How do I play this C9 chord?

srhope1989
srhope1989
06/03/2020 3:02 pm

I'm trying to play a C Dominant 9th chord in the lowest position as in the attached image. It seems impossible to finger correctly. There's no way I can get my second finger to bend onto the fifth (A) string while my third finger is holding down the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings. How is it done?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/03/2020 5:47 pm
Originally Posted by: srhope1989

I'm trying to play a C Dominant 9th chord in the lowest position as in the attached image. It seems impossible to finger correctly. There's no way I can get my second finger to bend onto the fifth (A) string while my third finger is holding down the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings. How is it done?

It's tricky to get used to though! I've seen it help some beginners to break it down into 2 components & then gradually combine them.

Start with the bottom 3 notes using your index, middle & ring. Notice how you need to curl your index finger up over the D string to avoid muting it. Strum that for a while.

Then play the top 4 notes using your index & ring finger. Notice how flat you need to make the pad of your ring finger. Strum that for a while when you need a dom 9 chord.

Gradually work on combining those 2 shapes!

I cover dominant 9th chords in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=16242&s_id=1185

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.