Feeling disheartened

susanneedham9
susanneedham9
08/03/2020 9:12 am

Hi, everyone, I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on stretching my fingers, as I'm now completely stuck. I've been trying every day to do the spider legs exercise BUT my ring finger refuses to leave the side of my middle finger and I can't get it anywhere near the string at all. I'm beginning to feel this will never happen. It's better if I move down and start at the fourth fret instead and that's how I've been practising but each time I move back to have another go, it just won't happen. I've also seen some finger stretchers for sale - do they actually work? My guitar is full size and I'm also wondering above going smaller. Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/03/2020 3:52 pm
Originally Posted by: susanneedham9

Hi, everyone, I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on stretching my fingers, as I'm now completely stuck. I've been trying every day to do the spider legs exercise BUT my ring finger refuses to leave the side of my middle finger and I can't get it anywhere near the string at all. I'm beginning to feel this will never happen. It's better if I move down and start at the fourth fret instead and that's how I've been practising but each time I move back to have another go, it just won't happen. I've also seen some finger stretchers for sale - do they actually work? My guitar is full size and I'm also wondering above going smaller. Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you

Acouple things to start with:

-Finger stretcher? Don't bother. A waste of time and money.

-Smaller guitar size? Well worth considering.

My wife started playing for the first time a few months ago. I mean, she wanted to learn about 10 years ago and we baught her a 3/4 sized Baby Taylor (I don't recommend). It sat there and never got played. A few months back, just prior to COVID, she got the itch again and started back on the Taylor. She hated it and wanted to give up.

Instead of giving up, we got her a Martin Mini (highly recommend it). It's a nicely sized and easy to play acoustic guitar and she enjoys it.

She's about 5'3" and not terribly long fingers so she knew that a full sized was going to be too much for her to start with. I mean, learning guitar has enough challenges so a guitar she felt she could physically handle was important too her. She's still working on some very beginner stuff but when she pivks it up, it does not start with frustration.

Other things you mentioned about starting on the 4th fret also indicated that a 3/4 guitar will help. But you are looking for solutions like going to the 4th frt. This versus just giving up. You want to play and that is a good thing.

Some thoughts to consider from a little bit of experience.

# 2
susanneedham9
susanneedham9
08/03/2020 5:41 pm

Thank you, that's helpful and given me something to think about :)

# 3
susanneedham9
susanneedham9
08/04/2020 10:12 am

Well would you believe it, since writing this yesterday a breakthrough has occured! Overnight, my ring finger must have listened to all my wailing and is now cooperating! It feels like a huge leap forward :)

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/04/2020 9:02 pm

it is both ironicly funney and frustrating at the same time. We work we work we work and yet we learn in unpredicitable spurts. This is the way we evolve into musicians. Congradulations.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/05/2020 4:50 pm

Well would you believe it, since writing this yesterday a breakthrough has occured! Overnight, my ring finger must have listened to all my wailing and is now cooperating! It feels like a huge leap forward :)

That's awesome. Your ring finger finally realized who's the boss!!

# 6
dbvirago
dbvirago
08/07/2020 12:46 am

Great, Susanne. I've only been playing two months, and I've found that it's a series of plateaus. I practice very day, but get better a couple of times a week.[br][br]Also, I read somewhere that the ring and middle finger share the same tendon. That's why they are so hard to move independently.

# 7
saraivette
saraivette
08/07/2020 3:53 pm

Yay! Well done!

# 8
susanneedham9
susanneedham9
08/08/2020 12:56 pm

Thanks guys, this is such a supportive community :)

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.