Replacing pickups for dummies

Guitar Tricks Forum > Tech Talk > Replacing pickups for dummies

jimku

I am a hopeless pickup swapper

I am a hopeless pickup swapper. I own 10 guitars and only one of them still has the stock pickups in it.

I am a hopeless pickup swapper

I am a hopeless pickup swapper. I own 10 guitars and only one of them still has the stock pickups in it.

2gross4u

Custom Shop Goldtop Les Paul

Here's how I afforded that "Custom Shop" Goldtop Les Paul!!! I bought a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard, a pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquities humbucking pickups and a "50's Style" wiring harness from Jonesyblues and installed in the Epiphone. I did a complete "professional" setup on the guitar and put on a set of "Cleartone" strings. I'll put this guitar up against ANY $3500+ Les Paul out there. Yes, you can get that "special" guitar with excellent tone without selling your Maseratti or "pimping" your wife! Big Grin

Custom Shop Goldtop Les Paul

Here's how I afforded that "Custom Shop" Goldtop Les Paul!!! I bought a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard, a pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquities humbucking pickups and a "50's Style" wiring harness from Jonesyblues and installed in the Epiphone. I did a complete "professional" setup on the guitar and put on a set of "Cleartone" strings. I'll put this guitar up against ANY $3500+ Les Paul out there. Yes, you can get that "special" guitar with excellent tone without selling your Maseratti or "pimping" your wife! Big Grin

johlana

Full Access

I don't mean to rain on your parade Pony One, and I think that replacing a PU while the original is still in is a great idea; but your soldering instructions are going to cause many unknowing newbies out there to have ongoing problems and headaches. I believe this list has instructions for successful soldering, if not I know another does. Read it and follow it. I won't go into detail but most of what Pony One describes to do will lead to bad or cold solder joints which will fail (usually when you least want them to, and can be hard to trace). I'll leave it at that. Learn how to solder first (isn't hard and doesn't take long) and you'll be VERY glad you did.

I don't mean to rain on your parade Pony One, and I think that replacing a PU while the original is still in is a great idea; but your soldering instructions are going to cause many unknowing newbies out there to have ongoing problems and headaches. I believe this list has instructions for successful soldering, if not I know another does. Read it and follow it. I won't go into detail but most of what Pony One describes to do will lead to bad or cold solder joints which will fail (usually when you least want them to, and can be hard to trace). I'll leave it at that. Learn how to solder first (isn't hard and doesn't take long) and you'll be VERY glad you did.