Following along to "Begin Again"

jerzee.george
jerzee.george
06/07/2019 5:05 pm

Friends,

I have practiced the chords many many times. I dont have problems with the transition. I can't keep up with the song though. The song starts with the D chord 24 times. How are folks following? Watching Lisa's hands puts one behind at chord change, following printed music helps, but not perfect. I lose count when counting. Presently I'm playing video at 75% speed, and can change chords, but cant follow the song...

Are folks watching the video? Counting? Followng the sheet music? Does anyone rememer "follow the bouncing ball?". I think I need that.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/07/2019 7:27 pm

Is there a link you can post? I would be curious to have a look at it.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
jerzee.george
jerzee.george
06/07/2019 8:27 pm

It's a very simple song. I just can't figure how to follow along 24 of the same chord... and best I can tell, the printed music sheet does not follow what Lisa is playing. I think I need a bouncing ball to follow.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22964&s_id=1869

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/07/2019 9:09 pm

Nice song, will have to learn it.

I thought it would be easier to just make a 2 minute vid showing how I would tackle the timing.

And forgot, about how to do it 24 times. I think we need to train ourselves to the music so we just know when it’s time to switch. This takes time in. But I think your 1st objective is to stay in time and the only way I can do it is by counting along.

Vid

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
06/07/2019 10:19 pm

Very 'brave' William MG, and [u]well done mate[/u]. Two thumbs up! (no icon for that on the desktop forum selectable popups)

jerzee.george. Though more advanced than you, I still consider myself a beginner, now more the novitiate than in the absolute neophyte or ab initio sense of the word..

Back when I did F1 I tackled the task differently from William MG. And in that I'm [u]not[/u] implying his approach wrong or casting aspersion upon it in any way. This is interesting in itself, coincidentially because we're both the same methodical logical type. (Myers-Briggs).

Ergo, I'm a [u]thinking[/u] rather than [u]feeling[/u] dominant.

If you listen to Lisa playing, listen to the beat and, whilst it may be the same chord struck over and over, note also the different emphasis she places on the strum, and when in keeping time with the drumbeat?

Now here's where the conundrum a contradiction for me comes it. You don't think this. You feel it.

There's either an inherent natural internal timing dialogue or there isn't. With me, there was and is. Whether it is a 'gift from God' - unlikely, I don't have (m)any(?) except autonomic nervous system breathing like the rest of you, or subliminally acquired through exposure and repetition all those years ago when I was a 'little drummer boy' IDK, but it's there.

So beyond understanding it, I [u]think[/u] one also has to [u]feel[/u] this. If [u]you[/u] don't, then just keep at it, over and over focussing on the beat and [u]feeling it musically[/u] rather than just [u]hearing [/u]the metronome timing per se. Inevitibly you will. [u]Persistence[/u] will win the day. It [u]always[/u] does.

[u]M[/u]y[u] mantra[/u] is persistence, fueled by unrelenting enthusiasm and determination. Those tools may work for you too. GL with it.

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/07/2019 11:42 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

[u]M[/u]y[u] mantra[/u] is persistance, fueled by unrelenting enthusiasm and determination.

Agreed!

# 6
jerzee.george
jerzee.george
06/09/2019 7:11 pm

Thanks all for suggestions. I'll keep strumming along!

JG

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.