feeling wrist pain on left hand

Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/14/2021 8:57 am

is it normal to feel wrist pain on left hand when starting out as a beginner? The pain didn't last long, after I stopped playing the pain was gone in less than 30 seconds.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/14/2021 1:51 pm

Your symptoms sound pretty normal for a newbe. Your are using your hands in a stressful way they are not accustom to. This can cause some transitory pain along the way to competence. As long as it goes away quickly when you stop, you are probably not at risk of causing long term problems. What you are describing sound pretty normal.

However, keep an eye on your pain level. If it does not stop when you stop playing the guitar, you should give the guitar a break until you have no pain. Some pain is normal when you are learning a new task, but persistant pain is a warning sign worth heeding.

Also, try shorter practice times until you build up strength in your hands and arms. Also look at how you are holding the guitar. For example...down around your knees, is great for looking like Kieth Richards, but it places greater strain on your hands and wrists. Reviewing GT lesons on how to hold the guitar may also be of benifit.

Use a strap, even when you are sitting down. This will stabilize the instrument in a reliable position, which will take a load off your hands and arms. Holding the guitar by wrapping your body in a knot around it... is not productive. Using a strap can be very helpful in avoiding this pitfall.

If your pain persists, it could be useful to get a professional evaluation of the problem. A Physical Therapist could be of great help in cases of PERSISTANT pain.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/15/2021 10:57 am

it's also a case of putting the guitar to your comfortable hand position rather than taking your hands to the guitar position.

A lot of trial and error.

I found moving guitar to left knee , more of a classical position was more comfortable.

It's very easy to have an exagerrated wrist position which can cause pain

Dave

# 3
Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/18/2021 5:08 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

Your symptoms sound pretty normal for a newbe. Your are using your hands in a stressful way they are not accustom to. This can cause some transitory pain along the way to competence. As long as it goes away quickly when you stop, you are probably not at risk of causing long term problems. What you are describing sound pretty normal.

However, keep an eye on your pain level. If it does not stop when you stop playing the guitar, you should give the guitar a break until you have no pain. Some pain is normal when you are learning a new task, but persistant pain is a warning sign worth heeding.

Also, try shorter practice times until you build up strength in your hands and arms. Also look at how you are holding the guitar. For example...down around your knees, is great for looking like Kieth Richards, but it places greater strain on your hands and wrists. Reviewing GT lesons on how to hold the guitar may also be of benifit.

Use a strap, even when you are sitting down. This will stabilize the instrument in a reliable position, which will take a load off your hands and arms. Holding the guitar by wrapping your body in a knot around it... is not productive. Using a strap can be very helpful in avoiding this pitfall.

If your pain persists, it could be useful to get a professional evaluation of the problem. A Physical Therapist could be of great help in cases of PERSISTANT pain.

thx for the answer, I didn't practice by myself, I was just playing along with Lisa's tutorial on beginner fingerstyle, that play along lasted no more than 3 minutes. Before I reply to your comment here, I was playing along with Lisa again, same thing, wrist pain, but this time it extends from the wrist to my arm, but it went away in less than 30 seconds. I guess I'm good then. Thanks for the insight.

Have a great day.

# 4
Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/18/2021 5:10 pm
Originally Posted by: ddiddler

it's also a case of putting the guitar to your comfortable hand position rather than taking your hands to the guitar position.

A lot of trial and error.

I found moving guitar to left knee , more of a classical position was more comfortable.

It's very easy to have an exagerrated wrist position which can cause pain

Dave

Putting hand to comfortable position is a very great tip. I play with a strap on actually, so I don't think I can have a lot of different positions to choose from.

# 5
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/18/2021 8:33 pm
[/quote]

thx for the answer, I didn't practice by myself, I was just playing along with Lisa's tutorial on beginner fingerstyle, that play along lasted no more than 3 minutes. Before I reply to your comment here, I was playing along with Lisa again, same thing, wrist pain, but this time it extends from the wrist to my arm, but it went away in less than 30 seconds. I guess I'm good then. Thanks for the insight.

Have a great day.

[/quote]

If your pain is increasing, you might want to see a Physical Theripist. What you are trying to avoid is increaing pain. If it becomes a constant thing you have gone to far in pushing yourself.

I have to inform you that I don't have any ablity to diagnos your problem over the interwebz. If that pain is does not go away OR it keeps getting worse BE CAREFUL!! If it happens every time you play a particular piece, you should back off that piece. What you describe could be a problem if you can't learn how to play it without pain. Pain is never your friend.

Any chronic pain should be see by a professional.

I also have to ask how high on your body are you wearing the guitar. Low guitar looks like Keith Richards but it is hard on your joints... because it is inefficent. If you have to bend your wrist to play the guitar... it is probably too low on your body. Look at how your guitar hangs on your strap, while you wear your guitar, in front of a mirror. If you ax is down around your hip... you should try adjusting your strap to hold the guitar higher.

# 6
Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/20/2021 9:28 am

Apparently after reading your comment I realized my neck might be too low and putting pressure on my wrist. I tried to lift it up and it felt better, thanks a lot dude! I will take more time to try tomorrow, gtg rn, my left hand finger tips are painful and have to stop playing today.

[/quote]

If you ax is down around your hip... you should try adjusting your strap to hold the guitar higher.

[/quote]

What does 'ax' mean?

# 7
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/20/2021 2:27 pm

Ax= slang for guitar.

# 8
chemical_fusion
Full Access
chemical_fusion
Full Access
02/07/2023 3:20 pm

Yep sore finger tips are part of the process until you build callouses, you will find when you start out that you can only play for 5 minutes, that will increase as you progress. 

# 9
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2023 5:07 pm

Some really good advice here!

Ergonomics - how the whole of your body is relating to the instrument. Posture, strap length, strap-style, size and style fo the instrument itself, what kind of chair you are sitting in (if you are sitting), tension in the neck and shoulders, and especially in the fingers, hands, and wrists. 

Little adjustments to any of these things can make a ton of difference. Experiment, notice.

Also, Make sure and "check in" with your left hand, as regards muscle tension, as you get started with a practice session. Keep checking back in throughout your session. You are looking to make the notes and chords with the least amount of muscular effort you can manage. If you notice tension in your hand, take a moment to shake it out, and then re-approach the instrument, being mindful of staying as relaxed as possible. 

As a teacher, I frequently find that a student is using way more MUSCLE than necessary to make the music happen. And this inevitably leads to strain and fatigue.
Experiment with ways to make the chords or notes sound clear, with the LEAST amount of muscular effort on the part of your hand. 

With experimentaton, will find the 'sweet spot', and hopefully be relieved of the irritation and discomfort. 
Hope this helps a little!

- Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.