Perpendicular to neck and paralel finger position

mathieurevel
mathieurevel
04/18/2019 4:25 am

Hi,

I m new to guitar, only a few hours, starting with Lisa classes, starting to play the simple chords together etc...

One question I can t solve, when I see Lisa' s fingers, they are all very paralel to each others when she does the spider leg. I physically can t have my middle finger paralel to my ring finger if I try to play one string at a time with those 2 fingers. My ring finger totally goes off

Second question, do you systematically need to have your fingers perpendicular to the neck ? I always hit the strings with an angle with my fingers no matter where I put my thumbs (or my wrist end up in a uncomfortable angle, doesnt feel natural at all)

I dont know if I should keep progressing in the lessons and taking bad habits when things get more complicated or should I focus 1st on managing to hit those strings like Lisa ?

Thanks for your help

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/19/2019 5:15 pm

Hi there,

Learning guitar takes quite a bit of time, so it's pretty common that your fingers aren't doing what you want them to, but trust me, with practice, it'll work out!

1. Your fingers/hand will stretch the more you practice guitar. It might be difficult at first get each finger to play within a fret because your fingers just aren't used to stretching that way yet. But practice, and practice slowly, and you'll get there. That's not necessarily the best answer, but it's the truth. Follow Lisa's lessons and you'll get it.

2. It's very common to have your fingers angled when you're first learning how to play, that it gets in the way of the other strings, and then mutes them. Playing guitar isn't going to feel natural at first, and it shouldn't because guitars aren't natural things!

It is important to keep your fingers straight when learning, so that you don't mute the other strings on accident. Relax your shoulder, sit up-right, and remember not to be tensed up. Also, don't forget to stretch your fingers, your wrist, your entire arm, if you have to, before you start practicing.

Practice slowly, and keep up the repetitions until you feel better about what you're learning, and you'll get there.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
mathieurevel
mathieurevel
04/20/2019 1:32 am

Ok thanks for the answers ! I ll keep working that out then ! ii guess i need to find a position comfortable enough to be able to have my fingers straight and not hitting the strings at an angle.

# 3
mathieurevel
mathieurevel
04/20/2019 6:36 am

2. It's very common to have your fingers angled when you're first learning how to play, that it gets in the way of the other strings, and then mutes them. Playing guitar isn't going to feel natural at first, and it shouldn't because guitars aren't natural things!

It is important to keep your fingers straight when learning, so that you don't mute the other strings on accident. Relax your shoulder, sit up-right, and remember not to be tensed up. Also, don't forget to stretch your fingers, your wrist, your entire arm, if you have to, before you start practicing.

Practice slowly, and keep up the repetitions until you feel better about what you're learning, and you'll get there.

[/quote]

A bit confusing, on thelesson Learn the Song 'I Believed You' by Lisa, her fingers are pretty angled on this one and not perpendicular to the neck. Your thoughts ?

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/24/2019 2:43 pm

Hi all,

I teach the "parallel angle" in the Spider Legs exercise in part becasue it is just a great alignment and stretch challenge for your fingers as they develop their skills on the guitar.

It does not mean that your fingers must always be parallel to the frets in other contexts. You will always be shifting them a bit this way and that to accomodate the song you are working on.

But in the exercise - it is intended to train your left hand in what will eventually be tha ablity to reach longer stretches between notes on the neck.

It's all good.

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.