F chord

linda.arch
Full Access
linda.arch
Full Access
04/17/2022 3:59 pm

I am finding it difficult to play the F chord. Any advice on how to get on top of this particular chord?

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/17/2022 4:56 pm

Ah the infamous F chord.

Which variation of it are you trying to do? Is it the open version pressing down on High E and B strings with index and then middle on G and ring on D strings or are you doing a full Barre version? Where abouts are you in your lessons? Are you comfortable with Barre chords? Believe it or not that might be an easier way, plus if you can learn Barre chords you will open up your guitar playing to a new level. Lisa does a great job of introducing them in her fundamentals two course as I'm sure Anders and Chris do in theirs. If your hell bent on doing the open version for now you could always leave out the high E string and just play the B, G, and D strings to make it an Fmaj7. Doesn't sound too bad in most cases or you could make another version of it called a Triad. Just make a D chord and slide it up to the fifth fret. Your still using the three main notes of the chord. These variations can do in a pinch, but I would still recommend learning Barre chords. They're easier to do on an electric as your starting out. I still don't always get a clean tone when I use the open version, but like everything time and practice will get it a little easier so hang in there.

Good Luck,

Moe

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/17/2022 5:57 pm
Originally Posted by: linda.arch

I am finding it difficult to play the F chord. Any advice on how to get on top of this particular chord?

Sorry for your frustration! Here are a couple of options for working on the F chord.

First just try this triad. This is enough to get the sound of the chord because it contains all the notes you need. For now just do that when you need to practice an F chord in time.

|-----------------------|

|--1--(C)-------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Or if necessary break it down to the diad version.

|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

At a different practice session try working on the upper part. Again this is enough to create a full F chord because it has all the notes you need, just a different voicing! And this one has the advantage of working on the index finger barre.

|--1--(F)------------|[br]|--1--(C)------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Eventually you can work on putting them together after you get a handle on those two different "pieces" of the traditional F chord voicing.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.