monitors desparately needed!

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/06/2004 12:15 am
That's it! :mad: I'm sick and tired of these crappy computer speakers! Screw all the other stuff I'm gassin' for (for now anyway). I have to get some good powered studio monitors. I don't want to spend more than $300-400 though. doesn't matter if they're used or not (preferably new though). Size doesn't really matter as long as they sound good (well, as good as a flat speaker system will sound), and can get fairly loud. Please somebody help me out :( I'm dying of sound polution over here...
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2004 1:21 am
I use Alesis M1 Active Mk2s and they are great !

You want to look for words like "flat response" (doesn't color the output to make it sound nicer NOT LIKE HEADPHONES !!!). This is very important when you are mixing as flat response monitors enable you to generate a mix that sounds as good as it can on as many different types of stereo as passable, from iPods to car stereos to big old home systems.

Near-field monitors are good to look for as you don't have to worry about the acoustics of the room too much. You set them up at eye level 2 to 3 ft apart from each other in a triangle with your head as the third point.

Bi-amplified is also good as it minimizes distortion from crossover.

Avoid high end headphones as they do several bad things as they make your mix sound nicer than it really is. I once mixed down a track with 3 or 4 vocal parts only to find ALL the harmonies were out when I listened to it on a boom box. Fortunately I was the only one listening to it !

Headphones also alter the spatial distribution of sounds giving a false stereo effect. This can also be very misleading.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/09/2004 5:55 pm
I think I might try to save up for some Mackie HR624's. My other 2 (more realistic) choices are either Alesis M1 MKII's or M-Audio BX8's. I think the BX8's might be too much for an 11' x 11' room being 8" woofers. So, basically, are the mackie's gonna be that much better than the MKII's to justify the extra cost?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/09/2004 6:17 pm
I think it is down to the listener, the environment and even the type of music you are listening to. Near fields are not supposed to be effected by the room they are in however I know my M1s sound different in different rooms !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.