I’m starting off

bennorth27
bennorth27
09/01/2020 11:06 pm

I'm starting off and I feel like I skim through the lessons as in I rush through to try and learn songs and I learn the songs but maybe this is just the way that I personally learn but do you think that everyone learns differently? Or should I be more into the theory side of it or if I'm still picking things up not so much on the theory but on the technical side and being able to play the songs I enjoy? Either way I'm loving it I just want to be able to play and pick up any song if you understand me

# 1
aorezechowski
aorezechowski
09/01/2020 11:20 pm

Everyone learns differently. I personally take my time.

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/01/2020 11:35 pm
Originally Posted by: bennorth27

I'm starting off and I feel like I skim through the lessons as in I rush through to try and learn songs and I learn the songs but maybe this is just the way that I personally learn but do you think that everyone learns differently? Or should I be more into the theory side of it or if I'm still picking things up not so much on the theory but on the technical side and being able to play the songs I enjoy? Either way I'm loving it I just want to be able to play and pick up any song if you understand me

Hi and welcome

We all learn differently. You can learn techniques, songs and theory at the same time.

I do understand what you mean about "picking up any song". I think that is something that takes a lot of time and practice and study.

Good luck with your studies

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
09/02/2020 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: bennorth27[br]I'm starting off and I feel like I skim through the lessons as in I rush through to try and learn songs and I learn the songs but maybe this is just the way that I personally learn but do you think that everyone learns differently? Or should I be more into the theory side of it or if I'm still picking things up not so much on the theory but on the technical side and being able to play the songs I enjoy? Either way I'm loving it I just want to be able to play and pick up any song if you understand me[br]

Hey bennorth27,

Everyone comes to the guitar with different "natural abilities." It sounds like maybe you have the desire and ability to learn songs very quickly, and less inclination to focus on theory. That's not unusual at all.

I am the opposite. I've always been into theory and composition and writing my own music, but I do not have a large library of other people's songs or solos in my head. I miss out on things because of it. I have lots of surprise "aha!" moments when I actually devote time to learning popular songs, because it's not something I automatically want to do.

So... it can help to try to balance your learning with things that don't come as easily to you. That way, you're not a one-sided player that can play any song but can't explain what it is or how it works. These are both great skills to have in different situations!

Steve Vai has always said to "focus on and exaggerate your strengths."[br]Thomas Lang says "eliminate weakness."

Both of them are virtuoso players and can do anything on their instruments... my own opinion is try to focus on both your strengths and weaknesses!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.