8th Notes

linda.arch
Full Access
linda.arch
Full Access
03/11/2022 5:35 pm

When down-strumming 8th notes (1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and), what is the best way of distinguishing the 'and' strums. Is it to play them slightly lighter? Or to play with different open strings? eg. if playing D chord, play with E and A open, not just E.

# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
03/12/2022 12:49 am

Interesting thought Linda-

This may not be your question but generally the main notes that need to be distinguished, unless your playing a syncopated rhythm is the first beat of the measure determined by your time signature.

Now with that said - how you handle an 8th note strum kind of follows what your heart tells you. Sometimes, it's carefully being sure that the notes come clean and evenly tempered. Other times, you feel that a distinguishing the "off beat" 8th notes sounds pretty sweet.

Your question has given me cause to think and a couple of ideas I want to try on some songs I'm working on.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2022 4:50 pm
Originally Posted by: linda.arch

When down-strumming 8th notes (1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and), what is the best way of distinguishing the 'and' strums. Is it to play them slightly lighter?[/quote]

That's one way to do it. But a much more common way is to use upstrums on the upbeats.

I'm not sure what your skill level is, but Anders covers the basics of this in GF1.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=31290&s_id=2686

[quote=linda.arch] Or to play with different open strings? eg. if playing D chord, play with E and A open, not just E.

That can also make your strumming more interesting & musical. It's a slightly more advanced technique called root-chord motion. Anders covers it in GF2 here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=31431&s_id=2708

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.