Soloing

OldSkoolPunk
OldSkoolPunk
08/16/2000 1:53 am
Ok Im good at Chords and stuff I can do 2 ez solo's but how do you make your own? (Please don't flame me) I have a book about Chords and Scales, but it shows you scales and stuff. They just don't tell you why. So my understanding you taske the key of the song and find the best scale for it. Then you take the scale and play diffent notes out of the scale untill you got a desent sounding solo. Is this correct Any help would be greatful. Also recemend any good books about theory? Laterz

------------------
Love is nothing more than mental illness...

[This message has been edited by OldSkoolPunk (edited 08-15-2000).]
Love is nothing more than mental illness...
# 1

08/16/2000 4:06 am
There's no flaming in this forum- that's why it's so great. It's pretty late so I'll keep it brief. http://www.guitartricks.com/wanlass/blgtheory.shtml

Take a look there, it will get you off to a good start from a theory perspective. Then, look through the trick archive for some riffs to learn.
# 2
Luke
Luke
08/16/2000 4:08 am
Basically how you build a solo is very simple(once you understand how to do it that is).

You take a scale that is in that key and, using your imagination, build a lead.

You don't just randomly finger notes, you have to actually know what it is you are doing.
But that comes with practice and experience.

It sounds like you are a beginner, so I'll let you know about a book that is made for people that want to know theory, but don't have a teacher.

It is called "Teach yourself guitar theory"

It costs about $8 and is useful if you pay attention.
You can get it here
http:/www.musiciansfriend.com
When attempting the impossible, you achieve the best possible
# 3
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2000 7:53 pm
Before you begin work on the solo, you have to know the progression solid. When you create the solo, pay attention to the chord changes in the background and try to target those chord tones in the solo when that particular chord is being played. Done correctly, the solo will 'fit' much better. Also, don't just knock out notes at a constant rate. Think of things you normally wouldn't think of - rhythmic patterns wide leaps and intervals, harmonic sequences, etc. A good solo is usually very melodic (especially important for ballads), not necessarily blazing fast (although speed really fits sometimes), and makes sense rhythmically. It takes a long to time to perfect the craft of soloing.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.