22 am
The first and most obvious advice would be to hammer the note harder. The second would be to check to make sure the action on your guitar is set low enough to hammer effectivly. Third would be to make sure your neck is straight so the string ain't hitting a fret farther down the guitar. That would be about it. Oh, string gauge could be a factor too, albeit a small one. Hope this helps man.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
I-don't-carican
I-don't-carican
01/12/2006 11:29 am
Before going any further...is it even possible to do it on a classical guitar?

If not, I've found the problem, I guess.

"The second would be to check to make sure the action on your guitar is set low enough to hammer effectivly". Cause that can't be done on a classical guitar, right?

And the neck, well, I think it's straight. The guitar is actually about thirty years old but still in good enough condition.

Thanks for your reply though!
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/12/2006 11:34 am
It's definatly harder on an acoustic. It's still doable though, I mean just listen to "Tears in Heaven". If you're really interested in getting into guitar, you should learn all that is possible on the guitar you have now and if you find it harder and harder to put it down get something a little newer and see where you get from there.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
I-don't-carican
I-don't-carican
01/12/2006 11:44 am
Yea, I was actually planning on buying an electric (cause that's what would be better for the style I'd like to play). However, money issues come in the way and stuff. Though if things go well, I might get a new one sometime. The one I'm using now is actually my dad's. Though he's never used it much...

All in all, I guess I should probably just try to hammer the note a little harder, as you suggested. I was kind of hoping that I was actually doing something wrong cause hammering it harder than I do it now will most likely be very uncomfortable. Maybe I place my finger badly or something.

Thanks for your help though! I'll go try again.
# 5
RevRaz
RevRaz
01/12/2006 7:57 pm
That's why they call it a "Hammer" on :)

But it's gonna hurt for awhile on an Acoustic.
# 6
I-don't-carican
I-don't-carican
01/12/2006 8:25 pm
Originally Posted by: RevRazThat's why they call it a "Hammer" on :)

But it's gonna hurt for awhile on an Acoustic.

Yea, a hammer on. I'd almost need a hammer to make it sound. >.>

It's not that it hurts cause the callouses are already there but it's just kinda difficult to play a chord, then take your fingers off, hit a fret and quickly go back to a chord. I guess practice is needed. :)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.