tuning

lindaveide
Full Access
lindaveide
Full Access
05/01/2022 10:24 am

Hi! Can enyone help with info? I bought electronic tuner Musedo T29C. But first problem is that I have to tune my guitar every day (acoustic guitar). Should it really be like that? Or there is some issue that I should solve? Everyday that I stat to play, electric tuner shows that strings sould incirrect

also - this tuner sometimes cann not find the strings. shows everything abow, but can not find D string for example. I am making this string looser and tigter, but still tuner does not Show D.

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
05/01/2022 10:38 am

It's perfectly normal to have to retune a guitar every day. You may also have to retune occasionally whilst playing.

As for the tuner not finding the D string, how fresh are the batteries in the tuner?

Another way to get the string close is compare it with the A string pressed on the 5th fret. It's the same note, although it will sound a little different. The tuner should then be able to find the D string. Another possible cause for the tuner not finding it could be you are plucking it too hard or too soft for the tuner to register the vibrations correctly.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
rjmc64
Full Access
rjmc64
Full Access
05/02/2022 7:24 pm

I echo what the previous poster said. You should get in the habit of tuning your guitar each time you sit down to play and assume that it will be slightly out of tune each time. As they stated I also check my guitar while I am playing if something sounds off. I often find that after playing for some time I need to make slight adjustments while I play.

Not sure about how to troubleshoot the issues with your tuner but the previous poster sounded like they had some good ideas.

# 3
jaffrey.holeme
jaffrey.holeme
05/04/2022 8:34 am

agree with the above replies

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/04/2022 1:50 pm

While I whole heartedly agree that one should always play in tune, I'm surprised by the need to tune a guitar every day. It's certainly not in my experience.

I have a 22-year-old Martin D35 and use Elixer phosphor bronze strings. I practice six days a week. [u]One[/u] or [u]two[/u] strings may need returning every other week or so but that's it. I check the tuning once a week with a Snark tuner and the individual strings hardly ever move from dead-on, in tune. When a string does register out of tune according to the Snark, it seldom is great enough for my ears to hear it.

When not in use, the guitar is kept in a case with a fairly steady humidity a bit above Martin's recommendations. The room's temperature is also stable subject to gradual seasonal swings. Strings are changed by the time they hit 100 hours. I don't play gently but I'm far from a hard strummer. All that should help with stable tuning but I think the quality of a guitar and strings are the biggest factors with tuning issues, maintenance excluded.

Or, maybe I'm just lucky.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
05/04/2022 4:24 pm

I have to tune at least one string every time I pick up any of my guitars; usually more than one.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the situation) my hearing can pick up out of tune guitar strings, even if only slightly sharp or flat. I suppose that's one advantage of the free gift of hyper-sensitive hearing that comes as an added bonus with dyspraxia :)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/10/2022 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MT

While I whole heartedly agree that one should always play in tune, I'm surprised by the need to tune a guitar every day. It's certainly not in my experience.

May depend on climate and guitar age though.

In Illinois, I had never had to tune my Tele but down here in Georgia, I have to tune it every time. It's also a reasonable newer guitar (like a little over 3 years old. Right next to it is my 1989 Strat. I never have to tune that. The older 'drier' wood is less prone to climate related changes.

But in general, I have to tune all of them a little bit. I am fussy about tuning but they all do need it a little bit each time I grab one.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.