Spider Leg Warmup Extreme Pain

Mattanderson13
Mattanderson13
12/05/2019 12:34 am

Hello, I understand that my hand needs to be trained in order to comfortably stretch my fingers to the point where I can reach the individual frets, however my hand is making it impossible. I try my best to match the technique in the lessons but for some reason my fingers will not stretch apart AT ALL. Then I got the idea to use my other hand to force them to go to their own frets in an attempt to stretch them out but doing so causes my other fingers to slide down the neck due to my unflexibility. When I use my other hand to hold the other fingers in place the result is intense pain and the inability to hold the position for more than a second.

Is this just because I am holding the guitar incorectly after all or do I just have to keep forcing my fingers apart until I can eventually do a warmup? Thanks in advance.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/05/2019 8:25 pm

Hi Mattanderson13,

Feeling uncomfortable on your hand when first learning to play guitar is pretty common. If it hurts a ton, say like on the pain scale of 7 out of 10, or more, then you're probably doing something wrong and should stop!

Give your fretting hand a good shake and loosen it up. make sure to not press down too hard, and also keep in mind your wrist and the rest of your forearm. Make sure you're not twisting your wrist too much, and your elbow isn't sticking out like a chicken wing. Relax your muscles and go slow!

It's totally okay if your fingers are not stretching to fit the frets at the moment, just go slow and practice little by little. You will get there!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Mattanderson13
Mattanderson13
12/05/2019 10:11 pm

Thank you for the reply. I found out i was having difficulty because i was holding the neck too low. For whatever reason it is easier when I hild the neck higher (which im sure is the way i was supposed to do it and just didnt realize) I can just barely reach the frets now so I know my tendons arent deformed or anything haha.

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/10/2019 5:07 pm

Hi Matt,

I'm so glad to hear you experimented with the way you were holding the neck of the guitar. That can make a HUGE difference!

Also, absolutely no need for forcing anything. Rather, you want to ease into it. Treat your fingers like you are their benevolent sports coach. Ease them into their new skills rather than throwing them into the deep end of the pool.

If you can only accomplish 2-fingers worth of the Spider Legs exercise at first, no problem. Eventually you'll add the 3rd finger. And then maybe someday, the 4th finger.

The exercise is meant to be adapted to the upper edge of your comfort level - in the sense that you challenge yourself, but never hurt yourself.

Hoep this helps! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.