Improving left hand position and bent wrist

source3
source3
11/22/2020 3:21 pm

Going through Fundamental One my left hand position was pretty good until I started on the chords lesson. Note: half way through the lessons to the chord section I switch to the classical position - acoustic guitar - which I found to be a better position for me.

Learning chords I noticed my wrist started to bend way too much. I reviewed Lisa's and Christopher's lessons on how to hold a guitar. I still needed more direction and visuals of good and bad positions from different angles. I found the following write-ups helpful. Hope other's find the info useful.

First, a write-up on posture.

Classical guitar posture

And correct a bent wrist and better finger placement.

Best left hand position and technique

What is the best left hand position on guitar?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/23/2020 5:55 pm

Hey source3, thanks for these links! It's very important to find the proper positioning for your body and the particular guitar you are using to avoid physical strain. And that can be tricky sometimes! Appreciate it!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/25/2020 10:01 pm

Thanks for the links.

Struggling to find a settled position for a concert acoustic. [br]Tried a guitar rest but a big fail.

Settled for between the legs angled off the left leg but the bout resting on the right and supported by a strap. [br]It's almost a case of deciding where you want your left hand and find a way to get the guitar there, not the other way round.

Tonight I just raised my left leg until the fretboard felt right, then I played with the height of the footstool to support the left leg. [br]Did seem a way to get that comfortable, correct posture position. [br]Also deliberately positioned the stool so my square position was to a corner of the room so I could quickly check I was staying square.

# 3
michellesweetpea
michellesweetpea
12/04/2020 2:49 pm

I am new here. I am deaf with sign language. I love to feel the guitar to play. Still learn very some basic. I borrowed my neighbor, Judy's guitar about a month ago for the very first time to learn, however, I have a hard time using my left hand while practice. My habit to use my right-hand side to play guitar better than use my left hand. I am wondering, Is everyone use a left hand always to play guitar, or is it just me?

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.