03/04/2022 11:02 am

The prince range is not a problem!

Share with me your brands.

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
03/04/2022 2:53 pm

Acoustic or electric?

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
7o5krfjlb
7o5krfjlb
03/04/2022 4:56 pm

Actually i have a classic one

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/04/2022 6:44 pm

My go-to strings are:

D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte Classical Nylon Guitar Strings, Silver plated wound[br].028 -. 043 Normal Tension

I've also used:

Savarez S.A. 500CR New Cristal Corum Classical Guitar Strings, Silver plated wound

.028 -. 042 Normal Tension

I use these on a Cordoba C-9 to play basic fingerstyle guitar. Both strings are nice to play with good durability. However, the best string for you will depend on the quality of your guitar, what tension you play at, your skill level and what style of music you typically play (e.g. Folk, Classical, Flamenco, etc). I don't own a top shelf guitar, I'm not an accomplished player and I'm not dancing around the room banging on my guitar and pushing the strings to their limits. So more expensive, higher quality strings don't make sense for me. But they may for you.

The more detailed your question, the better the feedback will be in these groups.

Nicolai

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
03/04/2022 10:36 pm
Originally Posted by: 7o5krfjlb

The prince range is not a problem!

Share with me your brands.

[br]Second recommendation for starting with D'Addario EJ45s to give you a datum from which you can venture and explore over time if you wish. You could go lighter tension EJ43s if preferred, but in nylon strings it's really not required IMV. [br][br]My personal strings of choice for my Classical are EJ45s and Alice AC132-Ns, both of which I use. Presumably you're in the US? If so the go-to for availability would be D'Addarios.

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
03/05/2022 11:32 am

Just restrung my parlour short scale acoustic with John Pearse 12-53

If price is not a factor then experimentation forever is the game.

Everything. Guage and range of guage, material, coated , uncoated.

You will never know until you've tried something different

Dave

# 6
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/05/2022 8:55 pm

Hey there manXcat,

Thanks for the tip and link to Alice. They have a wider range of quality strings than I've ever seen before. Beginner to Master class. I searched "Alice" on all of the big US guitar retailers......chirp, chirp, chirp.

I'll just keep that site bookmarked for when I run out of strings to try on this side of the pond.

Nicolai

# 7
manXcat
manXcat
03/05/2022 11:40 pm

You're most welcome aliasmaximus.[br][br]In conjunction mainly with D'Addario, I've been using Alice strings for electric, acoustic and classical for over four years now. Their electric and acoustic strings are outstanding. They segment manufacture those too to accomodate consumer perception of need and price point, but if you buy and try anything mid-segment in the ranges up, you'd be impossible to please if not well satisfied. [br][br]I'm always up to experiment and not swayed by brand idolatry or peer pressure marketing unless it's backed up by meat 'n taters substantiation as a factual truth. [br][br]Admittedly I was motivated to try Alice initially because of the usurious price of anything imported from America into Australia, partly due exchange rate and a local 10% tax, but also due straight forward price gouging greed by the single line import distributors. In approximate terms, one can triple the price of any item available in USD in the US converted to AUD, which isn't offset by triply proportionate income/earning power, which being retired now and on a fixed income = "look after your pennies, and your pounds will look after themselves".[br][br]Buying Alice permits me to indulge in regular string changes without particular concern for annual expenditure on that item. Over a dozen guitars, that starts to add up. I do buy D'Addario as well for all three genres, but opportunistically in bulk ameliorating their price significantly over single or triple pack buy. Think half or less per set than best price single buy, and more on the LMS in my town hanger price. But, Alice are about half that again even single pack buy and just as readily available to me, or were before the impact of 'COVID shipping tax' impost through reduced space available due international pax flight curtailment over the past two years which is only starting a slow recovery now. Fortunately I had stocked up on both, and had sufficient in reserve to carry me over. [br][br]For electric, I particularly like these, or anything in segments above, in both .9s (-SL) and .10s (-L), and they are very popular with users in worldwide for all the reasons stated above. However Alice coat manufacture these, they feel and sound like D'Addario uncoated, but last a lot longer without corroding at the same rate from exposure to everyday acid sweat of my hands and hanging on the wall hangers in the high humidity and temperature saline sea air where I live. [br][br]Acoustic in Alice I use AWG432s alongside my preferred favourite D'Addarios, EJ16s. Their tonal characteristics work well on both my slimline cutaway and concert full body, and I prefer their (uncoated) feel. Tonally I like and use their phosphor bronze AWG436 as well which are probably closer to the EJ16s tonally, but they are coated.

# 8
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/06/2022 1:22 am

Wow, manXcat, that was a lot of excellent info and some good tips and recs, even a direct link. I'm definitely bookmarking this page! As always, I am impressed both with your guitar knowledge and the clarity of your writing. Thanks for taking the time to compose that.

I have to admit that I needed to look up "usurious". That's a useful additon to my vocabulary in general. I also didn't realize that you were Down Under. So, g'day to you, mate!

Nicolai

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.