F major chord

John Vacher
John Vacher
06/01/2020 7:39 am

Hello,

Im 55, and have just started learning guitar. I started the course about 6 weeks ago, and am about 70% of the way through fundamentals 1. I am absolutley loving it, and would recommend it to anyone, and indeed do so.

Ive got to grips with everything so far(good enough to progress anyway), and practice about twice a day in hour long sessions, and pick up the guitar at other times too.

But Im really struggling with Fmajor chord as taught in this oart of the course, the barre on 1st fret 1st and 2nd string etc. Almost every string rings dead, every time. I have the memory to get my fingers on the right strings andd frets, but cant place them well enough to stop deadening the strings. Its very frustrating. I dont want to get to a stage where i just avoid F.

help

thanks

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/01/2020 11:45 am

Hi and welcome John

like you, I started last year at 55 and like you the F chord was and still is difficult. Here is how I tackle it.

Good luck on your journey

https://youtu.be/cZbtJq-l4XM

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
John Vacher
John Vacher
06/01/2020 8:14 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi and welcome John

like you, I started last year at 55 and like you the F chord was and still is difficult. Here is how I tackle it.

Good luck on your journey

https://youtu.be/cZbtJq-l4XM

that is incredibly kind of you, thank you so much.

Barre chords are something I haven't covered in the course yet.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/02/2020 12:37 am

My pleasure, good luck John

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
icon269
icon269
06/03/2020 6:05 am

Just wanted to say as well for everybody struggling with this chord, don’t get discouraged! It was years ago that I learned basic chords and I can honestly tell you EVERYBODY in the class struggled with the f major chord and hated it when first learning it. Keep at it and you WILL get it in time I promise ya:) it’s so far out of most beginners tools they’ve acquired by then then that it can feel foreign and impossible at times, keep practising no matter how bad it sounds and both the sound and the confidence WILL follow:)

# 5
brandenrn
Full Access
brandenrn
Full Access
06/04/2020 5:31 am

Hi John!

Like pretty much everyone else I imagine, I dreaded and subsequently struggled with the F chord. But, as icon269 suggested, just stick with it no matter how bad it sounds and you will get there. While learning it, I spent a few minutes each day dedicated to perfecting this chord while still moving on with other lessons. Seemed impossible for awhile, but eventually with much trial and error my fingers seemed to find where they needed to be and now the F chord is just another chord. And, it didn't take all that long, just a couple of weeks befor that magic moment where I realized I was doing it right. So keep at it and don't get discouraged and you'll be there in no time!

Branden

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.