General questions from beginner

Brad2853
Brad2853
07/30/2019 3:18 pm

#1 Can you print out music to follow along with lessons

#2 In the song "Imagine", the Instructor goes from a bar F Chord to an open G Chord.

Why would you not just slide up to a Bar G chord.

#3 How do you decide on Bar Chord vs Open Chord?

# 1
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
07/31/2019 2:05 am

#2 There's a different sound between the two forms of G

On open G the notes are: GBDGBG

On the barred G: GDGBDG

Plus, open chords ring out whereas barre chords sound more muted plus the sound dies when you move to the next chord.

# 2
scottstewart555
scottstewart555
08/05/2019 7:31 pm

Hi all!

Brand new here! So if I posted in the wrong area my apologies up front! Anyway.... I have questions that I am hoping someone can give some advice. But a little background.. I have over the years tried picking up the guitar and took lessons at one point and know open and barre chords, some licks only to give up in frustration, this time I don't want to give up and I bought a new guitar and back in business. My question are when doing lessons how do you know you should move on to the next lesson? I think this is where I get a little either frustrated or bored as I feel at a plateau or no progression is being made. I am just curious as to what others do and how long should I keep practice sessions to each lesson to avoid the "burn out" ?

Thanks for any input.

Scott

# 3
megoen
megoen
08/05/2019 10:39 pm

I'm at the point in Lisa's beginners lessons, just following the 5-cord power pack, where we are switching from Am to Em to Am and it is so much easier for me to slide my M and R fingers down one string and lift my I finger up and down. Is there anything wrong with doing that or should I learn the way shown in the lesson.

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/06/2019 5:57 pm

Hi Megoen,

The way you are doing it is fine - AND/BUT - I highly recommend that you learn to do it BOTH ways. As you will discover further along in the course, there is always a reason behind the way I suggest you do things. The methods behind my madness.

Have fun!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.