Riffs

Elzbth.RN
Elzbth.RN
03/20/2022 11:20 pm

Can someone please explain to me why there’s all the riffs to learn in that one chapter in Anders’ Fundamental 1 course? Why do we do that before learning more chords in the following chapter? Is there a point to it?

Schecter Omen Elite. Hard Rock and Metal. From NC

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/21/2022 12:47 am

Hey Elizabeth, you can ask Anders directly by posting your question in the "Ask Anders Mouridsen" forum. He thoughtfully answers every single question posted in that forum.

I've asked Anders basically that same question in the past, although I was focused on learning theory rather than chords. Anders is of the "If you're having fun, you're less likely to quit" school of thought. Many (perhaps even most) beginners want to start playing (songs, licks, riffs, whatever) as soon as possible, regardless of how small their skill set is at the time. So Anders teaches a lot of techniques up front and later introduces a lot of chords and theory.

Lisa McCormick's Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 courses are radically different from Anders' in terms of approach. She teaches a lot of chords and theory up front. Techniques, riffs, licks come later in the course.

It's a personal preference. Both learning tracks are excellent and both Ander's and Lisa are gifted engaging teachers. I'll go out on a limb and say that given your medical training, you are a "Gotta learn the fundamentals first" type of person (so am I). In which case it would probably suit you better to do Lisa's Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 courses. You can always come back and finish Anders' GF 1 & 2 courses after you've finished with Lisa. That's how I proceded and happy that I did it that way.

Hope that helps. Have a great ride :)

Nicolai

# 2
Elzbth.RN
Elzbth.RN
03/21/2022 2:26 pm

Hi Nicolai! Thank you so much for your insightful reply! What you said about the approach of Anders is what I was thinking. I started the GF 1 with Lisa but, I like the style of Anders better and decided to go with him.

Thank you again for your insightful reply!

Elizabeth

Schecter Omen Elite. Hard Rock and Metal. From NC

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/21/2022 11:31 pm

Well, if you like Anders' style you'll be happy to know that he teaches all four of the advanced level courses (Rock, Acoustic, Blues, Country) as well. I think he's awesome. He's not only an unbelievable guitarist, he's also very dialed-in to teaching - inspirational and empathetic. I think you're going to like it here!

BTW, because so much of American and European music is based on only three chords, you should check out the song catalog and start shredding some beginner level songs. It's a great way to stay motivated to keep going with the sometimes frustrating task of completing the core learning courses.

# 4
Sour_Note
Full Access
Sour_Note
Full Access
03/30/2022 2:09 am
Originally Posted by: Elzbth.RN

Can someone please explain to me why there’s all the riffs to learn in that one chapter in Anders’ Fundamental 1 course? Why do we do that before learning more chords in the following chapter? Is there a point to it?

[br]Elizabeth

Glad to see your question was answered and you got the details you are looking for. Just one follow up. The man in the profile pic looks a lot (and by a lot I mean identical) to Robert Plant. [br][br]

is there a cool story behind this?

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.