finger pain...I'm a weenie I guess!

DunceCap-J
Full Access
DunceCap-J
Full Access
08/07/2020 12:27 am

So I've just started 2 weeks ago. (I started out watching some youtube before joining GT). I've practiced a little every day and am now in Chapter 2 of Lisa's lessons, but I just can't practice for very long before my fretting fingers get so sore or fatigued that I can't continue beyond 5-10 minutes. I start getting sloppy pretty quickly. My question to ya'll is: How long before that pain starts to go away and my fingers get a little better endurance so that I can practice longer? I've noticed some callouses beginning to form but it still hurts quite a bit!

--Jason (whiny baby)

# 1
Herman10
Herman10
08/07/2020 12:40 am

after about 3 weeks it will get better, don't worry and hang in there

Herman

# 2
DunceCap-J
Full Access
DunceCap-J
Full Access
08/07/2020 1:02 am
Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

after about 3 weeks it will get better, don't worry and hang in there

Herman

I can handle that. Thanks for the encouragment, Herman!

# 3
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/07/2020 4:25 am

A little finger pain is good! Means you're working those muscles and building the calluses. I have gone through several distinct phases of calluses. At first I had a kind of hard pad of kind of brittle feeling skin on my tips, but eventually those pads kind of peeled as new, tougher, skin grew in underneath. Now the calluses are not as visible, they are more internal, if that makes sense. I still had a fair bit of pain with that first callus, but almost none now.

Stick with it and it will get better very quickly.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 4
mjgodin
mjgodin
08/07/2020 2:46 pm

Everyone goes through it, welcome to the club. Some lighter gauge strings will help and lower the action if possible. If your starting out on acoustic it will take a little more time due to them having coarser strings and higher action but keep your practice time short and consistant and gradually build it up as you gain more callous strength.

Moe

# 5
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/07/2020 2:55 pm

I'm the outlier on this one, Jason.

I'm not a believer in the idea that you have to suffer physical pain to learn guitar -- that's just not so. Get yourself a musician's practice glove -- inexpensive, available on Amazon. Use it till you build up some calluses. No suffering necessary. :-)

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 6
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/07/2020 4:23 pm

I'm certainly not suggesting that severe pain is ok. I'm thinking more like the pain anyone feels from sore muscles when you start a new exercise routine. If you start a new routine at the gym, your muscles will bark a little bit at first. However, you do have to pay attention and if that is severe then you may have an actual injury. That's all I'm saying with the expectation of some finger pain with guitar - especially acoustic. If your fingers are bleeding or blistered or the muscles in your fingers, wrist, forearm, etc. are cramping. that's not cool and it's not ok.

I've never tried wearing a glove on my fretting hand, but if it works I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it.

I can get preachy about the importance of a playable setup for us beginners, so I have to be a fan of anything that makes playing easier and more fun.

Thanks for being a voice of reason and checking some of our macho instincts, Faith!

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 7
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/07/2020 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

I'm certainly not suggesting that severe pain is ok. I'm thinking more like the pain anyone feels from sore muscles when you start a new exercise routine. If you start a new routine at the gym, your muscles will bark a little bit at first. However, you do have to pay attention and if that is severe then you may have an actual injury. That's all I'm saying with the expectation of some finger pain with guitar - especially acoustic. If your fingers are bleeding or blistered or the muscles in your fingers, wrist, forearm, etc. are cramping. that's not cool and it's not ok.

I've never tried wearing a glove on my fretting hand, but if it works I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it.

I can get preachy about the importance of a playable setup for us beginners, so I have to be a fan of anything that makes playing easier and more fun.

Thanks for being a voice of reason and checking some of our macho instincts, Faith!

Well, I try to balance out some of the testosterone around here. ;-)

The trick to the glove is to get the smallest possible size so it fits as tightly as possible. It works great and it still builds calluses. I used it this go around, calluses and zero pain.

# 8
mjgodin
mjgodin
08/07/2020 8:35 pm

"I got my first real six string. Bought it at the five and dime. Played it till my fingers bleed. Was the summer of 69."[br][br]

Sorry Faith. What's good enough for Bryan Adams is good enough for me. 🤣

# 9
DunceCap-J
Full Access
DunceCap-J
Full Access
08/07/2020 9:42 pm

I am playing an acoustic actually. (Just my preference). I kind of look at finger pain as a right of passage but if it continues for another week or so I just might try one of those practice gloves! Just don't tell anybody, ok?

# 10
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/07/2020 11:22 pm

I had never heard of practice gloves. Sounds like a very cool way to avoid the pain of being a new guitarist! I am surprised this tool isn't known more widely! How do they hold up fretboard gymnastics? What are they made of? Do they stretch much? Do you sweat inside them or do they breath?

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 11
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/08/2020 12:25 am

They work great as long as you get the smallest possible size so they fit nice and snug. They are also used by session players to extend their ability to play for longer sessions. So def not just for newbies!

I don't use mine anymore, but I sure did when I was re-developing my calluses. Never had to stop playing because it hurt -- and that makes for faster progress. I'll take them over the whole "paying your dues" pain thing anyday. ;-)

Moe, I get what you're saying. I've actually spent about 20 years studying things like pain initiation rituals and rite of passage and there is absolutely value and power there. In this case, though, IMO learning to play guitar is already challenging enough that there's no need to add pain for pain's sake!

# 12
DunceCap-J
Full Access
DunceCap-J
Full Access
08/08/2020 1:53 am

That's it. I'm getting one!

# 13
mjgodin
mjgodin
08/08/2020 11:02 am

"Moe, I get what you're saying. I've actually spent about 20 years studying things like pain initiation rituals and rite of passage and there is absolutely value and power there. In this case, though, IMO learning to play guitar is already challenging enough that there's no need to add pain for pain for pain's sake!"

I know Faith. I was just having fun with the topic and thought it a perfect time to throw in the Bryan Adams verse from one of his most famous songs. Then again maybe some of you aren't familiar with him or this song and I'm showing my age here. Truth be told if we were to dig up some of my old notes you'll see I did my share of whining over sore fingers.. and even still get pain on occasion after long sessions and that's usually my cue to put it down for while.

I've never heard of those types of gloves, but I have heard of nail polish on the tips as a workaround as well, though never tried it.

Oh well whatever you do " play on everyone"

Moe

# 14
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/08/2020 5:34 pm

I should add that they don't interfere with developing calluses. They just make doing so less painful.

Now I wanna know what the Bryan Adams reference is... school me, Moe....

# 15
mjgodin
mjgodin
08/08/2020 7:25 pm

Oh boy I guess I did show my age.

Bryan Adams is a Canadian pop rocker who was famous in the eighties. The summer of 69 was one of his many hits. Unfortunately gt does not have any of his songs here so you'll have to search on YouTube or any of the online radio stations to hear it. [br][br]

what I was quoting you earlier was the first verse of the song. [br][br]

# 16
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/08/2020 7:48 pm

What?! I cannot believe you are having to explain who Bryan Adams is and the song reference! This cracks me up. [br][br]

# 17
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/08/2020 8:16 pm
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

What?! I cannot believe you are having to explain who Bryan Adams is and the song reference! This cracks me up. [br][br]

I'm so sorry -- I know how frustrating that sort of thing can be, when you connect with an artist and someone else doesn't know who they are. I know how sad I'd feel if someone didn't know who one of my musical idols was. That's why I asked for more info!

# 18
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/08/2020 8:18 pm
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Oh boy I guess I did show my age.

Bryan Adams is a Canadian pop rocker who was famous in the eighties. The summer of 69 was one of his many hits. Unfortunately gt does not have any of his songs here so you'll have to search on YouTube or any of the online radio stations to hear it. [br][br]

what I was quoting you earlier was the first verse of the song. [br][br]

Oh I know that song! That's a great song! Thank you for the help and apologies to you and to Bryan Adams for not remembering. In my defense, 80s music for me was Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and the GoGos... you know, girl stuff...

I got my first real six-string[br]Bought it at the five-and-dime[br]Played it 'til my fingers bled[br]Was the summer of '69

# 19
mjgodin
mjgodin
08/08/2020 8:37 pm

We learn something every day on this site don't we? 😊

I'm glad you remembered.

I could reference 80s songs all day.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.