New blues learning system dvd set

Guitar Tricks Forum > Blues Learning System DVDs > New blues learning system dvd set

matonanjin

I didn't know whether to post this here, Open Discussion or Guitar basics.

I just got the email encouraging me to buy the new Blues Learning System DVD set. Looks enticing since blues is where my interest lies.

But how is this any different than just going through the Core Learning system Level 1 (where I'm currently at) then level 2 and then up the Blues "tree"?

Am I missing something?

I just got the email encouraging me to buy the new Blues Learning System DVD set. Looks enticing since blues is where my interest lies.

But how is this any different than just going through the Core Learning system Level 1 (where I'm currently at) then level 2 and then up the Blues "tree"?

Am I missing something?

Ohmme

I have the same question in my mind too.

I have the same question in my mind too.

Jon Broderick

Administrator

Sorry about the confusion.

It is the same as core learning system. So there is no need for you to buy the DVD if you are happily plowing through CLS.

In previous customer surveys, we found a lot of people interested in DVDs. So we made them. We are excited about it, it was very different for us. Also, we are proud of the onscreen notation, which is one of the things that makes these DVDs better than most DVD products out there.

But you won't learn anything different from core learning system.

I was worried we'd have some difficulty selling both products, and it looks like we do. Eventually, we'll get our messaging straight and it will be less confusing.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

It is the same as core learning system. So there is no need for you to buy the DVD if you are happily plowing through CLS.

In previous customer surveys, we found a lot of people interested in DVDs. So we made them. We are excited about it, it was very different for us. Also, we are proud of the onscreen notation, which is one of the things that makes these DVDs better than most DVD products out there.

But you won't learn anything different from core learning system.

I was worried we'd have some difficulty selling both products, and it looks like we do. Eventually, we'll get our messaging straight and it will be less confusing.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

matonanjin

What is "onscreen notation"?

Originally Posted by: Jon

.... Also, we are proud of the onscreen notation, which is one of the things that makes these DVDs better than most DVD products out there.
Jon

What is this?

ps. Keep in mind I am easily confused!

What is "onscreen notation"?

Originally Posted by: Jon

.... Also, we are proud of the onscreen notation, which is one of the things that makes these DVDs better than most DVD products out there.
Jon

What is this?

ps. Keep in mind I am easily confused!

Jon Broderick

Administrator

We didn't like the idea of a person having to keep a book open in front of them for the notation while watching the lesson on a TV screen. So we put the notation on the TV screen during the lesson.

If you look at the promo video on the DVD sales page you will see plenty of examples.

By the way, I am going to make a DVD forum and move this thread there.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

We didn't like the idea of a person having to keep a book open in front of them for the notation while watching the lesson on a TV screen. So we put the notation on the TV screen during the lesson.

If you look at the promo video on the DVD sales page you will see plenty of examples.

By the way, I am going to make a DVD forum and move this thread there.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

bj2151

Full Access

I'm an avid online GT'er and am always going back to the Blues Level 1 and 2 courses. I purchased the DVD's on a Friday morning and rec'd them on Monday and dove right in. I was thoroughly impressed with the running tablature on the screen, as well as watching it on a 55" screen. IMHO, the only two things the online tutorials offer are the looping and mobility...I use and really enjoy the looping when I really dig in. I'm constantly going back to the Core Blues Level lessons.

Here are my thoughts after a week of enjoying GT on two different mediums:

1. I can watch March Madness and work through the tutorials on line, or...
2. I can pop in the DVD's and blow through a bunch of lessons in full HD and SRS glory, or...
3. I can fall back on the tablature on my Mac while watching the DVD's (the books that come with the DVD's are great, but it's easier to follow on the Mac), or...
4. I can loop segments of lessons on my Mac

I guess my point is after a week with the DVD's, I've found a way to use both at my convenience and in different environments. Hope this helps~

I'm an avid online GT'er and am always going back to the Blues Level 1 and 2 courses. I purchased the DVD's on a Friday morning and rec'd them on Monday and dove right in. I was thoroughly impressed with the running tablature on the screen, as well as watching it on a 55" screen. IMHO, the only two things the online tutorials offer are the looping and mobility...I use and really enjoy the looping when I really dig in. I'm constantly going back to the Core Blues Level lessons.

Here are my thoughts after a week of enjoying GT on two different mediums:

1. I can watch March Madness and work through the tutorials on line, or...
2. I can pop in the DVD's and blow through a bunch of lessons in full HD and SRS glory, or...
3. I can fall back on the tablature on my Mac while watching the DVD's (the books that come with the DVD's are great, but it's easier to follow on the Mac), or...
4. I can loop segments of lessons on my Mac

I guess my point is after a week with the DVD's, I've found a way to use both at my convenience and in different environments. Hope this helps~

Jon Broderick

Administrator

bj2151,
Thank you so much for posting this. It really helps us to understand how people use the different mediums. It was fun for us to work on the DVD, and a little frustrating because we are used to a website, where nothing is ever done. You can always make a change to a website a week later and fix something. Once a DVD is sent, it is sent. So we had to do a lot QA, and that was useful to us in thinking about how to do our lessons.

Let us know if you have other thoughts. Also, anybody else with comments about the DVD experience, we'd love to hear from you.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

bj2151,
Thank you so much for posting this. It really helps us to understand how people use the different mediums. It was fun for us to work on the DVD, and a little frustrating because we are used to a website, where nothing is ever done. You can always make a change to a website a week later and fix something. Once a DVD is sent, it is sent. So we had to do a lot QA, and that was useful to us in thinking about how to do our lessons.

Let us know if you have other thoughts. Also, anybody else with comments about the DVD experience, we'd love to hear from you.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

SebastBerg

Full Access

I think the dvd's is a great idea. Now you get to reach people who wants to learn online with monthly payments and the ones who prefer one payment and enjoy the lessons on there tv without monthly payments. Double the student and offcourse the money Wink
In the end it's all about what motivates you the most. Personally I prefer monthly payments and access to the site but occasionally I go buy dvd's on licklibrary.com. If GT manages to combine both, I will be very pleased. I'm pretty sure we will be seeing other dvds in the futur if this one sells well Smilie
Keep up the great work GT folks!
- Seb
www.sebastienberger.com

I think the dvd's is a great idea. Now you get to reach people who wants to learn online with monthly payments and the ones who prefer one payment and enjoy the lessons on there tv without monthly payments. Double the student and offcourse the money Wink
In the end it's all about what motivates you the most. Personally I prefer monthly payments and access to the site but occasionally I go buy dvd's on licklibrary.com. If GT manages to combine both, I will be very pleased. I'm pretty sure we will be seeing other dvds in the futur if this one sells well Smilie
Keep up the great work GT folks!
- Seb
www.sebastienberger.com

ButtScratcher

Full Access

Blues Learning System!

Originally Posted by: matonanjin

Am I missing something?

I have just took the chance of buying this, and on the "THIRD" DVD I am still being taught repeatedely HOW TO HOLD A PICK!
The email sales pitch is very missleading! It is suited for kinder garden students :-(

Blues Learning System!

Originally Posted by: matonanjin

Am I missing something?

I have just took the chance of buying this, and on the "THIRD" DVD I am still being taught repeatedely HOW TO HOLD A PICK!
The email sales pitch is very missleading! It is suited for kinder garden students :-(

Neal Walter

GuitarTricks Channel Host

Hi ButtScratcher,

The Core Learning System is included in the DVD set. So when you're on disc 3, you're on Guitar Fundamentals 2.

It sounds like you're at a more advanced skill level than this, so you'll want to skip ahead to disc 6 where the Blues Level 1 lessons begin.

Thanks for your feedback.
Neal
GT Channel Host
[/COLOR]
http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/

Hi ButtScratcher,

The Core Learning System is included in the DVD set. So when you're on disc 3, you're on Guitar Fundamentals 2.

It sounds like you're at a more advanced skill level than this, so you'll want to skip ahead to disc 6 where the Blues Level 1 lessons begin.

Thanks for your feedback.
Neal
GT Channel Host
[/COLOR]
http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/