Cords and finger sliding noise.

SteveHey
SteveHey
10/02/2019 8:10 pm

Going through fundamentals 1 and the five cord power pack on my electric guitar, with the smaller spacing on frets finding I am having to slide fingers on strings to fit others in on cord changes, is this ok?

Just tried changing cords on my acustic and the sliding of finger makes a right racket and not a clean change...

What's the right way, remove and then replace or slide about to get more space etc.... Only started to learn guitar two months ago, just want to make sure I am doing things right and not setting bad habits in memory etc....

Steve.....

Total Beginner at 51, looking to master the skills needed..............

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/04/2019 7:25 pm

Hi SteveHey,

Generally you want to make the last amount of "noise" when you're switching chords, but sometimes it cannot be helped.

Some people learn it differently, but this is one of those things that may be different from player to player and song to song. I think it's maybe a little better to lift your fingers off the strings to switch between chords and bar chords, but it may be more difficult since the lift can sometimes make noise. Though, if you slide from one chord to the next, you'll also get a bit of noise as well.

Either way, there's no wrong way to do it.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Dave-H
Dave-H
10/05/2019 12:14 am
Originally Posted by: SteveHey

Going through fundamentals 1 and the five cord power pack on my electric guitar, with the smaller spacing on frets finding I am having to slide fingers on strings to fit others in on cord changes, is this ok?

Just tried changing cords on my acustic and the sliding of finger makes a right racket and not a clean change...

What's the right way, remove and then replace or slide about to get more space etc.... Only started to learn guitar two months ago, just want to make sure I am doing things right and not setting bad habits in memory etc....

As you listen to recorded music, you will often hear the "pros" sliding between chords. Sometimes those chords slides become a signature of the piece. I have been watching a lot of Rob Chapman videos. He is the CEO of Chapman Guitars and a professional musician, and you would be very suprised at how often you hear him slide chords.

# 3
SteveHey
SteveHey
10/10/2019 6:17 pm

Thanks for the advice, will try and get as clean as can, but won't stress too much if it sounds ok.....

Steve.....

Total Beginner at 51, looking to master the skills needed..............

# 4
richardeharris11
richardeharris11
08/15/2020 6:38 am

Hi, I am not new to playing, I am a self taught hobiest on Guitar. I have been playing since I was 15. I am 61 now. I began at the beginning since I have had no formal training. My 2 goals are to learn to pick and how to play Barre and power Chords. I play a Yahama Acustic with pickup.

Here is my problem, when playing Barre Chords you sometime slide up or down to the next chord and the awesome sound comes for sliding. I make a lot of Slide noise. I notices that my fingers are becoming re-callased since I play everyday now. Will the noise reduce once the fingers peel? if not, should I be using a different type of strings?

I have never use Coated strings or tightly wound strings. when I began playing I use Black Diamond and now I have Ernie Ball Earthwood Phosphor Bronze.

# 5
Herman10
Herman10
08/15/2020 6:56 am

To reduce sliding noises you can put flatwound strings on your guitar, they are a lot less noisy but they sound less brilliant.

Herman

# 6
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/15/2020 6:22 pm

You won't be able to do any pick scrapes down the wound strings with flat wound strings either.... if that is of interest either.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 7
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
08/15/2020 7:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Dave-H
Originally Posted by: SteveHey

As you listen to recorded music, you will often hear the "pros" sliding between chords. Sometimes those chords slides become a signature of the piece. I have been watching a lot of Rob Chapman videos. He is the CEO of Chapman Guitars and a professional musician, and you would be very suprised at how often you hear him slide chords.

A good example of that is, Watching the River Run by Loggins and Massina. A great acoustic recording and you can hear the squeaks a number of times during the instrumental portions of the song. A tune that I`m enjoying learning on the acoustic. It`s just a part of the record; and if it`s good enough for them, it`s certainly good enough for me.

Cheers,

Jeff

# 8
Herman10
Herman10
08/16/2020 12:16 am
Originally Posted by: richardeharris11

I play a Yahama Acustic with pickup.

Here is my problem, when playing Barre Chords you sometime slide up or down to the next chord and the awesome sound comes for sliding. I make a lot of Slide noise.

Pick scrape on an acoustic? my answer was to this guy, not the OP

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.