Practice suggestions

Sad Dad
Sad Dad
09/21/2021 5:36 pm

Hello,

I'm a newbie / beginner going through the Fundamental Basic Lessons. Can anyone suggest how much time should be spent on lessons such as "One Finger per Fret" and the "Spider Legs Warm Up"? I don't know if I should practice 30-60 minutes per day on One Finger Per Fret before moving on to the next lesson. Similarly with the Spider Legs Warm Up.......how long to spend on each and when do assess your abilty to move to the next lesson.

Thanks

GB

Big G

# 1
Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
09/22/2021 5:58 am

If I understood it correctly, there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

Personally, I try to practice at least twice to three times a day. Half an hour to an hour each time. (The first days, it was only a few minutes; I didn't change my username to sore.fingers without a reason .)

I continue with the next lesson just before I start to get comfortable with the previous one. I figured that keeping on the same thing for a long time might get boring and frustrating.

I don't aim for perfection (yet) and try to keep it fun. So I do make mistakes, but I do improve.

At the end of each session, I quickly go back to a previous lesson. Example, I,m almost at the end of GF1, but Ode To Joy is still part of my routine... And there is still room for improvement, but it gets easier.

There is is also a lesson on how to practice in GF1. So you'll get the pro-tips over there.

Good luck.

Jan

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/22/2021 11:29 am

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: gvb5043

I'm a newbie / beginner going through the Fundamental Basic Lessons. Can anyone suggest how much time should be spent on lessons such as "One Finger per Fret" and the "Spider Legs Warm Up"?

[p]5-10 minutes, very slowly, at the beginning of your practice session is fine. The idea with those kind of lessons is simply to have a way to get your fingers limbered up & ready for action.

In general, you are not done with any given lesson until you completely understand the idea being taught & can do the skill being taught. This is not always possible in one day or one setting! So, be prepared to repeat material quite a bit. Learning guitar is all about repetitious practice. That's the only way to gain skill & make progress.

At any point you can alway go forward in the lessons. That can make it fun to see what's next & stay motivated with new ideas & skills! But always make time to go back over older material until you have it completely under your command.

Hope that helps! Please ask more if you ahve more questions!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.