I don't know how to keep time?

guitarplayer98899
guitarplayer98899
06/25/2022 3:40 pm

I've been on a forum before, I ended up making about 20 people mad at me last night on reddit and had to delete the thread/post because I was getting so many thumbs down and people were getting very mad because I was not able to understand what they were saying.

I'm an old man [43 yrs old]. Some of the people were saying go find the song AC/DC Back In Black and count 1,2,3,4 outloud to it, and I was confused and I tried and didn't get what I was counting 1,2,3,4 to. I tried again earlier and I think they were meaning the drum beat. I thought 1,2,3,4 was you count that everytime you hear the guitar play [a guitar chord struck].

So 1,2,3,4 is nothing to do with the guitar playing chords but is referring to the drummer hitting the drum with his drum stick? I don't understand

I thought 1,2,3,4 was to do with the guitar playing and not drum beats?

I'm going to include a clip of me playing to a song [I don't know if GT Tricks will allow me to post a link or not], it's the chorus and it's an easy song, but I am racing trying to get the guitar in racing way too fast, this is my problem that happens over and over again, whereas others that play this song barely move there hands, that is my issue that I simply cannot fix because I'm too ignorant I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6wrCRgPeo

Another song I was trying to do was Twisted Sister - Street Justice [it's an easy song] but I was having to play so fast my hand was on fire and cramping, when other people play this song again they barely move there hand, when I try to play it it's like I feel like I'm trying to immitate the flash from DC comics, I'm playing way too fast, when I play I'm just trying to hit the guitar at the same time, and that is not working because I'm playing too fast. And no I'm not in a band [people always ask that for reason].

I did see a video last night on youtube called "How to Count Music Exercise to help you find the beat in a song" and some lady plays Michael Jackson Billie Jean and has ,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 wrote on a sheet of paper and taps the magic marker to each number, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not?

I am just so confused at this point.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
06/25/2022 6:13 pm

How would you dance to those song? That is the beat. I would start with that.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
guitarplayer98899
guitarplayer98899
06/25/2022 10:09 pm

[[[How would you dance to those song?]]]

I can't dance so whatever people are dancing to I have no clue.

So the beat is not a drum? Then what is it? If it's a song with nothing but a piano playing is that a beat?

# 3
Dshow
Dshow
06/26/2022 9:45 am
Originally Posted by: guitarplayer98899

I've been on a forum before, I ended up making about 20 people mad at me last night on reddit and had to delete the thread/post because I was getting so many thumbs down and people were getting very mad because I was not able to understand what they were saying.

I was going to suggest these lessons from Anders:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=19974

But after watching your clip I guess you already know the basics. My suggestion would be: Play to a metronome and slow down the beat until you comfortably can count without rushing. Practice at this tempo. Then start raising the speed little by little until you get near the tempo of the song.

I also use software like "Transcribe" or similar to slow down the song, so that I can practice the song in a slower tempo.

Which note gets the beat depends on the song and it's time signiture (4/4 3/4, 6/8, ..). There a a few lessons about that on this site. Just search for "Time signiture".

For example Lisas Lessons:[br]https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=23532&s_id=1914

# 4
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
06/26/2022 10:35 am

It's both. The guitar and drum (or metronome) need to be playing at the same speed and same beat. The music determines the beat, the drummer plays the beat and the guitar follows the beat. Of course if you are playing the guitar alone without a drummer or metronome you need to count by taping your foot or nodding your head or whatever.

I would suggest that you do the Guitar Tricks Fundamentals 1 course. In the new Anders course, he fully covers that in Chapter 2.

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 5
guitarplayer98899
guitarplayer98899
06/26/2022 7:30 pm

I took a test on a website called themusiclab and it gives various sounds and you pick either one or two like which is the most out of tune song one or song two. I got correct on all of them, and it had a bunch of other questions and I got correct on all of them also, then It had "Which clip had beeps that were the MOST on the beat?" The beep sounded like a metronome beep, out of 14 of them I got 12 incorrect.

Something else I noticed, people always say tap your foot to the beat of a song when playing guitar, so I tried that earlier to songs over and over and over again, [I was using reaper to record audio of me playing with mp3 songs] and when I would listen back it was worse than usual meaning it was way way off.

I'm guessing this is not normal and is rare for someone to have this problem this bad?

# 6
joe.alteen
Full Access
joe.alteen
Full Access
06/27/2022 12:35 pm

You're not an old guy unless I'm old.....lol (43 here too). Timing is an issue I'm working on as well. I'm finding just going back to basics and playing with a metronome helps but it's still a struggle.

# 7
Wrench42
Full Access
Wrench42
Full Access
06/28/2022 12:50 pm

It's an interesting thing, timing/rhythm it's one of those things that can mess with your brain. it plays on both logic and creativity. . . it ends up on both sides of the fence. You can count it, like counting into a song or keeping time, but you can also feel it almost like a heart beat or a pulse.

So when you were playing along with God Of Thunder, you were ahead of the beat, which you know cause you recognised it, try to slow down your chord changes, so wait just a bit longer before you play the next chord in the song, you'll be able to hear/feel it when it's on. Ends up being whatever works for you cause everybody learns a different way and you have to find that connection where it makes sense to you! Hope this helps or atleast maybe gives you another way to think about it.

oh that age thing, don't let that bother you I got you by more than a few years ;)

# 8
ellismusic1
ellismusic1
08/22/2022 5:04 am

I'm an old man [43 yrs old]. Some of the people were saying go find the song AC/DC Back In Black and count 1,2,3,4 outloud to it, and I was confused and I tried and didn't get what I was counting 1,2,3,4 to. I tried again earlier and I think they were meaning the drum beat. I thought 1,2,3,4 was you count that everytime you hear the guitar play [a guitar chord struck].

So 1,2,3,4 is nothing to do with the guitar playing chords but is referring to the drummer hitting the drum with his drum stick? I don't understand

I'm going to include a clip of me playing to a song [I don't know if GT Tricks will allow me to post a link or not], it's the chorus and it's an easy song, but I am racing trying to get the guitar in racing way too fast, this is my problem that happens over and over again, whereas others that play this song barely move there hands, that is my issue that I simply cannot fix because I'm too ignorant I guess

Another song I was trying to do was Twisted Sister - Street Justice [it's an easy song] but I was having to play so fast my hand was on fire and cramping, when other people play this song again they barely move there hand, when I try to play it it's like I feel like I'm trying to immitate the flash from DC comics, I'm playing way too fast, when I play I'm just trying to hit the guitar at the same time, and that is not working because I'm playing too fast. And no I'm not in a band [people always ask that for reason].

I did see a video last night on youtube called "How to Count Music Exercise to help you find the beat in a song" and some lady plays Michael Jackson Billie Jean and has ,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 wrote on a sheet of paper and taps the magic marker to each number, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not?

Seriously, you are not going to find your answer on here or any other forum.invest in good music theory courses.music theory is progressive and missing a course or two could lead to frustration down the road.

# 9
gavinsolomon
Full Access
gavinsolomon
Full Access
08/23/2022 4:27 pm

First off, I'm nearly 59 and picked up a guitar for the first time last year. Zero previous experience with any instrument. Now, because we are indeed older, our brains take a bit longer to learn new stuff, that's science. But we have patience and determination on our side, so we don't give up as quickly as the kids!

Yes, it's the drum beat, and the guitar should follow that. When there's just a guitar or piano, there's often a repeating line to set the rhythm, though it can be harder to hear.

My guitar Mentor had me install a metronome app on my phone, set it going at 60 beats per minute initially (which feels really slow, but bear with me), then get used to plucking one string in time with the metronome. Then I moved on to strumming one open chord in time - trickier. I slowly increased the speed and introduced more chords.

I've been doing this for just over a year, and I'm only now starting to get it. I definitely recommend the Guitar Tricks fundamentals courses, they build very gradually and get you practicing simple songs to learn the skills you need. I'm now trying out 'real' songs, but I'm still having to be very patient. I'll say the same thing to you as my mentor repeatedly tells me: you can do this, really! Just be patient and start slowly.

Good luck!

# 10
gavinsolomon
Full Access
gavinsolomon
Full Access
08/23/2022 4:28 pm

First off, I'm nearly 59 and picked up a guitar for the first time last year. Zero previous experience with any instrument. Now, because we are indeed older, our brains take a bit longer to learn new stuff, that's science. But we have patience and determination on our side, so we don't give up as quickly as the kids!

Yes, it's the drum beat, and the guitar should follow that. When there's just a guitar or piano, there's often a bass line to set the rhythm, though it can be harder to hear.

My guitar Mentor had me install a metronome app on my phone, set it going at 60 beats per minute initially (which feels really slow, but bear with me), then get used to plucking one string in time with the metronome. Then I moved on to strumming one open chord in time - trickier. I slowly increased the speed and introduced more chords.

I've been doing this for just over a year, and I'm only now starting to get it. I definitely recommend the Guitar Tricks fundamentals courses, they build very gradually and get you practicing simple songs to learn the skills you need. I'm now trying out 'real' songs, but I'm still having to be very patient. I'll say the same thing to you as my mentor repeatedly tells me: you can do this, really! Just be patient and start slowly.

Good luck!

# 11
edithb
Full Access
edithb
Full Access
10/27/2022 7:05 pm
#0 Originally Posted by: guitarplayer98899

I've read your post and the many answers to it.  I can feel your frustration from your comments, and maybe people get frustrated when they try to explain this to you and you don't seem to "get it."

You might be making it too complicated, over thinking it.  Try singing (or just thinking in your head) a very simple melody such as Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.  Try tapping your feet just once as you sing/think each word.  Your feet will tap four times.  Those are four beats.

Now, improvising in a guitar solo on this song (Yeah, I know, it sounds unlikely), you might be playing MANY more than 4 notes, but there are still just 4 BEATS (1,2,3,4) during the duration of "Twinkle,Twinkle,Little,Star" - one beat at the beginning of each word).

If this doesn't help, you might just be one of those rare and unfortunate people who don't FEEL the beat of a song.  I've watched my husband try to tap his toes, or tap his hand on his thigh in time to a song on the radio, and it's usually just random, not at all connected to the rhythm/beat of the song.  He had an experience early in his life with a nasty music teacher who discouraged him from ever participating in music.  That might have caused his inability to connect with rhythm.

I sincerely hope you can find a solution because I can tell you are motivated.  Please let me know how this works out for you.  By the way, I'm 75 so you don't have to think of yourself as old for at least another 30 years!šŸ„°

# 12
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/28/2022 8:44 am

maybe do need to do a couple of simple theory lessons.

because if your playing you must be following the rythm in some form.

If your playing alone your actually setting the beat.

So try thinking  of it as when your playing with someone you have to play together or it would be a mess of notes.

Because there is the time , 4/4, 6/8 8/12

and then there is the tab and value of notes 

4/4 with quarter notes would be 1 beat per metronome click  but 8th notes would be 2 notes per click sometimes with a heavier strum on the metronome click

So,, in 4/4 playing 8th notes you are playing 8 notes in a bar  but the rythm, the beat is on 4 notes per bar

So in drumming it would most likely be the bass drum on the beat and a snare or cymbal playing the other notes.

try to find a free trial for Guitar tricks or only join for one year with a discount.

You will quickly find lessons to take you through all these points.

Probably even find some on good old youtube

and when you think you have the idea someone will then mention Swing beat just to throw you off again.

But again, if your playing you probably ''have it''  your just not sure what the ''It ''  actually is

Dave

edited
# 13
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/28/2022 8:55 am

Sorry

I see you are a registered user.

Maybe because you can play you have skipped past fundamentals.

Both Anders and Lisa cover Rythm  as you learn simple chords.

metronome set to 60 beats but only playing a chord on every first beat of 4

because your playing you can probably play a strum on every beat.  

but it is covered in the fundamental course. 

Beat, bar, eigth , quarter, sixteenth notes

If your playing alone and enjoying the guitar I dare say you might not want to bother with this simple theory stuff

But to play along with someone,  one of you need to understand it a little bit

Dave

edited
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.