5 Chord Power Pack Songs

billshan46
Full Access
billshan46
Full Access
12/02/2018 3:42 am

How well should I be able to play a song before moving on to the next song?

Thanks

Bill

# 1
jmhgb
jmhgb
12/02/2018 12:13 pm

My question exactely...

I am playing along with these songs but with a mistake here and there. I am not as consistently as Lisa is in her videos. When is it good enough move on...?

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
12/02/2018 10:07 pm

Unless Lisa states otherwise in a lesson, and she does mention the specific desired level of demonstrated competency at times in lessons, I'd suggest the objective should be when playing each the progressions, the chord changes are occurring effortlessly played with rhythm without too much concentrated concious thought required other than awareness of that.

If your attention can't maintain mojo with those songs, you can spice it up with songs you prefer using similar and different progressions. There are many many songs which use 3 maj chord or 4 chord progressions. "Wild Thing" A D E, or "Kumbaya" C, F, C C, F, G etc or involve a simple Em. e.g. D G Em A, : G, Em G, A, to G, Em, Em, D. Troggs "Love Is All Around" in original key of D, or in G if preferred.

Those open chords are fundamental building blocks for so much. Doesn't have to be perfect, but you should be able to play them at tempo with rhythm within context of a progression within a song without too much difficulty and other than the occasional mistake. That's my take.

# 3
billshan46
Full Access
billshan46
Full Access
12/03/2018 12:24 am

Thanks manXcat. I am getting through 'I get it now' at full speed with only a few big mistakes, which are usually caused by my attention drifting. My main concern is changing from D to C, I find I am really cutting the D short most of the time to make sure I can get the C set. Is this normal? I am guess I am wondering if these songs are mainly to introduce the chords and practical application with chord changes and the mistakes being made now will work themselves out with more experience as I progress through the course.

I don't mind having to come back to a section because I need the extra practice as opposed to coming back because I didn't spend the necessary time there in the first place.

Thanks

Bill

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
12/03/2018 1:29 am
Originally Posted by: billshan46

My main concern is changing from D to C, I find I am really cutting the D short most of the time to make sure I can get the C set. Is this normal?

[p]

It is for you Bill.

Seriously. Jokes aside, I just tried it as I put my money where my mouth is and won't say something is easier than it is or achieveable if it isn't. Just grabbed my APX600 for a hands on to confirm it. Dmaj to Cmaj or the opposite, Cmaj to Dmaj open voicings easy peasy without requiring an early liftoff at moderate to quick tempo, so at this juncture it appears something to do with your technique Bill. Look at how you are forming the voicing, and if there's nothing errant with that, it's just more practice required to get you up to speed.

This is part of the learning curve. Try to analyse what it is in your fingering that is the cause, and what you can do to remedy it. I do this daily with everything I play.

That's the thing about these lessons. Assimilating the 'knowing what to do' comes a lot faster than the demonstrated doing competency. It's the repetition until rote mojo before moving on many struggle with. Look for ways to make it interesting.

# 5
billshan46
Full Access
billshan46
Full Access
12/03/2018 2:26 am

Thanks manXcat, I expect practice and experience will resolve the issue. I think I am rushing to movement to complete the fingering for Cmaj. Almost like a mini panic. I spent a little time trying to consciously slow down and hold the D longer and it seemed to help. Practice, practice, practice!

Thanks for the feedback.

# 6
jmhgb
jmhgb
12/03/2018 1:21 pm

Thank you all for the input...

We’ll keep on practicing!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.