Help with tapping

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > Help with tapping

alright guys im learning fanties impromtu by chopin and theres this part that requires tapping, but on the tapping hand you have to use more than one finger. my problem is when i tap the first note and then move to another string to tap the other 3 notes the first tapped note is still ringing out..i tied a sock around the neck to stop it but it didnt do much good and i lowered the distortion and that helped alittle..any advice??
In memory of Randy Rhoads

alright guys im learning fanties impromtu by chopin and theres this part that requires tapping, but on the tapping hand you have to use more than one finger. my problem is when i tap the first note and then move to another string to tap the other 3 notes the first tapped note is still ringing out..i tied a sock around the neck to stop it but it didnt do much good and i lowered the distortion and that helped alittle..any advice??

Hang on! Do you mean that the note you pulled off onto - and not the one you actually tapped - rang out? if it's just the one you tapped then surely it isn't too hard to release the pressure to kill the note?
this is the kind of question it would be easier to answer if you provided a tab for and mark where you have a problem. That said, Chopin sound bloody ambitious to me and i might not have anything helpful to say..
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?

Hang on! Do you mean that the note you pulled off onto - and not the one you actually tapped - rang out? if it's just the one you tapped then surely it isn't too hard to release the pressure to kill the note?
this is the kind of question it would be easier to answer if you provided a tab for and mark where you have a problem. That said, Chopin sound bloody ambitious to me and i might not have anything helpful to say..
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?

ill try to post tab but ive never done it before

1-------------------------------
2-------------------------------
3----t13po5ho6-------------------
4-------------------------------
5-t11----------------------------
6-------------------------------

my problem is having the 11 fret ring out when i tap it and yea learnin this song is probly a little to much for how long ive been playin but if i practice it enough i will get it..
key: t= tap po=pull off ho= hammer on

ill try to post tab but ive never done it before

1-------------------------------
2-------------------------------
3----t13po5ho6-------------------
4-------------------------------
5-t11----------------------------
6-------------------------------

my problem is having the 11 fret ring out when i tap it and yea learnin this song is probly a little to much for how long ive been playin but if i practice it enough i will get it..
key: t= tap po=pull off ho= hammer on

Insert witty remark here

11th fret rings out when you tap it?

It's supposed too. I don't understand the question maybe, rephrase it?
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.

11th fret rings out when you tap it?

It's supposed too. I don't understand the question maybe, rephrase it?
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.

i know it supposed ring out some but when it rings out to much to were i can barly hear the other note being tapped it completly screws up that section..the mp3 is pretty clear

i know it supposed ring out some but when it rings out to much to were i can barly hear the other note being tapped it completly screws up that section..the mp3 is pretty clear

Crime Fighter

It's your dynamics dewd. Try tapping the bass note alittle softer than the higher tapping sequence, or tap the higher sequence harder (louder). Mess around with it until you find the right balance. An important thing to not neglect in playing classical stuff is dynamics. Playing the right notes at the right time isn't everything. It's also the manner in which you play it that makes it sound good. I hope that helps.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.

It's your dynamics dewd. Try tapping the bass note alittle softer than the higher tapping sequence, or tap the higher sequence harder (louder). Mess around with it until you find the right balance. An important thing to not neglect in playing classical stuff is dynamics. Playing the right notes at the right time isn't everything. It's also the manner in which you play it that makes it sound good. I hope that helps.

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

i don't even know how to tab in the first place... i'v eread the tutorials and they don't make sense to me.
more from the self-proclaimed king of long-winded posts
Fox Magic Jiron - Always with us
now with more long-wind power: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tristan_s/

i don't even know how to tab in the first place... i'v eread the tutorials and they don't make sense to me.

Crime Fighter

What doesn't make sense dewd? Perhaps I can help. Smilie

What doesn't make sense dewd? Perhaps I can help. Smilie

Non-Existent

Just lift your finger off the note or release the pressure before you go to tap on the other string...seems pretty simple
Try once,fail twice...

Just lift your finger off the note or release the pressure before you go to tap on the other string...seems pretty simple
Try once,fail twice...

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

Okay, I take it back for the most part... after that post I revisited Schmange's tutorial and in a half hour I was tapping with three fingers (right index, left index and ring). I let one of my friends borrow my MT-2 to record, and now I can't wait to get it back to try that with it, since it adds sustain.

I think that it's mostly a matter of strengthening up your hands and it really is practice makes perfect, because you have to get your hands used to and coordinated to all hitting the strings/frets in the right order; it's a big take off from normal picking. I know it's probably not the classiest thing to give advice after you've been doing something for 8 hours, but playing some chords low on the fretboard (picking), then tapping quickly up the fretboard with your left hand and going to a solo (picking again) higher up seems to help dexterity.

Now i just need help sweeping and alternate picking. I seem to be able to do this sporadically: one day I can do it great, the next, not at all.

Okay, I take it back for the most part... after that post I revisited Schmange's tutorial and in a half hour I was tapping with three fingers (right index, left index and ring). I let one of my friends borrow my MT-2 to record, and now I can't wait to get it back to try that with it, since it adds sustain.

I think that it's mostly a matter of strengthening up your hands and it really is practice makes perfect, because you have to get your hands used to and coordinated to all hitting the strings/frets in the right order; it's a big take off from normal picking. I know it's probably not the classiest thing to give advice after you've been doing something for 8 hours, but playing some chords low on the fretboard (picking), then tapping quickly up the fretboard with your left hand and going to a solo (picking again) higher up seems to help dexterity.

Now i just need help sweeping and alternate picking. I seem to be able to do this sporadically: one day I can do it great, the next, not at all.