Any exercises...

Guitar Tricks Forum > Music Theory > Any exercises...

Joe Pinnavaia

Registered User

Joined: 04/08/10

Posts: 57

Thanks Dan! Glad you got something out of it.

#11

Thanks Dan! Glad you got something out of it.

JonChorba

Registered User

Joined: 11/26/10

Posts: 231

Originally Posted by: Joe
What really helped me was doing one string at a time and saying the note names to myself as I went up the fretboard one step at a time.


http://www.shredaholic.com/fretboard-visualisation.html

Thanks,
Joe Pinnavaia
http://www.joepinnavaia.weebly.com


I did something similar to that, but instead of doing it chromatically, i used major scales.

Great article too, Joe!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!

#12

Originally Posted by: Joe
What really helped me was doing one string at a time and saying the note names to myself as I went up the fretboard one step at a time.


http://www.shredaholic.com/fretboard-visualisation.html

Thanks,
Joe Pinnavaia
http://www.joepinnavaia.weebly.com


I did something similar to that, but instead of doing it chromatically, i used major scales.

Great article too, Joe!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!

gdengelbrecht

Registered User

Joined: 07/07/09

Posts: 34

Originally Posted by: Grandslam15
are there any good exercises to help you learn all the notes on the fretboard? I got all the notes on the 6th and 1st string memorized as those strings use the same notes and there in the exact same spot..but the notes in the middles strings...5,4,3,2....are the ones Im having more trouble with memorizing.
Any good exercises to learn the notes and be confident about knowing the notes?

You might want to connect the same notes on different strings. Example, if one plays a power chord and play the octave with the 4th finger like some do - the notes on the 1st and 4th fingers are the same...the higher note is just an octave higher than the root.

This is only one way though.
http://www.georgeshredking.com/

http://guitarlessonsinvredenburg.com/

#13

Originally Posted by: Grandslam15
are there any good exercises to help you learn all the notes on the fretboard? I got all the notes on the 6th and 1st string memorized as those strings use the same notes and there in the exact same spot..but the notes in the middles strings...5,4,3,2....are the ones Im having more trouble with memorizing.
Any good exercises to learn the notes and be confident about knowing the notes?

You might want to connect the same notes on different strings. Example, if one plays a power chord and play the octave with the 4th finger like some do - the notes on the 1st and 4th fingers are the same...the higher note is just an octave higher than the root.

This is only one way though.
http://www.georgeshredking.com/

http://guitarlessonsinvredenburg.com/

Stephen Quinn

Registered User

Joined: 03/18/12

Posts: 57

You can also start with just one or two notes, find these notes all over the fretboard them focus on memorising them. Then pick two more notes and do the same again.

#14

You can also start with just one or two notes, find these notes all over the fretboard them focus on memorising them. Then pick two more notes and do the same again.

MarcusWiesner

Registered User

Joined: 04/09/11

Posts: 34

I am going to tell you the fastest way to really do it. Memorize all of the natural notes first. Here is the method:

The fastest way to do it is to memorize the four note "core" of BCEF and the two notes above them, D and G, then memorize the two notes below them, A and D. Play in the key of C for about a month straight, and don't falter from it, stay in the key of C only until you can visualize it up and down the fretboard, then start on this task of BCEF, then the two notes above and below that.

Divide the fretboard into two-string playing areas, the EA area, the DG area, and the BE area, and then connect all of those four-note per string patterns together (all of the ABCD-DEFG patterns). Once you have done that, then memorize the remaining pattern of EFG-ABC, which is an offset pattern. Then practice connecting every one of these patterns while naming the notes out loud every day for 10 minutes every day for a week, and go back to it at least once a week every week after until you know every one.

Once you know all of the natural notes you will know all of the enharmonic names for all of the notes in between with little more than a second's thought.

#15

I am going to tell you the fastest way to really do it. Memorize all of the natural notes first. Here is the method:

The fastest way to do it is to memorize the four note "core" of BCEF and the two notes above them, D and G, then memorize the two notes below them, A and D. Play in the key of C for about a month straight, and don't falter from it, stay in the key of C only until you can visualize it up and down the fretboard, then start on this task of BCEF, then the two notes above and below that.

Divide the fretboard into two-string playing areas, the EA area, the DG area, and the BE area, and then connect all of those four-note per string patterns together (all of the ABCD-DEFG patterns). Once you have done that, then memorize the remaining pattern of EFG-ABC, which is an offset pattern. Then practice connecting every one of these patterns while naming the notes out loud every day for 10 minutes every day for a week, and go back to it at least once a week every week after until you know every one.

Once you know all of the natural notes you will know all of the enharmonic names for all of the notes in between with little more than a second's thought.

treeder

Registered User

Joined: 11/22/11

Posts: 39

These videos have been tremendous in helping me learn the individual notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzB2_O8GGM

#16

These videos have been tremendous in helping me learn the individual notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzB2_O8GGM

john of MT

Full Access

Joined: 10/08/09

Posts: 847

Originally Posted by: treeder
These videos have been tremendous in helping me learn the individual notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzB2_O8GGM


Nice.....!

#17

Originally Posted by: treeder
These videos have been tremendous in helping me learn the individual notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzB2_O8GGM


Nice.....!

Sgt Tee

Registered User

Joined: 07/30/10

Posts: 294

Originally Posted by: Slipin
Check this link out, its a game you can play that will help you memorize the fretboard:

http://www.fretboardmaster.com/fretboardgame.html


This is very cool ,Thanks

#18

Originally Posted by: Slipin
Check this link out, its a game you can play that will help you memorize the fretboard:

http://www.fretboardmaster.com/fretboardgame.html


This is very cool ,Thanks

gdengelbrecht

Registered User

Joined: 07/07/09

Posts: 34

Just start off with the notes in the C Major scale, learn the modes and learn to improvise over a back track with those modes...this way you will internalize the modes faster and also apply them in a musical setting which is great!
http://www.georgeshredking.com/

http://guitarlessonsinvredenburg.com/

#19

Just start off with the notes in the C Major scale, learn the modes and learn to improvise over a back track with those modes...this way you will internalize the modes faster and also apply them in a musical setting which is great!
http://www.georgeshredking.com/

http://guitarlessonsinvredenburg.com/