The old folks' beginners thread

Guitar Tricks Forum > Guitar Basics > The old folks' beginners thread

Schmidtrock

Full Access

Hey all, 54 here and I've lost count how many times I've 'started over'. I like to say I've been learning guitar for 40 some years. One day I'll surely be able to play. Really though, this year has been great and I've managed to knuckle down and practice disciplined. I've bounced around over the years to different tutelage but always seem to come back to the awesome Guitar Tricks.

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today ~James Dean

Hey all, 54 here and I've lost count how many times I've 'started over'. I like to say I've been learning guitar for 40 some years. One day I'll surely be able to play. Really though, this year has been great and I've managed to knuckle down and practice disciplined. I've bounced around over the years to different tutelage but always seem to come back to the awesome Guitar Tricks.

sgautier8th

Full Access

Originally Posted by: jantecki19

72 here, and never picked up an instrument until a month or so ago when, for some reason, I decided to get a guitar. Smart? Probably not. Admit to getting frustrated with my old, fat, short fingers hitting every string on the thing, but hope to get better some day. Wish me luck.

Janetquick - Good LUCK !! I picked it up at 51 (this past February 2019) and I love it.

IN Fact, I JUST discovered the JAM STATION on GuitarTricks - tons of great backing tracks. It is awesome, you can practice scales or lead licks or practice playing along with the rhythm guitar (I guess?). Anyway, intended to spend about 20 mins. practicing today and I have been JAMMING with Jam Station for the past 4 hours. My fingers and arms are going to fall off, my back is sore, but I really don't want to stop. This must be what "crack" is like.

Originally Posted by: jantecki19

72 here, and never picked up an instrument until a month or so ago when, for some reason, I decided to get a guitar. Smart? Probably not. Admit to getting frustrated with my old, fat, short fingers hitting every string on the thing, but hope to get better some day. Wish me luck.

Janetquick - Good LUCK !! I picked it up at 51 (this past February 2019) and I love it.

IN Fact, I JUST discovered the JAM STATION on GuitarTricks - tons of great backing tracks. It is awesome, you can practice scales or lead licks or practice playing along with the rhythm guitar (I guess?). Anyway, intended to spend about 20 mins. practicing today and I have been JAMMING with Jam Station for the past 4 hours. My fingers and arms are going to fall off, my back is sore, but I really don't want to stop. This must be what "crack" is like.

robert_turner_2004

Full Access

Hi guys

just turned 64 on Sunday and treated myself to Guitar Tricks. I tried to learn in the past but suffered from poor tutor choice. Both guys were heavily into bands (and weed) and were more interested in showing off their latest mastery of a Steve Vai solo. It really was the wrong environment to learn in. It goes to show that the best and flashiest guitarists don't always make good teachers.

so here I am, retired, with lots of time to invest in learning guitar properly. It's good to see an Old Folks Beginners thread here. It gives me hope!

Along the way I managed to acquire some nice guitars and amps despite not playing so I'm spoiled for choice for something to pick up and get going with.

So far so good. I'm enjoying it and that's what it's all about. Nice to join the club!

Hi guys

just turned 64 on Sunday and treated myself to Guitar Tricks. I tried to learn in the past but suffered from poor tutor choice. Both guys were heavily into bands (and weed) and were more interested in showing off their latest mastery of a Steve Vai solo. It really was the wrong environment to learn in. It goes to show that the best and flashiest guitarists don't always make good teachers.

so here I am, retired, with lots of time to invest in learning guitar properly. It's good to see an Old Folks Beginners thread here. It gives me hope!

Along the way I managed to acquire some nice guitars and amps despite not playing so I'm spoiled for choice for something to pick up and get going with.

So far so good. I'm enjoying it and that's what it's all about. Nice to join the club!

alheisley

Full Access

Looks like I'm one of the older guys here - 70. I had never had a guitar in my hands until 1 month ago. I haven't gotten very far but the interest is there. Simply put, I haven't been practicing much and it shows.

Reading this thread has been just what I needed. I'm encouraged and reminded that practice is key. I have to remember that it's a matter of time until my fingers start finding their way by themselves and that excuses don't help.

I'll be returning here whenever I feel the need to reboot.

Looks like I'm one of the older guys here - 70. I had never had a guitar in my hands until 1 month ago. I haven't gotten very far but the interest is there. Simply put, I haven't been practicing much and it shows.

Reading this thread has been just what I needed. I'm encouraged and reminded that practice is key. I have to remember that it's a matter of time until my fingers start finding their way by themselves and that excuses don't help.

Schmidtrock

Full Access

Originally Posted by: alheisley

I'm rootin' for you sir! I've been at this for over forty years and just this very time around that I am sticking to it and the progress is gaining speed! Stick to it, you can do it! Brain plasticity has been proven scientifically. If you perservere at something long enough the brain adapts to it's new learning state. Cheers!

I'm rootin' for you sir! I've been at this for over forty years and just this very time around that I am sticking to it and the progress is gaining speed! Stick to it, you can do it! Brain plasticity has been proven scientifically. If you perservere at something long enough the brain adapts to it's new learning state. Cheers!

William MG

Full Access

.. excuses don't help

I had to chuckle at this. No they don't! Plain old fashion work is what it's about.

I started in January at 55. Practice everyday. I'm not very good but I'm better than I was in January! Good luck Al.

Repertoire:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Made Easy)

Link to the lesson here - very good for a beginner

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Honky Tonk Women (Made Easy)

Lesson here - very easy for beginners

Breaking the Law - fun, fast paced song.

Lesson here

Honky Tonk Women - (Not Made Easy!) I will lick this song someday

Lesson here

.. excuses don't help

I had to chuckle at this. No they don't! Plain old fashion work is what it's about.

I started in January at 55. Practice everyday. I'm not very good but I'm better than I was in January! Good luck Al.

Repertoire:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Made Easy)

Link to the lesson here - very good for a beginner

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Honky Tonk Women (Made Easy)

Lesson here - very easy for beginners

Breaking the Law - fun, fast paced song.

Lesson here

Honky Tonk Women - (Not Made Easy!) I will lick this song someday

Lesson here

flyingfish3

Full Access

diving in to the sea of guitar lessons

hello !

Im diving back in to guitar lessons through GT after a 20 year break. Both my daughters are off to college and I can finally find some me time to practice and play. I'm 56 and stored my guitar and gear two decades. I had the steel strings replaced and the instrument cleaned up.

I love the on line option far better then meeting weekly with an instuctor so you can learn at your own pace and odd hours. The loop option is great when you are learning a new song and just want to hammer it down. I'm back to the basic course but its sparking my memory and I'm excited to wake up and jump back on to my acoustic six string.

I read an article that suggests chewing gum while learning a new skill helps keep you calm and sparks your brain to process and remember. Try it and I hope the lessons stick!

flying fish

diving in to the sea of guitar lessons

hello !

Im diving back in to guitar lessons through GT after a 20 year break. Both my daughters are off to college and I can finally find some me time to practice and play. I'm 56 and stored my guitar and gear two decades. I had the steel strings replaced and the instrument cleaned up.

I love the on line option far better then meeting weekly with an instuctor so you can learn at your own pace and odd hours. The loop option is great when you are learning a new song and just want to hammer it down. I'm back to the basic course but its sparking my memory and I'm excited to wake up and jump back on to my acoustic six string.

I read an article that suggests chewing gum while learning a new skill helps keep you calm and sparks your brain to process and remember. Try it and I hope the lessons stick!

flying fish

orangelover

Full Access

I'm a 67 yo female, and first found this site 6 years ago. Wasn't ready to knuckle down and do what it takes to progress then, although I did learn some chords and the Em pentatonic so I noodled mostly for the last 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Playing by myself, keeping time didn't matter to me. BIG Mistake. I'm starting at the beginning and it's taking awhile but I am here for the fun of learning and playing. I also notice that my cognitive function is improving as a result of studying music, so there's that. Patience and compassion for ourselves as adult learners is key.

I'm a 67 yo female, and first found this site 6 years ago. Wasn't ready to knuckle down and do what it takes to progress then, although I did learn some chords and the Em pentatonic so I noodled mostly for the last 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Playing by myself, keeping time didn't matter to me. BIG Mistake. I'm starting at the beginning and it's taking awhile but I am here for the fun of learning and playing. I also notice that my cognitive function is improving as a result of studying music, so there's that. Patience and compassion for ourselves as adult learners is key.

sgautier8th

Full Access

Cool to see people still joining in and keeping this going!

After 9 mos. of playing, I played my first "gig", albeit in my house with 20 friends on a Friday evening. Me and two other guys play acoustic and sing together (we did 6 songs - 1 was really good, a few were good, one was mediocre and we butchered Brown Eyed Girl, which kills me because that was the easiest song we play!) Creedence, Neil Young, Van Morrison.

I played Wagon Wheel by myself and Mama Tried.

Most fun was trying out my chops on lead Blues with the Backing Tracks on Jam Station. I'm up through Chapter 2 in the Blues 2 course and just playing licks in rhythm all over the fretboard can keep people entertained for a good 30 minutes or more. I expected all the congrats, but you never know if they are sincere, but lots of people asked us to play more, so I'm gonna' take that as we did alright!

Anywho - stick with it everyone - practice works !!

Cool to see people still joining in and keeping this going!

After 9 mos. of playing, I played my first "gig", albeit in my house with 20 friends on a Friday evening. Me and two other guys play acoustic and sing together (we did 6 songs - 1 was really good, a few were good, one was mediocre and we butchered Brown Eyed Girl, which kills me because that was the easiest song we play!) Creedence, Neil Young, Van Morrison.

I played Wagon Wheel by myself and Mama Tried.

Most fun was trying out my chops on lead Blues with the Backing Tracks on Jam Station. I'm up through Chapter 2 in the Blues 2 course and just playing licks in rhythm all over the fretboard can keep people entertained for a good 30 minutes or more. I expected all the congrats, but you never know if they are sincere, but lots of people asked us to play more, so I'm gonna' take that as we did alright!

Anywho - stick with it everyone - practice works !!