Vocals and your tonsils...

Guitar Tricks Forum > Songwriting > Vocals and your tonsils...

chucklivesoninmyheart

Non-Existent

Just a thought...I have my tonsils,but was wondering the effect of the lack of them.

Do tonsils lend themselves to create a 'rasp' or does the lack of them create different vocal characteristics?

Just a thought...I have my tonsils,but was wondering the effect of the lack of them.

Do tonsils lend themselves to create a 'rasp' or does the lack of them create different vocal characteristics?

Dr_simon

Guitar Tricks Instructor

I don't think it makes a great deal of difference but I could be wrong !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS

Pantallica1

Insert witty remark here

Originally Posted by: Dr_simon

I don't think so either. My brother has no tonsils, and I do. We sound exactly the same. Get mistaken all the time.

I don't think it makes a difference.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.

Originally Posted by: Dr_simon

I don't think so either. My brother has no tonsils, and I do. We sound exactly the same. Get mistaken all the time.

I don't think it makes a difference.

Akira

What purpose do tonsils serve anyway? Confused
You can now find me >here<

You can now find me >here<

paradyme

everyone's voice will have it's own timbre and some will be raspy and some won't- if you are singing properly, the rasp should not be there as proper singing should come from the abdomen primarily. For any old guys like me, remember Steve Martin's tirade about singing from the diaphragm (I mean that's DISGUSTING!) Lol- my bad- anyway, you can make your voice raspy by smoking, etc... generally though, the rasp and cracking and all of that is the result of singing from the throat and not from the abdomen and also tends to make you go flat if you try to hold notes (not enough air in the ol' lungs) for a long period of time.

Hope that's kinda at least a tiny bit helpful!

peace
The rich get richer til the poor get educated.
-Sage Francis

everyone's voice will have it's own timbre and some will be raspy and some won't- if you are singing properly, the rasp should not be there as proper singing should come from the abdomen primarily. For any old guys like me, remember Steve Martin's tirade about singing from the diaphragm (I mean that's DISGUSTING!) Lol- my bad- anyway, you can make your voice raspy by smoking, etc... generally though, the rasp and cracking and all of that is the result of singing from the throat and not from the abdomen and also tends to make you go flat if you try to hold notes (not enough air in the ol' lungs) for a long period of time.

Hope that's kinda at least a tiny bit helpful!

peace
The rich get richer til the poor get educated.
-Sage Francis

Dr_simon

Guitar Tricks Instructor

Tonsils are part of the junction between your lymphatic system and the blood stream.

Tonsils are part of the junction between your lymphatic system and the blood stream.

Pantallica1

Insert witty remark here

Originally Posted by: Akira

I google'd this:

What is the purpose of the tonsils and adenoids?

The tonsils and adenoids are thought to assist the body in its defense against incoming bacteria and viruses by helping the body to form antibodies. However, this function may only be important during the first year of life. In fact, there is no evidence to support a significant role of the tonsils and adenoids in immunity. Medical studies have shown that children who must have their tonsils and adenoids removed suffer no loss whatsoever in their future immunity to disease. The popular myth that they act as filters to bacteria is untrue, not to mention impossible.

Originally Posted by: Akira

I google'd this:

What is the purpose of the tonsils and adenoids?

The tonsils and adenoids are thought to assist the body in its defense against incoming bacteria and viruses by helping the body to form antibodies. However, this function may only be important during the first year of life. In fact, there is no evidence to support a significant role of the tonsils and adenoids in immunity. Medical studies have shown that children who must have their tonsils and adenoids removed suffer no loss whatsoever in their future immunity to disease. The popular myth that they act as filters to bacteria is untrue, not to mention impossible.