Ugh fingers reaching frets

sbornstein7203
sbornstein7203
08/12/2019 9:23 pm

Hello all,

I know this is normal but any tips on dealing with playing the Major chords with three fingers I am struggling to get them spread out enough with enough pressure to have clear notes. I have smaller hands which is my downfall with this and the D Major and C Major are painful and I have to constantly try and adjust to get clear notes without impeding on one of the strings. Thanks for any advice besides getting bigger hands that is not in the cards lol. I have a grand concert style guitar so the neck is not the issue.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/12/2019 11:15 pm

A couple of considerations.

1. The first is that everyone struggles with fingering at first. It's a completely normal part of the learning guitar process. Time and hands on practice on nuancing technique is the balm. If you find it's not working for you after a reasonable time, and can't analyse and detect by yourself why, watch the lesson again into ensure you are applying all aspects relative to fingering and haven't overlooked something. Otherwise, it's just practise, and more practise; on proviso,

2. Your guitar is actually a comfortable physical fit for you. This is more critical the smaller your hands and fingers usually proportionate with arm length, or if smaller framed IMV&PE. You offer no indication of your height or build. If you were petite, a Grand Concert might still be a poor fit. Let comfort be your guide.

Average height, I have medium-smaller hands/fingers, and find Cmaj and Dmaj are two of the easier open chords for me to to play on any guitar or string spacing. C does involve a modest stretch, but not a challenging stretch unless one had a truly minuscule span. Fmaj OTOH is a stretch just as Amaj is crowded if played with three fingers regardless how fingered.

If you're comfortable with your GC guitar, the issue will in resolved all likelihood by more time hands on assimilating those new found motor skills along with nuancing their minutae in the process.

PS. I intended to include this link in case you aren't already aware of it.

# 2
sbornstein7203
sbornstein7203
08/13/2019 12:23 am

Thanks so much I will check that link and I appreciate the great advice.

Originally Posted by: manXcat

A couple of considerations.

1. The first is that everyone struggles with fingering at first. It's a completely normal part of the learning guitar process. Time and hands on practice on nuancing technique is the balm. If you find it's not working for you after a reasonable time, and can't analyse and detect by yourself why, watch the lesson again into ensure you are applying all aspects relative to fingering and haven't overlooked something. Otherwise, it's just practise, and more practise; on proviso,

2. Your guitar is actually a comfortable physical fit for you. This is more critical the smaller your hands and fingers usually proportionate with arm length, or if smaller framed IMV&PE. You offer no indication of your height or build. If you were petite, a Grand Concert might still be a poor fit. Let comfort be your guide.

Average height, I have medium-smaller hands/fingers, and find Cmaj and Dmaj are two of the easier open chords for me to to play on any guitar or string spacing. C does involve a modest stretch, but not really unless one had a truly minuscule span. Fmaj OTOH is a stretch just as Amaj is crowded if played with three fingers regardless how fingered.

If you're comfortable with your GC guitar, the issue will in resolved all likelihood by more time hands on assimilating those new found motor skills along with nuancing their minutae in the process.

PS. I intended to include this link in case you aren't already aware of it.

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/13/2019 1:53 pm

Well, I would have had all kinds of advice and encourgement for you, but the awesome manXcat said it all so well!!

Thanks, manXcat!

Great advice.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
sbornstein7203
sbornstein7203
08/14/2019 3:05 am

I am having a better time tonight with A Minor and E Minor but the D Major power chord the B and E strings I am finding impossible to not impede on the other string to get a clear note from each one it's a battle.

# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/20/2019 1:51 pm

Yeah, those power chords are a bear! The most important thing is that you understand how and why they work they way they do, as regards the logic of the guitar neck. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get perfect tone at this point. Focus more on position, location on the neck, and why those chords are named the way they are, and how they relate to other chords ("The Magic L", for instance).

You'll get a lot of mileage just out of understanding those things - even if your tone is not perfect.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.