4 guitarists who changed music forever

Guitar Tricks Forum > Newsletter Articles > 4 guitarists who changed music forever

rtgray7

Most influincial Guitarist

Great read. Very interesting including Cobain. I can't disagree. I've had the conversation/debate concerning him before. I've always thought Prince was VERY underrated for his skill and much more for his influence on the music scene. Your thoughts?

Also, although his was a totally different style and not as popular in mainstream circles, Chet Atkins has influenced a lot of guitarist like Mark Knophler...

Most influincial Guitarist

Great read. Very interesting including Cobain. I can't disagree. I've had the conversation/debate concerning him before. I've always thought Prince was VERY underrated for his skill and much more for his influence on the music scene. Your thoughts?

Also, although his was a totally different style and not as popular in mainstream circles, Chet Atkins has influenced a lot of guitarist like Mark Knophler...

James Sheasgreen

i dunno Kurt Cobain was one of the reasons I started playing but I never really felt pushed to become a greater player because he never did.....Until I started looking at some other guitarists and genres. Now I still like Nirvana but I feel like without a singer their songs are kinda lame.

i dunno Kurt Cobain was one of the reasons I started playing but I never really felt pushed to become a greater player because he never did.....Until I started looking at some other guitarists and genres. Now I still like Nirvana but I feel like without a singer their songs are kinda lame.

PazNY

Best of all time.

I agree with someone above, Les Paul, though he was a very good guitarist, should truly be called the "Inventor" of Rock and Roll. If he didn't invent the electric guitar, all the others still would have been playing acoustic folk or blues. But, my two votes whom to me, should be included or at least be a footnote to those mentioned, have to be David Gilmour and Chet Atkins. Pink Floyd should have been called the "David Gilmore band" for his unheralded solo's of which are so melodic and flowed within the parameters of the song and other instruments, sometimes you don't even realize the main ingredient is his guitar. And what can I say about the incredible Mr. Atkins. That man made his guitar sing like no other, just ask Mark Knoffler. If you ever get a chance to watch old footage of Chet playing with a band, you can't help notice the other musicians freaking out at times listening to what he's playing. Just my 2 cents.

Best of all time.

I agree with someone above, Les Paul, though he was a very good guitarist, should truly be called the "Inventor" of Rock and Roll. If he didn't invent the electric guitar, all the others still would have been playing acoustic folk or blues. But, my two votes whom to me, should be included or at least be a footnote to those mentioned, have to be David Gilmour and Chet Atkins. Pink Floyd should have been called the "David Gilmore band" for his unheralded solo's of which are so melodic and flowed within the parameters of the song and other instruments, sometimes you don't even realize the main ingredient is his guitar. And what can I say about the incredible Mr. Atkins. That man made his guitar sing like no other, just ask Mark Knoffler. If you ever get a chance to watch old footage of Chet playing with a band, you can't help notice the other musicians freaking out at times listening to what he's playing. Just my 2 cents.

Chrispycritter

Dissappointed also..

Chuck Berry (brought rockin blues to the masses)
Hendrix (hammer on chord changes effected a lot of songs)
EVH (took tapping and Trems to the masses)
Les Paul (Inovator of guitars, parts, multitrack recordings etc)
(if Leo fender had learned to play guitar he'd be on my list as well)

Les Paul almost didn't make the list but the title is
what guitarist changed music forever, he didn't change it
musically as much as he did with invention..

Honorable mentions (just to name a few and give reasons)

Uli Jon Roth, I understand although he was/is amazing I don't think he impacted mainstream music as much (the title is 4 guitarists that changed music forever)

Chet Atkins wasn't even listed (he was doing too handed tapping in country long before EVH invented it.)

Satriani effected guitar music very profoundly as an instructor
as well as a player. How many groups would have never even
been what they were?

If the title was "4 guitarists that changed music forever in a bad way"
then I'd add Kurt Cobain and Korn to the list

Dissappointed also..

Chuck Berry (brought rockin blues to the masses)
Hendrix (hammer on chord changes effected a lot of songs)
EVH (took tapping and Trems to the masses)
Les Paul (Inovator of guitars, parts, multitrack recordings etc)
(if Leo fender had learned to play guitar he'd be on my list as well)

Les Paul almost didn't make the list but the title is
what guitarist changed music forever, he didn't change it
musically as much as he did with invention..

Honorable mentions (just to name a few and give reasons)

Uli Jon Roth, I understand although he was/is amazing I don't think he impacted mainstream music as much (the title is 4 guitarists that changed music forever)

Chet Atkins wasn't even listed (he was doing too handed tapping in country long before EVH invented it.)

Satriani effected guitar music very profoundly as an instructor
as well as a player. How many groups would have never even
been what they were?

If the title was "4 guitarists that changed music forever in a bad way"
then I'd add Kurt Cobain and Korn to the list

SebastBerg

Full Access

Nobody mentioned Joe Pass ! Probably the greatest jazz soloist that ever lived.
Now that guy had great technique but on top of that he had tremendous ability to sing emotions with his guitar. No doubt he inspired a lot of great guitar players from many styles.
I would also had Andres Segovia. He's one of the big reason why guitar became the most widely played instrument on the planet. He also made everyone in the classic domain go:" oh wow, this is more then a "gypsy" instrument !"
- Seb
www.sebastienberger.com

Nobody mentioned Joe Pass ! Probably the greatest jazz soloist that ever lived.
Now that guy had great technique but on top of that he had tremendous ability to sing emotions with his guitar. No doubt he inspired a lot of great guitar players from many styles.
I would also had Andres Segovia. He's one of the big reason why guitar became the most widely played instrument on the planet. He also made everyone in the classic domain go:" oh wow, this is more then a "gypsy" instrument !"
- Seb
www.sebastienberger.com

wildwoman1313

Full Access

Thanks for your comments, guys. Lots of inspired names tossed into the ring. Rtgray7, although Prince is certainly a mesmerizing, versatile, highly skilled (and yes, underrated) guitarist, I wouldnt necessarily include him on a list of guitarists who changed music forever. But youre right, he has influenced many. And PazNY, youre preaching to the choir when it comes to Gilmour. Wink

Thanks for your comments, guys. Lots of inspired names tossed into the ring. Rtgray7, although Prince is certainly a mesmerizing, versatile, highly skilled (and yes, underrated) guitarist, I wouldnt necessarily include him on a list of guitarists who changed music forever. But youre right, he has influenced many. And PazNY, youre preaching to the choir when it comes to Gilmour. Wink

gypsyblues73

Originally Posted by: Chrispycritter
Satriani effected guitar music very profoundly as an instructor as well as a player. How many groups would have never even
been what they were?

I didn't really think about it until I read this, but without Satch, there possibly wouldn't be a Metallica, as Satch was Kirk's teacher in his teenage years. And there probably wouldn't be a Steve Vai, since Satch was not only Vai's teacher also, but Vai has said that he was always inspired by Joe and would go to see his band play all the time.

And not to take anything away from the man, but Les Paul didn't invent the solid-body guitar. Others had dabbled in such a thing before him, most notably Adolf Rickenbaker. And it was Richard Bourgerie who designed the electric pickup, and he designed one for Les at his request. Les approached Gibson with his ideas for a solid-body, but they stubbornly refused him many times, until Leo Fender came out with the Broadcaster (later, the Telecaster) and Gibson realized they were missing the boat. Les was a helluva guitarist though, and made many other significant contributions to music, including inventing the multi-track.

Originally Posted by: Chrispycritter
Satriani effected guitar music very profoundly as an instructor as well as a player. How many groups would have never even
been what they were?

I didn't really think about it until I read this, but without Satch, there possibly wouldn't be a Metallica, as Satch was Kirk's teacher in his teenage years. And there probably wouldn't be a Steve Vai, since Satch was not only Vai's teacher also, but Vai has said that he was always inspired by Joe and would go to see his band play all the time.

And not to take anything away from the man, but Les Paul didn't invent the solid-body guitar. Others had dabbled in such a thing before him, most notably Adolf Rickenbaker. And it was Richard Bourgerie who designed the electric pickup, and he designed one for Les at his request. Les approached Gibson with his ideas for a solid-body, but they stubbornly refused him many times, until Leo Fender came out with the Broadcaster (later, the Telecaster) and Gibson realized they were missing the boat. Les was a helluva guitarist though, and made many other significant contributions to music, including inventing the multi-track.

mbliss01

Rethinking it:

I thought about this more over the last week or so and considering the intent of the question have to mention:

Maybelle Carter-often considered the originator of the cross picking style that became the bluegrass standard ever after.

Merle Travis- same as above for "chikin pickin"

Carl Smith-again as above but for "inventing" rockabilly style playing.

Theres more, so many more........

Rethinking it:

I thought about this more over the last week or so and considering the intent of the question have to mention:

Maybelle Carter-often considered the originator of the cross picking style that became the bluegrass standard ever after.

Merle Travis- same as above for "chikin pickin"

Carl Smith-again as above but for "inventing" rockabilly style playing.

Theres more, so many more........