How long to play slipknot songs

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > How long to play slipknot songs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raskolnikov
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ketsueki15
there songs are really easy but the practice routine mick showed in the guitar magazine is a killer..u guys say they suck..hey obviously they dont to some other wise they wouldnt be selling albums.[/QUOTE]
1). Since the Backstreet Boys sell more records than Slipknot, they must be better, right?
[/QUOTE]

Nah, Slipknot write their own music, and it sells millions of records, therefore they obviously have talent.

Whoever writes the Backstreet Boys songs, I believe one of the members writes them plus probably proffessional songwriters, is obviously talented too if they can write catchy songs people like and buy.

there songs are really easy but the practice routine mick showed in the guitar magazine is a killer..u guys say they suck..hey obviously they dont to some other wise they wouldnt be selling albums.[/QUOTE]
1). Since the Backstreet Boys sell more records than Slipknot, they must be better, right?
[/QUOTE]

Nah, Slipknot write their own music, and it sells millions of records, therefore they obviously have talent.

Whoever writes the Backstreet Boys songs, I believe one of the members writes them plus probably proffessional songwriters, is obviously talented too if they can write catchy songs people like and buy.

Guitar Tricks Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karma In The South
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
It doesn't take talent to follow a long established formula, make slight alterations and churn out cheap records that thousands and thousands of people will gobble up. Business sense, a little foresight, yes, but neither business sense nor foresight really count as "musical talent" in my book.

Marketing((Group of attractive, well manicured young men + dance routines) + ("poppy" music - anything original + pocket beats)) = A lot of teen girls and top 40 radio time

Marketing(foul language+moderately heavy music+gimmick-originality) = Angsty teen boys and angry men with no necks who want to mosh
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
It doesn't take talent to follow a long established formula, make slight alterations and churn out cheap records that thousands and thousands of people will gobble up. Business sense, a little foresight, yes, but neither business sense nor foresight really count as "musical talent" in my book.

Marketing((Group of attractive, well manicured young men + dance routines) + ("poppy" music - anything original + pocket beats)) = A lot of teen girls and top 40 radio time

Marketing(foul language+moderately heavy music+gimmick-originality) = Angsty teen boys and angry men with no necks who want to mosh
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

Insert witty remark here

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So True.

Marketing is not good for the music industry. Since marketing is based on the fact that you are making products to fit into what people want. Well, it was ok with one band, but now no one has broken the mold. They keep marketing the same type of nu-metal crap.

I believe that Slipknot has talented musicians, heck, I like Stone Sour. Corey Taylor is an awesome singer, and Mick can shred. But when you try to sound like crap, as Rask said, it's insulting.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So True.

Marketing is not good for the music industry. Since marketing is based on the fact that you are making products to fit into what people want. Well, it was ok with one band, but now no one has broken the mold. They keep marketing the same type of nu-metal crap.

I believe that Slipknot has talented musicians, heck, I like Stone Sour. Corey Taylor is an awesome singer, and Mick can shred. But when you try to sound like crap, as Rask said, it's insulting.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

Talent is in the eye of the beholder...

that said, I hate Slipknot, and almost as much as I hate them, I enjoy laughing at/making fun of their diehard fans... I've heard some of the guitarist's solo album and it is pretty good, not ground breaking, but good... which makes me wonder why it is that he/they sound so uninspired and whatever in their most successful pursuit.

Slipknot sells records because their music is simple, loud and fast; their fans, most of whom seem to be middle to upper class 12-16 year old males who are overweight or underweight, have a list of self-diagnosed mental and emotional issues that go out the door and down the block, like to act like they hate everything but really think life is kinda cool, and can't get dates, seem to enjoy popping in CD's and just going "check it out: DUHNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUUUUUUUUH!!!!!" and headbanging along to the music, while their friends go "that's fukking awesome" and they talk about how they all know karate, know all about guns, have scored 55 times when in fact they've never kissed a girl before, etc.

It's beginner metal. It's like you know how they say marijuana is the starter drug? Slipknot and bands like them are starter metal bands. They aren't really all that metally, they aren't really all that amazingly talented, but they do the job, kinda, and make it so you can later appreciate bands like Refused. The four, skinny, knit-sweater-wearing Swedish vegans of Refused would make Slipknot and its fans cry for things to be turned down a little.

But then I like Jamiroquai and Daft Punk... so what do I know...?
more from the self-proclaimed king of long-winded posts
Fox Magic Jiron - Always with us
now with more long-wind power: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tristan_s/

Talent is in the eye of the beholder...

that said, I hate Slipknot, and almost as much as I hate them, I enjoy laughing at/making fun of their diehard fans... I've heard some of the guitarist's solo album and it is pretty good, not ground breaking, but good... which makes me wonder why it is that he/they sound so uninspired and whatever in their most successful pursuit.

Slipknot sells records because their music is simple, loud and fast; their fans, most of whom seem to be middle to upper class 12-16 year old males who are overweight or underweight, have a list of self-diagnosed mental and emotional issues that go out the door and down the block, like to act like they hate everything but really think life is kinda cool, and can't get dates, seem to enjoy popping in CD's and just going "check it out: DUHNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUUUUUUUUH!!!!!" and headbanging along to the music, while their friends go "that's fukking awesome" and they talk about how they all know karate, know all about guns, have scored 55 times when in fact they've never kissed a girl before, etc.

It's beginner metal. It's like you know how they say marijuana is the starter drug? Slipknot and bands like them are starter metal bands. They aren't really all that metally, they aren't really all that amazingly talented, but they do the job, kinda, and make it so you can later appreciate bands like Refused. The four, skinny, knit-sweater-wearing Swedish vegans of Refused would make Slipknot and its fans cry for things to be turned down a little.

But then I like Jamiroquai and Daft Punk... so what do I know...?

Dude this 'Refused' band seems interesting...do you know where i can hear some of their stuff??? i have alot of friends who absolutely love slipknot so i've found that some of there more "melodic" songs such as 'Me Inside' can be kind of entertaining....but tell me more about this 'Refused' i think i am ery open-minded and will listen to anything that seems to be decent music to decide if it really is or not...
....What a long, strange trip its been.....

Dude this 'Refused' band seems interesting...do you know where i can hear some of their stuff??? i have alot of friends who absolutely love slipknot so i've found that some of there more "melodic" songs such as 'Me Inside' can be kind of entertaining....but tell me more about this 'Refused' i think i am ery open-minded and will listen to anything that seems to be decent music to decide if it really is or not...

check out arch enemy..there guitarist are really really good..sorta like melodic metal somewat.ther from sweden
In memory of Randy Rhoads

check out arch enemy..there guitarist are really really good..sorta like melodic metal somewat.ther from sweden
In memory of Randy Rhoads

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

Refused is a Swedish hardcore-punk-metal band that released CD's from the early 90's; their last CD was recorded in 98 or 99, and released in 99 or 00 (i'm not positive which).

If you want to hear an example of Refused at their angriest, loudest, and most melodic, check out the songs New Noise and Worms of the Senses/Faculties Of The Skull. They will tear your face off.

Other great songs include Sunflower Princess (this song reminds me of a girlfriend of mine who died; first of all, she loved sunflowers, had sunflower jewelry, shirts, etc. When I found out she died in a shooting, I told the friend who told me to shut up, and never listened to anything anyone said about it. I've also never cried over it. in the outro, the lead singer wails "i won't listen, i won't cry, sunflower princess" in a furitive, desperate tone), Burn It, Pretty Face, Protest Song '68, and Liberation Fequency. Damn, anything they do is good.

There's another song called Tannhauser/Derive (sp?) which uses violin, upright bass and viola with electric guitar and hardcore drums, to create a really beautiful, deadly sound. It makes me feel like a murder in winter...

Refused is a Swedish hardcore-punk-metal band that released CD's from the early 90's; their last CD was recorded in 98 or 99, and released in 99 or 00 (i'm not positive which).

If you want to hear an example of Refused at their angriest, loudest, and most melodic, check out the songs New Noise and Worms of the Senses/Faculties Of The Skull. They will tear your face off.

Other great songs include Sunflower Princess (this song reminds me of a girlfriend of mine who died; first of all, she loved sunflowers, had sunflower jewelry, shirts, etc. When I found out she died in a shooting, I told the friend who told me to shut up, and never listened to anything anyone said about it. I've also never cried over it. in the outro, the lead singer wails "i won't listen, i won't cry, sunflower princess" in a furitive, desperate tone), Burn It, Pretty Face, Protest Song '68, and Liberation Fequency. Damn, anything they do is good.

There's another song called Tannhauser/Derive (sp?) which uses violin, upright bass and viola with electric guitar and hardcore drums, to create a really beautiful, deadly sound. It makes me feel like a murder in winter...

koooooooool

koooooooool

I know a couple of Refused songs, Im not sure how I found out about them but I like them, Ive looked for their albums around and cant seem to find any. I like Tannhauser, its epic but completely listenable, its not pretentious as most 8 minute orchestral/metal pieces tend to be. Ill get a couple of the songs you mentioned PonyOne, I know a couple of swedes so Ill see about getting an album of theirs.

I know a couple of Refused songs, Im not sure how I found out about them but I like them, Ive looked for their albums around and cant seem to find any. I like Tannhauser, its epic but completely listenable, its not pretentious as most 8 minute orchestral/metal pieces tend to be. Ill get a couple of the songs you mentioned PonyOne, I know a couple of swedes so Ill see about getting an album of theirs.

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

Refused broke up in '98-99, and the demand for their CD's comes and goes, so their label, Burning Heart, which produces a bunch of other Swedish bands, has let the CD production take a back burner to albums by The Hives and such.

Here's a link to where you can buy the CD's: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=music&field-keywords=refused&search-type=ss&bq=1/104-6387308-1638314

I have two CD's, Everlasting and The Shape Of Punk To Come. Everlasting was recorded in '97, and is more traditional punk hardcore with some death metal thrown into the mix (as witness to Sunflower Princess). It also has some really killer double pedalling. The Shape Of Punk To Come is arguable their best; they had more of a budget to record and so could afford to get a little more experimental with their production as well as their instrumentation. You have moments of extreme artistry with songs like Tannhauser (which they play the first part of on NPR as background sometimes!), and you have moments of pure death hardcore exstacy as like New Noise.

Refused broke up in '98-99, and the demand for their CD's comes and goes, so their label, Burning Heart, which produces a bunch of other Swedish bands, has let the CD production take a back burner to albums by The Hives and such.

Here's a link to where you can buy the CD's: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=music&field-keywords=refused&search-type=ss&bq=1/104-6387308-1638314

I have two CD's, Everlasting and The Shape Of Punk To Come. Everlasting was recorded in '97, and is more traditional punk hardcore with some death metal thrown into the mix (as witness to Sunflower Princess). It also has some really killer double pedalling. The Shape Of Punk To Come is arguable their best; they had more of a budget to record and so could afford to get a little more experimental with their production as well as their instrumentation. You have moments of extreme artistry with songs like Tannhauser (which they play the first part of on NPR as background sometimes!), and you have moments of pure death hardcore exstacy as like New Noise.