Need info on hammer and pulloffs [frustarted]

greengamer8990
greengamer8990
02/03/2022 1:48 am

As the title says "Need information on hammer and pulloffs" AND NOT SINGLES ! I'm adding that. This has become an extreme frustration of mine. [br][br]

This is the problem I am running into over and over again, which is making me about ready to quit guitar because I cannot progress, because this has been going on for months and I am beyond frustrated and cannot move past this because I cannot find the information to proceed forward.[br][br]

I cannot find the information needed to do anything other than the hammer or pull stated with 2 notes What do I mean by two notes?[br][br]

5 7 or 7 5 stuff like that [br][br]Any youtube video will show the above. [br][br]Yet if I were to ecounter say something like the following [br][br]The Following --- > 2 3 2 or 12 14 16 or 13 11 9 [br]or 0 4 0 or 3 4 3 4 3 4 or 5 6 7 8 or 8 7 6 5 [br][br]Here is one from AC/DC The Razors edge that I've been trying to figure out for the last month 0 2 0 [no clue what it's saying to do]. [br][br]I am up the creek without a paddle because I don't know how to do anything beyond the 2, This is killing my progress DEAD.[br][br][br][br]

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
02/03/2022 8:41 am

You woiuld need to use different fingers to play some of these:

The Following --- > 2 3 2 or 12 14 16 or 13 11 9[br]or 0 4 0 or 3 4 3 4 3 4 or 5 6 7 8 or 8 7 6 5

2 3 2 is simple - hold down 2 with index finger, hammer on and pull off with middle finger

12 14 16 - hold 12 with index, hammer on 14 with middle, hammer on 16 with ring finger

13 11 9 - ring finger holds down 9 them pulls off to 11, which would need to be held down by middle finger, which then pulls off to 9, which is held down by index finger. I'd play this by positioning all three fingers at the start. Or you could use pinky, ring and middle fingers instead (or any other combination).

0 4 0 is pluck open string, hammer on 4 with whatever finger, then pulloff with the same finger.

3 4 3 4 3 4 3 4 looks like a "Trill" - fret 3, hammer 4 and pull off, hammer again, pulloff again. Keep 3 fretted throughout.

5 6 7 8 is fret 5 with index, hammer on 6 with middle, hammer on 7 with ring, hammer on 8 with pinky

8 7 6 5 uses same fingers as the above but you'll need to fret 8 with finky and pul off to 6 - again, placing all 4 fingers to start will make it easier.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
greengamer8990
greengamer8990
02/04/2022 1:04 am

DraconusJLM thank you so much, I'm going to take a screen capture and save your answer.

# 3
greengamer8990
greengamer8990
03/20/2022 7:50 am

[[[ 13 11 9 - ring finger holds down 9 them pulls off to 11, which would need to be held down by middle finger, which then pulls off to 9, which is held down by index finger. I'd play this by positioning all three fingers at the start. Or you could use pinky, ring and middle fingers instead (or any other combination). ]]]][br][br]I'm not understanding that. You hold down 9, 11, 13 at the same time then you pull off string 11 with finger, and then you pull off string 9 with finger, but you don't pull your finger off string 13 but leave it their ?[br][br][[[[[ 8 7 6 5 uses same fingers as the above but you'll need to fret 8 with finky and pul off to 6 - again, placing all 4 fingers to start will make it easier ]]]]]]]][br][br]I don't understand that one either. You put fingers holding down 8, 7, 6, 5 and you pull finger off string 6 and leave all fingers on 8, 7, 5? huh? I don't understand what you're saying.

# 4
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
03/20/2022 9:11 am

The numbers aren't strings, they are frets. Hammer ons and pull offs can only be performed on same string .

# 5
greengamer8990
greengamer8990
03/20/2022 10:34 am
Originally Posted by: Tinpan

The numbers aren't strings, they are frets. Hammer ons and pull offs can only be performed on same string .

[br][br]I know it's referring to the frets, I just did not want to type the words Fret 8 string A, fret 7 string A, fret 6 string A, Fret 5 string A...because that would be redundant.[br][br][br]

# 6
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/20/2022 12:42 pm

Extrapolating what little I know about 2-fret pull-offs, I believe that Draconus is telling you to put four fingers on 4 different frets (5 - 8) then first pull your pinky off fret 8 ("pull off 8 to 7"), then pull ring finger off fret 7, then pull middle finger off fret 6, leaving you with your index finger holding down the string at fret 5. Logically and mechanically, you can only do an effective pull-off by lifting the finger that is furthest up the fretboard.

Nicolai

# 7
greengamer8990
greengamer8990
03/20/2022 2:48 pm

I've been on reddit for the last 6 hours with someone trying to explain to me a hammer pull off combo, after several replies I think he finally gave up. I was happy to get a reply from DraconusJLM, so I saved the page into PDF and stuck it in a folder back in February. I never tried to do what was stated, just stuck it in a folder. Now I've decided to look at it, I'm confused on almost everything he said. [br][br]People need to understand who I am, I am the man who failed GuitarTricks and couldn't make it past fundamentals 1, I paid $60 for GuitarTricks and failed and walked away learning almost nothing after 4 months website, and I'm not going to pay money to do that all over again. [br][br]So whatever people are born with that allows them to understand guitar easily and progress through online lessons, I don't have that. [br][br] I know back in the 90s when I went to school I was diagnosed with a learning disability of some sort, so that may be my problem and why I have had an extremely difficult time with the guitar, I mean extremely difficult. [br][br]After 2 yrs of guitar, all I can do is play power chords and some occasional single strings, that's it. But hard rock and metal songs are mainly just power chords with some hammer and pulls, but I guess I was a fool thinking I could learn hammer and pull offs, because it makes no sense to me, just like the guy who was trying to explain this to me on reddit for 6 hours, end result none of it made any sense to me. So I give up, I'm just wasting everyone's time here, because yall won't be able to explain it to me where I can understand.

# 8
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/20/2022 5:12 pm

Hey man, I'm sorry that you're having such a rough frustrating time with this. I think maybe it would help if you took a step back and ask yourself why in god's name do you want to do anything more than a single pull-off. Effectively performing a 8-7-6-5 pull-off maneuver seems like an impossible task for anyone. It's difficult enough to perform a clear audible single pull-off unless you pluck the string with your fretting finger as you pull it off. If you don't know what I mean by this, please watch Anders demonstrating this technique.

Anders is a seasoned professional guitarist and he describes his own single pull-offs as "very faint...but still there". So, if an 8-7 pull-off is almost too faint to hear, then there's no way anybody is ever going to hear you complete the 7-6-5 portion of the 8-7-6-5 operation unless you pluck each note of that progression with your fretting fingers. In which case I would again ask you why....why would you pluck 4 sequential notes with your fretting hand rather than with your strumming hand? Even if a song tutorial did call for a continuous 4-note pull-off (which I've never seen) that's hardly a reason to get hung up there forever. Just [u]don't[/u] do it. Ignore it and move on to play the rest of the song. Don't torture yourself.

Really? A nearly inaudible 4-note continuous pull-off progression in a heavy metal song of all places! If that's really the case with that AC/DC song then it must be there just for show.

In my humble opinion, the only useful pull-off technique is when you combine it with a hammer-on technique, called a trill - where you just keep tapping the same finger up and down on the same fret, like 0-4-0-4-0-4-0-4 or 5-7-5-7-5-7-5. And you already know how to do that. As long as you know how to perform a single hammer-on and pull-off, you can perform a trill. So, where's the big problem that's unconditionally preventing you from enjoying playing songs on this site? You honestly want to quit over that?

Sorry, but we're not going to let you off the hook that easy ;)

I don't mean to make light of your obvious pain but it seems that you are unnecessarily tormenting yourself. Just forget about this particular unnecessary musical tidbit and go finish that AC/DC song already! Unless you're planning on performing that song on "America's Got Talent", there's nothing wrong with just playing the fun parts of the song at high decibels just to cheer yourself up.

Nicolai

# 9
greengamer8990
greengamer8990
04/07/2022 6:19 pm

I've decided to call it quits, I don't have the talent for guitar, it's just too hard for me to learn.

# 10
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
04/07/2022 9:28 pm
Originally Posted by: greengamer8990

I've decided to call it quits, I don't have the talent for guitar, it's just too hard for me to learn.

Hey, join the club. I feel that way nearly every time I pick up a guitar. As a medical professional I can tell from your language and syntax that you most likely do have a learning disorder. But that's not a valid reason to quit.

Elon Musk, the richest person on earth, is autistic. Michael J. Fox has an advanced movement disorder due to Parkinson's and he still plays the guitar. I tell you this not to shame you or to make you feel bad. Rather, I want to remind you that you CAN learn guitar despite the fact that it's more difficult for you, and to warn you that you WILL someday regret having quit. Just trust me on that one.

Pick something easier than that AC/DC song. There's nothing wrong with rocking out to a beginner level song tutorial using just power chords. Despite being relatively easier than playing fancy barre chords, power chords are still very useful. They slowly improve your technique - your accuracy and proficiency in both hands, which will help you down the road. Despite practicing several hours per day, I still haven't come close to playing consistently clean power chords. And IMO, they're fun to play. What you need right now is to have some fun playing the guitar rather than trying to master it.

Don't quit. Find a way to have fun playing one of these frustrating contraptions. You won't regret it.

Nicolai

# 11
mgujda
mgujda
04/07/2022 10:48 pm

Hey, try this. there shoul be a small "H" or "P" telling you what to do.

A forward Slash"/" slide up, a back slash "" slide down.

Good Luck. No given up, Mike

# 12
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/08/2022 4:25 am

You might benifit from live lessons. Many people find that having another person show you what to do is easier to understand than reading about it on the internet... seriously.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 13
jaffrey.holeme
jaffrey.holeme
04/08/2022 5:14 am
Originally Posted by: greengamer8990

You do not have to quits. Learning to play guitar is not that easy for everyone. Try just to do small steps and do not wait for large results.

# 14
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
04/08/2022 6:29 am
Originally Posted by: snojones

You might benifit from live lessons. Many people find that having another person show you what to do is easier to understand than reading about it on the internet... seriously.

That is a seriously good idea snojones, especially for someone who has been diagnosed with a learning disorder. If you're still there greengamer, it would likely take a GT instrucor about 30 seconds to show you definitively how to perform the particular technique that you're so fixated on. What's more, they could spend the rest of the lesson showing you lots of other things that would help you with that particular AC/DC song.

Nicolai

# 15
gulsimsur
gulsimsur
04/16/2022 12:28 pm

I'm not understanding that. You hold down 9, 11, 13 at the same time then you pull off string 11 with finger, and then you pull off string 9 with finger, but you don't pull your finger off string 13 but leave it their ? dickssportinggoods feedback www.lowes.com survey

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.