playing a barritone guitar

Bender_Blues
Bender_Blues
12/09/2005 5:15 am
I am interested in getting a barritone guitar. Just wondering if anyone out there has one or could share a little information. Like any recorded material or pro players that play one. Thanks
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/09/2005 5:22 am
I suspect that this is in the wrong forum.

Baritone guitars aren't fun if you have small hands.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
12/09/2005 7:28 am
The only proffesional that I can think of that plays a baritone is...Mike Mushok of Staind. God I hate that band.
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/09/2005 12:32 pm
Oooh, everyone hold on tight for the move...

I play a baritone guitar (in addition to a few regular six strings)...I love mine...it is very much a niche instrument, and would probably not work out too well as your main or only guitar, unless you play in an extremely heavy band, or have another guitarist who handles regular guitar duties (also assuming you only play with the band and dont enjoy playing other styles on your own). I used to use my baritone as a weapon in a really really heavy band...but now, I am playing in a much calmer, poppy type prog band, and I use it quite a bit, but clean, and usually for arpeggiated picking patterns etc...or some jazzy licks...but I only use it when there is another guitar around to handle regular duties...so it works well to blend (in fact, I dont play this guitar live anymore...I just record the parts onto my digitech Jam man, and loop them under my other parts...)

In all, I love them, they are definately useful, but not particularly versatile (although, having said that, I use mine in a very non-baritone kinda way, or atleast, non-rock-baritone way).

Mike Mushok uses one exclusively if I am correct...but many rock guitarists use them on certain parts...I know Tom Morello used one on Like A stone(Audioslave) and I'm pretty sure that Tommy Victor of Prong uses one fairly often...I'd say if you are tuning your guitar down any more than one step, you shoudl definately look at a baritone...the only problem being that you cant tune it to standard e should you ever get bored of heavy music.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
12/09/2005 5:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sa
I'd say if you are tuning your guitar down any more than one step, you shoudl definately look at a baritone...the only problem being that you cant tune it to standard e should you ever get bored of heavy music.

Interesting...I tune my guitar two steps down at the most...maybe i should look into getting one. What exactly are they meant for? What is the purpose of having one? Just for heavier sound?
# 5
40ishnewbie
40ishnewbie
12/10/2005 1:47 am
Are you talking about an acoustic baritone guitar, which I've seen and heard played, or an electric?

Jay
# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/10/2005 5:28 pm
well mine is an electric...and beautiful...I reckon if you tune down two whole steps you should definately look into a baritone...

yeah, they have a much heavier sound, and it also allows you to fit heavier strings, because tuned down that low, most regular strings become like elastic bands and just flop about...

try one out and see if it works for you
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 7
Ian Rossiter
Ian Rossiter
12/10/2005 6:12 pm
These are great instruments, and can be used for lot's of different situations. I have a Danelectro Baritone ,and pull it out all the time,especially for Country tunes, 50's stuff and anything that needs some twangy snarl. The Dano came tuned "B" to "B" but I normally use a heavier set and tune "E" to "E" in the same range as the Bass guitar. While I certainly don't play it everyday, it's a cool tool to have in your arsenal. I tend to use it when I'm not the only guitar player in a group.
Lot's of older stuff from the 50's and 60's feature Bari's. They would use em in the studio back when Upright Bass (or even Tuba's in some cases!!!) was the standard. They would overdub Baritone or "tic tac" bass to shadow the upright Bass to make the low end stand out more on small radio speakers and transistor radios.
If your looking to play professionally, you'll eventually find yourself being called to play a gig where these old tunes fill the setlist. Get yer'self an inexpensive Baritone, and bring it to the gig.....you'll be a friggin hero and get called for more work in the future!!!!
Ian
# 8
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/10/2005 6:45 pm
ya so what is a baritone guitar?i wasnt gana ask, but this is my 140th post, and i wanted it FAST lol
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 9
Armenian
Armenian
12/11/2005 5:58 am
baritones are like are cross between guitar and bass. at least sound wise.
# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/11/2005 11:03 am
a baritone is a six string (although Schecter now make 7string baritones) guitar, with a slightly longer scale-length than usual. My Ibanez is 28" rather than the usual 25,5"(Fender) or 24,75"(Gibson) length. This allows the guitar to be tuned to much lower tunings and for much heavier gauge strings to be used...very useful to have, but not as your only guitar.
# 11
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/11/2005 5:45 pm
i see, so its like you do a solo, and then start playing the bass part...lol, pretty pointless, but it could be done
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 12
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/12/2005 3:32 pm
yea, pointless, but possible.
I find soloing on my baritone to be really hard...I got like 15's on there, so it really works the fingers...that said, in my old band(which was alot heavier and angrier than my current band) the only solo I played in the entire set was played on that baritone...and it was a widdly one)
# 13
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/12/2005 9:08 pm
a baritone is a guitar tuned down 5 half steps to B. longer scale length and thicker strings are just to accomodate the lower notes,so yeah, it's inbetween a guitar and a bass.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 14
thewizardguy
thewizardguy
12/13/2005 7:39 am
the baritone guitar is (like he said) 5 half-steps down from standard tuning, and Dave Matthews uses it alot on the Everyday album. He has a genesis electric baritone and it sounds amazing. I use the variax 500 and have modelled this guitar, and damn, it sounds amazing. I use that model in the background live for some nice heavy sound...just like you'd use a capo for the same chord changes but a different voicing -- this is the same thing, just down steps, and its more unique because capos are easier to use than picking up a different guitar, although, with the variax you dont NEED to switch guitars =)

for instance "The Space Between" starts off with A to G on a baritone...what a satisfying sound on that recording...

Acoustic baritone sounds cool, but not as useful imo.

ANd yes, staind does suck...

DAVE MATTHEWS RULES
# 15
gayanbelousova1990
gayanbelousova1990
02/09/2019 10:33 am

A standard guitars tuning (from lowest string to highest) is E A D G B E. Baritone guitars are usually tuned a fifth lower (A D G C E A), or a fourth lower (B E A D F♯ B). Therefore, all the chord patterns you already know are exactly the same on a baritone, but simply produce a lower voice. mobdro

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.