Just can't switch between chords

Guitar Tricks Forum > Guitar Basics > Just can't switch between chords

patmontgomery969

Full Access

I have the same problem - especially with A to & from G and C to &from G.

However, (there's always a however) ...

You can slow down the speed of the video lesson (say to 0.75x or even 0.5x) and it doesn't change the pitch of the tune being played! Amazeballs!

This might help give you a little longer to get your fingers in position.

I have the same problem - especially with A to & from G and C to &from G.

However, (there's always a however) ...

You can slow down the speed of the video lesson (say to 0.75x or even 0.5x) and it doesn't change the pitch of the tune being played! Amazeballs!

This might help give you a little longer to get your fingers in position.

dazzz2466

Full Access

Hi, My name is Darren and I myself only started about 6 weeks ago after joining a year ago and then having a long break through illness, (& 25 years too late).

I am not at my best yet but, I was told a couple of weeks ago, pick two of the chords that you struggle with the most and for 5 to 10 minutes change slowly between them, but when your fingers are placed on top of the strings, press hard for 10 to 15 seconds then change and repeat. It has improved my chord changing considerably. One other thing, only do two chords together at a time. It may seem to be a little monotonous but it did help me.

I hope that it works for you as well.

Take care,

Darren.

Hi, My name is Darren and I myself only started about 6 weeks ago after joining a year ago and then having a long break through illness, (& 25 years too late).

I am not at my best yet but, I was told a couple of weeks ago, pick two of the chords that you struggle with the most and for 5 to 10 minutes change slowly between them, but when your fingers are placed on top of the strings, press hard for 10 to 15 seconds then change and repeat. It has improved my chord changing considerably. One other thing, only do two chords together at a time. It may seem to be a little monotonous but it did help me.

I hope that it works for you as well.

Take care,

Darren.

dougreuter

Full Access

Practice Em to Asus2 (Am without B string) then

E to Am ( same shape up and down)

E to Asus2 (up and down lift a finger)

Em to Am (up and down lift a finger)

switch between arpeggiating and strumming

also finger a chord and lift pluck holding down other strings to the notes fretted up and down (gets you used to lifiting)

Try to make it all sound musical and when you mess up keep going. Don't teach yourself to give up.

Practice Em to Asus2 (Am without B string) then

E to Am ( same shape up and down)

E to Asus2 (up and down lift a finger)

Em to Am (up and down lift a finger)

switch between arpeggiating and strumming

also finger a chord and lift pluck holding down other strings to the notes fretted up and down (gets you used to lifiting)

Try to make it all sound musical and when you mess up keep going. Don't teach yourself to give up.

ray.anish94

Full Access

Hi Chris512. My reply may be coming a little late but thanks a lot for your advice. I feel a renewed enthusiasm. I am following your advice and continuing to play. I hope I will be able to move beyond this roadblock soon.

Hi Chris512. My reply may be coming a little late but thanks a lot for your advice. I feel a renewed enthusiasm. I am following your advice and continuing to play. I hope I will be able to move beyond this roadblock soon.

ray.anish94

Full Access

KingstonOntario that is some great advice and some encouragement too. I really needed it. I wanted to quit too and just that thought made me feel so sad and guilty since my passion to learn this instrument was born from my love of music and songs. I just couldn't digest the fact that I actually wanted to quit just because I hit a roadblock. Now I know I am not alone. I won't quit too.

KingstonOntario that is some great advice and some encouragement too. I really needed it. I wanted to quit too and just that thought made me feel so sad and guilty since my passion to learn this instrument was born from my love of music and songs. I just couldn't digest the fact that I actually wanted to quit just because I hit a roadblock. Now I know I am not alone. I won't quit too.

ray.anish94

Full Access

EddieMoon thanks for replying and I feel your pain. I am in a bit of slump too. But god forbid I ever leave trying to learn this beautiful instrument. That will be the biggest loss for me. Keep trying and never give up. It is going to be a long journey for me as well and I hope the fun comes back again :)

EddieMoon thanks for replying and I feel your pain. I am in a bit of slump too. But god forbid I ever leave trying to learn this beautiful instrument. That will be the biggest loss for me. Keep trying and never give up. It is going to be a long journey for me as well and I hope the fun comes back again :)

ray.anish94

Full Access

patmontgomery969 thanks it is a great suggestion and I have started to use it. It seems to be working. Thanks again. :)

patmontgomery969 thanks it is a great suggestion and I have started to use it. It seems to be working. Thanks again. :)

ray.anish94

Full Access

dazzz2466 thanks for the great advice.Will definitely try it. Sometimes my fingers just start hurting when I try to press on the strings hard for a little longer during practice sessions. It seems natural. But because of it playing gets harder after half an hour or 5 minutes. Do you face this problem too?

dazzz2466 thanks for the great advice.Will definitely try it. Sometimes my fingers just start hurting when I try to press on the strings hard for a little longer during practice sessions. It seems natural. But because of it playing gets harder after half an hour or 5 minutes. Do you face this problem too?

ray.anish94

Full Access

dougreuter thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep at it and won't give up.

dougreuter thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep at it and won't give up.

ray.anish94

Full Access

Thanks for the advice ddiddler. It will be a long journey but an amazing one. :)

Thanks for the advice ddiddler. It will be a long journey but an amazing one. :)