Difficulty with C Chord

zollybosher
zollybosher
11/24/2018 6:07 pm

whist finding A,D,G,E A minor chords relatively easy enough. I am really struggling with the full C chord amd have been for a few weeks now. I have tried 2nd string 1 st fret and 4th 2nd without any problems amd the same day with 5th and 4th string but when it comes to all 3 strings it all goes wrong

eirher my 1st finger wants to come in or my palm catches top E. If I adjust then the A string becomes mute, unless real force is applied and I cannot hold this position for long. My 1st finger is the problem in that Incannot get it to stay in place without drifting or catching the G string. Their are moments albeit brief that I actually do play the chord but it’s hit and miss and even though I am watching were my fingers are I don’t seem to get the same placing, either hand or finger stop the chord. Also if I adjust my hand too much then the D string just becomes dead or mute

this chord looks easy but is killing me. I don’t want to move on until it’s clean as it’s a major chord in most music. Can anyone advise how they approach this chord or have mastered it. I have looked at tutorials on line but it’s just not sticking. My hands are quite small and playing Yamaha F310

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
11/24/2018 7:12 pm

I was just about to ask what guitar are you using and do you have small hands when I read your last line.

The reason I ask is that IME some acoustic guitars with larger neck dimensions and wide string spacing can be more of a stretch (difficult) to fret open C quickly in progression changes for smaller hands.

The current model Yamaha F310 has narrow 10mm string spacing which makes chording easier for both beginner and those with smaller hands. Its nut is 43mm, with a scale length of 25". Those are the same specs as my APX600 BTW. Both come fitted with 12s default. Although I suspect they had youngster friendly hands in mind when they designed that spacing, it works for me. I have relatively small hands with proportionate to hand size fingers (not long), although I take a medium in a glove size rather than a small for basis of meaningful comparison.

So that said, unless you hands are tiny as in unusually small or petite, the F310 really shouldn't be presenting a problem with fingering Open C. It's made as an entry level guitar for beginners and has as a primary design objective being an easy chording player for beginners.

If there's any chord you should be having issues with on the F310 or APX600 it's A. Very crowded with any multi-fingered form to the point that although I can finger it with either conventional or 'Justin A', I find barre A works best for me. If you can play A cleanly without muting or par muting the G string by involuntary obstruction on those guitars, your hands and fingers in particular must be definitively small or slim. I can only imagine the frustration of anyone with larger hands with playing a multi-fingered Open A on them.

Only things my experience can helpfully suggest if you're finding C difficult on the F310 are finger flexibility exercises, to (stretch) warmup before playing, and focus on thumb and hand positioning on the neck as well as exercising cognizance of your fingers curvature in positioning as you play C so you can adjust them as required, then maintain that awareness in playing until it becomes rote.

Unless you actually have a physical stretch span limitation, it's just about thinking it through, making any adjustments necessary, then repetitious practise until you get it right.

# 2
zollybosher
zollybosher
11/25/2018 8:38 am

Thanks for the reply

I bought this guitar due to its slim neck and suitability for beginners and intermediate. I have been trying to play now for @ 4 months and in that time have had private tuition for a small period. My tutotors response to the C chord is you can or cant its simple, you figure a way or give up.

Thing is I dont want to give up but the problem seems to be my first or ring finger I can hold 2 notes but when it comes to introducing the 3rd either1st or ring it all falls apart. Etither my 1st finger slides right up to and on top of the fret or even worse goes down on to the 2nd or my ring finger mutes the D unless I press with great force my ring finger down

I have looked at on line videos and everyone seems to have their 1st finger straight. this is not an option for me if I do that I cant reach the A so my 1st is bent and the note is played with the side of the tip of my finger instead of head on. if I dont do this then the G mutes. I know everone at some point will hit a "wall" but this is so soon and I dont want to give up already. Furthermore if I do get the chord I then have the issue of my palm catching the top E and it doesnt ring clear I know this because I can hear it when I strum, it doesnt ring true

I have also tried playing like Classical with the guitar on my left knee and also tilting the neck but that feels akward and didnt really help, I have "when sucesfull looked and tried to remember where my fingers are, but unlike the other chords where I can visualise and shape my fingers to the chord pattern, when it comes to placing them on the guitar it just doesnt work its like hit and miss,

I suppose I am posting because I dont want to give up, but am finding it almost impossible, when I know it IS possible, just I cant figure out how to fix it. I dont want to carry on if I cant get this "common" chord right as it would mean playing at 50% if not more."oh, sorry cant do that chord can we skip it" Does it.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
11/25/2018 11:45 am

Concur. Cmaj is a chord you really can't ignore in the repetoire, and a 3rd fret barre Cmaj whilst it still sounds pretty, fuller on electric or e-acoustic than pure acoustic, still doesn't have that open chord timbre. It could also be a progression change PITA unless using other barres in the progression.

All that said you may have to compromise with it or resort to or a "lazy C" if you can't figure out a way to finger conventional open Cmaj. If it were me, I'd take a step back, analyse the why and correct it by trial and error accompanied by hours of perseverence and repetition, repetition, more repetion if necessary. As iterated in my earlier post, open C is pretty easy on the APX600/F310 necks even for the smaller hand and fingers, assuming no injuries, osteo or other physically inhibiting factors.

Although it shouldn't be a factor, I have to say I detest Dreadnoughts. Could the way you are holding/resting the body and resultant neck/fretting hand 'body English' in any way be interfering with your hand placement and fretting of C? Perhaps pop into a store and try something like the APX. Make sure it's a 600 not the 500III it succeeded, as the 500 & 700, 800 all have wider string spacing and the latter series wider nuts if I recall accurately.

Inexpensive alternatives with pretty tone are Cort's AF510 and cutaway AF515CE. Both are smaller Concert bodies, slimmer depth athough not slimline, and whilst the necks are more conventional and string spacing wider, they are both a delight to fret with no issues achieving any of the stretchier open chords like Fmaj.The AF510 comes in inexpensive pure acoustic or electric acoustic versions (CE suffix), the 515 is CE only and thus dearer. I've many hours hands on the AF510s. Here is what one sounds like by a better player than the orator in the previous descriptive link. Impressive guitar for so little money. They perform way above their price point, and importantly, are a pleasure to fret.

GL with Cmaj. You will find a way.

# 4
zollybosher
zollybosher
12/06/2018 8:11 pm

Back with an update. I have NO issues with any of the major and minor chords E minor G major A minor even A major ( which was the first chord I learnt to play successfully)

But even though I can swap from A minor to E my mor to D Major when it comes to C Major I am really really struggling.

I have tried going back and back step by step but when it comes to my ring finger on the 5 th string 3rd fret all bets are off. In order to get pressure on the string my 1st finger is right on the 1st fret, it bent in order for the D string to ring. The problem is that the notes are played but my palm catches the 1st string E

No matter how or what I try I end up with either my plan catching the string so it sounds tinny or buzzes slightly. Believe me I have had my hand in so many different positions, some of time high are quite painful. Only to be dashed again

What annoys me most is that I like this playing the Yamaha but C Major is such an important chord I would gladly swap it for a the other chords I have learnt even G major is or has been easy enough. Plus now I have started with rhythm I am enjoying just swapping and doing my own thing around the chords

Their has to be a way of getting all 3 fingers down without catching either the 1st or 3rd string. It is really frustrating

its not that I can’t reach it’s the ability to get a position we’re all 3 strings are down and nothing on the other 2

# 5
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/07/2018 12:51 am

Hi ZB

[br]The chord is indeed an easier one, but you are having problems with it. Need to find out why.

Not trying to be a smarty, just rather perpelexed at the problem as you describe it. I have a serious question for you. How on earth is your palm muting 1st E trying to voice open Cmaj?

My hand (glove) size is medium tending small with proportionate fingers.

I just went and got my APX600 trying to replicate what you describe. It has the same width nut, string spacing, fingerboard radius and scale length as your F310. Even with my fingers/hands, my palm is well clear of anywhere even near the edge of the fretboard, quite impossible to indeliberately mute high E voicing that chord. Lots of air between palm and anywhere near the edge of the fretboard. The F310 and APX600 necks even take the stretch out of voicing open Cmaj.

"Can anyone advise how they approach this chord or have mastered it."

I sense your frustration and wish I could offer some simple solution, but Cmaj was a no brainer for me. The only thing I did to "master" it as such, was finesse the order of placement, the pragmatic perpendiculatrity of my tips, for want of a better word, and curl of the fingers to ensure clean fingering, and smooth changes to and from other chords. Most of that came through awareness generally as I was playing songs, and just repetition playing songs focussing on those aspects during the riff progressions.

I can't recall off hand, but did you mention in a much earlier post that you have either arthritis or a hand injury in your fretting hand? If so, do you suspect this is affecting your flexibility or co-ordination?

Reiterating. Voicing open Cmaj, even with smaller hands, your palm should be nowhere even near 1st E.

In the interim, the alternative 3rd fret barre Cmaj voicing sounds pretty good, and is super easy. Even though it's low on the neck, just slightly more awkward switching between it and open forms generally. e.g. C, Am, F, G. Much easier when deploying it to use all barres, which of course don't ring out on acoustic as opens do.

From another angle. Have you had someone have a look at your F310 to ensure the action is OK? Perhaps your nut is cut too high, you need the relief adjusted or you may have damaged one of the frets or one might not be level from the factory. I'd definitely investigate that getting someone else to give it the once over if you aren't comfortable or up to speed with doing so yourself.

Edit P.S. Lisa has it pretty much nailed in her Cmaj lesson. I just rewatched it to check for you. See how her palm is clear and how her fingers lie to finger the chord in the open voice. However hearing it explained from an alternative perspective might illuminate a light bulb moment for you. All of us agree. Keep trying. You'll get it in the end. It just takes longer for some than others.

# 6
zollybosher
zollybosher
12/09/2018 11:23 am

Thank you for the reply. It’s a case of one or

the other for me I am unable- struggling with keeping the 3 notes down to form the C chord. Yes I know it’s one of the fundamental and “ easiest chords without even getting to F ! I am a led to mix things up,as mentioned playing other chords with ease, well my fingers auto adopt the correct figuration now

i have been trying now for 5 months to get the C chord down, and yes I DO manage it sometimes, I try to replicate the positron but 9 times out of 10 either the G becomes mute or the top E

i have tried middle finger amd ring finger in there respective places no problems. The moment my first finger goes for the 2nd fret my other fingers become weakened so that they lose the horizontal position thus it all goes wrong

in other words I can hold 2 of the 3 strings but when it comes to all 3 it’s as though I don’t have enough span on my hand. Believe me it’s not for the lack of trying, it just seems as though I must be doing something wrong.

I have watched countless troubleshooting guides on this chord and it looks so easy, except when I try. I posted because their maybe other learners out there who have a similar issue OR are having difficulty with other chords, and may have found a way either round or through it I am loath to learn anything else until I can grasp the fundamentals

Maybe it’s time to avoid anything that has a C chord in it Ć°ÅøĖœĀ©

# 7
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/09/2018 8:54 pm

No.

In your situation, I'd just walk away from it for a week or so, play an alternate or abridged form and come back refreshed for another attempt in a fresh frame of mind giving the "why?" as applies to you and your physical fingering of it it some more thought and subsequent research in the interim. If it is a physical thing other than length/span, physio or finger gym for those fingers perhaps?

Right now that cloud of understandable "can't do" negativity surrounding open C has built up is a significant subliminal barrier.

Nothing wrong with using a 'crutch' in the interim if that is necessary to permit you to 'walk from A to B'. i.e. using instead the easy two finger 3rd fret barre form of Cmaj to play a progression involving C.

# 8
shawnsgear
shawnsgear
12/20/2018 2:33 am

I just took this lesson and was like wow can i get by without learning this chord. i play mostly standing up, so before bed. i sat and tried to work thru it. i found it was a little easier and was like thats wierd right. so i stood up and adjusted my strap and low and behold. i can hit that chord like nobodies business, i still have to see if i can play past the 12th fret, but maybe that helps, also i can do it with my pinkie and both fingers on the 4th string. but i am not advanced far enough to do progressions yet, so i don't know if that would be a bad habit

# 9
louielouie62
Full Access
louielouie62
Full Access
12/20/2018 2:58 pm
Originally Posted by: shawnsgear

I just took this lesson and was like wow can i get by without learning this chord. i play mostly standing up, so before bed. i sat and tried to work thru it. i found it was a little easier and was like thats wierd right. so i stood up and adjusted my strap and low and behold. i can hit that chord like nobodies business, i still have to see if i can play past the 12th fret, but maybe that helps, also i can do it with my pinkie and both fingers on the 4th string. but i am not advanced far enough to do progressions yet, so i don't know if that would be a bad habit

And here is the answer as to how the palm got to the fretboard! You were holding up the guitar neck with your hand while trying to play it! I tried to replicate your posture afer reading your last post and sure enough, no way to play open C if I'm holding up the guitar. Lisa's fundamentals I believe mention something about standing vs sitting and strap placement. If that neck is not supported by a strap then you have to use a step or something else to hold the guitar up.

# 10
zollybosher
zollybosher
12/26/2018 6:51 pm

Ok ok. So 99% of the population can play C I get it. The problem that I have and believe me I have tried all kinds of variations is

If I hold the guitar as you are “supposed” to by placing in knee and holding it into your body with your strumming hand I don’t feel as though I have control of it should I want to move my hand down the neck to say 6th fret ( spider fingers)

Why I catch the G string on C is because my 1st finger is at an angle if I try to hold down the other strings at this time then I can’t- I have taken a week off because I was getting no were.

I am tilting the guitar because this is the only way I feel as though I have any control over the guitar, so essentially it’s leaned into my body- I have tried moving my thumb down behind the neck to provide more space and extra leavarage. All that happens here is control I tend to push the neck away from me as I am trying to hold the guitar with my arm

I get the first finger down and if I place my fingers on the strings I can play the chord albeit briefly. I have watched my fingers when I have been successfull and tried to replicate over and over again. If I take my fingers off and rest for a few seconds and put them back on then it’s a 90% chance I will get the chord.

I have identified the problem as such my ring finger collapses when trying to hold the string, so it plays the 3rd fret of the 5th string but falls down onto the 2nd fret 4th string. If I adjust then the G chord becomes muted because my 1 st finger is not straight it’s slightly bent. if I don’t my ring finger cannot reach to the 3rd fret 5th. As it is I can just about get to the fret albeit not in the centre. I know it’s hard to believe but it’s true

In other words my hand is eassentialy not horizontal to the neck. I can play the other chords even the pinky G.

I don’t want to sound harsh or ungrateful but it’s OK saying “ yeah no brainer” I can do this I can do that I know that, question is what am I doing wrong that others haven’t.

I have even taken a lessons from a professional session player. All he says is you will get it or not. Obviously I gave up on that idea after 6 sessions with him as I was and am stuck on this amd it’s really bugging me now

Yes I am having a mini tank but I expect things to be a little harder due to the fact I am in my 60s and new to guitar, but not musical instruments. I can not get play the piano, various brass instruments but the Guitar C chord is just not happening consistently and even if I can play it my finger collapses after a few bars as it’s not strong enough or comfortable enough for me to hold.

Like I said maybe it’s just me almost had having enough

# 11
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/26/2018 8:37 pm

Hey, there! Sorry for your frustrations with the C chord! I have a few thoughts that might help.

Originally Posted by: zollybosher

My hands are quite small and playing Yamaha F310

[/quote]

That Yamaha might be a relatively smaller acoustic. But the nut is 43mm wide & the neck profile is pretty standard. And that's pretty big for small hands. Have you tried playing an electric guitar? Most Strats & their inexpensive Squier version have 40mm or 41mm width nuts, & much smaller profile necks.

I'm not suggesting you buy another instrument to fix the problem! :) But I'm curious if you have tried another guitar at all? I'm willing to bet any electric might be easier for you to play. You might go to a local music shop & just try it as an experiment. Or if you have any friends or acquaintences with guitars.

Originally Posted by: zollybosher

[br]If I hold the guitar as you are “supposed” to by placing in knee and holding it into your body with your strumming hand I don’t feel as though I have control of it should I want to move my hand down the neck to say 6th fret ( spider fingers)

[/quote]

I'm not clear on everything you've tried posture & position wise. But I know that tilting the neck up & slightly away from your body can help. It can give your arm the space to form a natural curving arc. Also slightly angling the guitar face away from your torso until you find the optimal spot for your fingers to reach all the way around the neck to the string side is important.

Also, are you using a strap? Any amount that you are holding the guitar up with your hands or arms is going to hinder natural playing motion. The entire point behind a strap is to make sure that your palm, hands, arms & body are all free to play notes & not have double duty holding up the guitar, or holding it in place.

[quote=zollybosher]

I have identified the problem as such my ring finger collapses when trying to hold the string, so it plays the 3rd fret of the 5th string but falls down onto the 2nd fret 4th string.

So it sounds like you need to develop some strength & dexterity in your ring finger! I've got a couple of tutorials aimed at that problem. One is explicity to target the pinky, but it's just as effective to build the ring & all your fingers.

Building Pinky Strength & Dexterity

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1292

Trill Drills

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1829

[quote=zollybosher]

.... but the Guitar C chord is just not happening consistently and even if I can play it my finger collapses after a few bars as it’s not strong enough or comfortable enough for me to hold.

[br]Like I said maybe it’s just me almost had having enough

What style of music do you want to play? What kind of songs? I play mostly rock, blues & jazz. When I play those styles I rarely use the open C major chord shape. Almost never.

When I play a C major it's usually as a barre chord:

|-------------------------|

|-----5------------------|

|-----3------------------|

|-------------------------|

Or one of many partial barre triad shapes.

|----------------------8----|

|----5---------8------8----|

|----5--5-----9------9----|

|----5--5-----10----------|

|--------7------------------|

|----------------------------|

It's just not needed in those styles. And I play lots of C chords, just don't need that shape. When I play classical style, then I need that particular shape.

But if push comes to shove, it's possible to learn guitar & enjoy playing lots of songs without that chord shape.

Please try some of my suggestions above! Please ask more if necessary. Hope this helps! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 12
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/26/2018 11:26 pm

Y'know zollybosher, if you're going to quote someone, especially abusing it out of context as a pejorative, it's just basic courtesy and decency to quote contextually verbatim.

Nobody in this entire thread said "yeah (implied generalisation, "it's a") no brainer". Nope, no-one. What was actually said was this, in reply with considered detailed elaboration to your very specific question, and only after several prior attempts to assist you.

You said, and I quote:

What was actually written, by me unambigiously in direct response to that sentence within the context of a fuller empathetic reply was:

Begin quote.

"I sense your frustration and wish I could offer some simple solution, but Cmaj was a no brainer for me. The only thing I did to "master" it as such, was finesse the order of placement, the pragmatic perpendiculatrity of my tips, for want of a better word, and curl of the fingers to ensure clean fingering, and smooth changes to and from other chords. Most of that came through awareness generally as I was playing songs, and just repetition playing songs focussing on those aspects during the riff progressions.

I can't recall off hand, but did you mention in a much earlier post that you have either arthritis or a hand injury in your fretting hand? If so, do you suspect this is affecting your flexibility or co-ordination?"

End quote.

Within its own context of a direct answer to your question specific to me as one of your referenced "they", it was part of a wider series of prior posts trying to assist you, even offering you the face saving out by way of inquiring whether you had some encumbering injury.

Over the course of my lengthy very active recreational and professional life, I've casually assisted as well as from formal accredited appointment taught people in training from ab initio through advanced levels to do all kinds of tactile skills required of vocational pursuits from basic officer cadet recruit through graduation as an infantry officer, becoming a pilot at private to consolidating skills at the highest professional levels, recreational gliding, R/C flying, and riding motorcycles - a passion of mine for over 45 years, along with numerous other pursuits. In the course of this, I've observed within every other course, there's a square-gating 'Gomer' who shouldn't ever be handed a live grenade on the practise range, be let even sit on a motorbike, or allowed near the flight controls of anything. You can fail them in the military and vocational courses, but in recreational pursuits, fortunately when it comes to that crux one can just either call time, or say "no" to.

In R/C flying for instance, with very few exceptions, I refused generally to teach people approaching 70 and over. Why? They consistently really struggle with the anticipative mental accuity and acquistion of new motor skills that activity requires to demonstrate they can fly safely, consistently at the rate/speed at which everything is occurring in R/C flight envelope. If/where they are teachable, it ordinarily takes them much longer. Unfortunately, their ego still works much better than the conscious brain or rest of their body, sufficently well enough to set themselves an arbitary parameter in their mind that it should only take "n" hours for them to solo, usually aligned with the minimum rather than average time a boastful agile 20 year old might be touting around the club. When they take longer, or in many cases have left it too late and just can't do it, take a guess who they start to project the blame on and speak derogatively of as part of their personal fight, resignation, flight journey from reality process before they chuck it in?

Fortunately guitar is a safe pursuit. No no-one is going to break bones, potentially lose their life or end up with a bag of sticks with every mistake playing acoustic guitar, the most perceivably perilous thing that could possibly happen is a broken string. But the same learning ..or flight process applies.

I'm older than you, and carrying deficits from neck surgeries affecting my left arm and hand, so your age per se probably isn't your barrier.

Maybe the stated opinion of your previous highly experienced personal tutor you referred to was just, albeit diplomatically phrased, an accurate observation? Ć°ÅøĖœĀ­

The straightforward fact is, that for an overwhelming majority of people learning guitar, it's just not that challenging to play open Cmaj, and it doesn't take them four months to learn to do so, sitting, standing or any other way one might might wish to try it, whether injury or smallish hands encumbered. We've tried to be empathetic and help you only to be churlishly rebuked for the efforts. How exactly do you think that's going to encourage anyone to help you again in future in any way?

It's pretty much up to you now to discover how you're going to play Cmaj if you have the will and persistence through a brutish trial and error 'crash and burn' repeatedly until eventually you 'fly', or not. Alternatively, as previously suggested by me, and now by Christopher, until then you could just substitute with 3rd fret barre form Cmaj instead, arguably one of the easiest barre chords to play which conveniently, is comfortably located within the lower section of the fretboard where the cowboy chords are played.

Cya. Ć°ÅøĖœÅ½

# 13
zollybosher
zollybosher
12/28/2018 6:48 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Y'know zollybosher, if you're going to quote someone, especially abusing it out of context as a pejorative, it's just basic courtesy and decency to quote contextually verbatim.

Nobody in this entire thread said "yeah (implied generalisation, "it's a") no brainer". Nope, no-one. What was actually said was this, in reply with considered detailed elaboration to your very specific question, and only after several prior attempts to assist you.

You said, and I quote:

What was actually written, by me unambigiously in direct response to that sentence within the context of a fuller empathetic reply was:

Begin quote.

"I sense your frustration and wish I could offer some simple solution, but Cmaj was a no brainer for me. The only thing I did to "master" it as such, was finesse the order of placement, the pragmatic perpendiculatrity of my tips, for want of a better word, and curl of the fingers to ensure clean fingering, and smooth changes to and from other chords. Most of that came through awareness generally as I was playing songs, and just repetition playing songs focussing on those aspects during the riff progressions.

I can't recall off hand, but did you mention in a much earlier post that you have either arthritis or a hand injury in your fretting hand? If so, do you suspect this is affecting your flexibility or co-ordination?"

End quote.

Within its own context of a direct answer to your question specific to me as one of your referenced "they", it was part of a wider series of prior posts trying to assist you, even offering you the face saving out by way of inquiring whether you had some encumbering injury.

Over the course of my lengthy very active recreational and professional life, I've casually assisted as well as from formal accredited appointment taught people in training from ab initio through advanced levels to do all kinds of tactile skills required of vocational pursuits from basic officer cadet recruit through graduation as an infantry officer, becoming a pilot at private to consolidating skills at the highest professional levels, recreational gliding, R/C flying, and riding motorcycles - a passion of mine for over 45 years, along with numerous other pursuits. In the course of this, I've observed within every other course, there's a square-gating 'Gomer' who shouldn't ever be handed a live grenade on the practise range, be let even sit on a motorbike, or allowed near the flight controls of anything. You can fail them in the military and vocational courses, but in recreational pursuits, fortunately when it comes to that crux one can just either call time, or say "no" to.

In R/C flying for instance, with very few exceptions, I refused generally to teach people approaching 70 and over. Why? They consistently really struggle with the anticipative mental accuity and acquistion of new motor skills that activity requires to demonstrate they can fly safely, consistently at the rate/speed at which everything is occurring in R/C flight envelope. If/where they are teachable, it ordinarily takes them much longer. Unfortunately, their ego still works much better than the conscious brain or rest of their body, sufficently well enough to set themselves an arbitary parameter in their mind that it should only take "n" hours for them to solo, usually aligned with the minimum rather than average time a boastful agile 20 year old might be touting around the club. When they take longer, or in many cases have left it too late and just can't do it, take a guess who they start to project the blame on and speak derogatively of as part of their personal fight, resignation, flight journey from reality process before they chuck it in?

Fortunately guitar is a safe pursuit. No no-one is going to break bones, potentially lose their life or end up with a bag of sticks with every mistake playing acoustic guitar, the most perceivably perilous thing that could possibly happen is a broken string. But the same learning ..or flight process applies.

I'm older than you, and carrying deficits from neck surgeries affecting my left arm and hand, so your age per se probably isn't your barrier.

Maybe the stated opinion of your previous highly experienced personal tutor you referred to was just, albeit diplomatically phrased, an accurate observation? Ć°ÅøĖœĀ­

The straightforward fact is, that for an overwhelming majority of people learning guitar, it's just not that challenging to play open Cmaj, and it doesn't take them four months to learn to do so, sitting, standing or any other way one might might wish to try it, whether injury or smallish hands encumbered. We've tried to be empathetic and help you only to be churlishly rebuked for the efforts. How exactly do you think that's going to encourage anyone to help you again in future in any way?

It's pretty much up to you now to discover how you're going to play Cmaj if you have the will and persistence through a brutish trial and error 'crash and burn' repeatedly until eventually you 'fly', or not. Alternatively, as previously suggested by me, and now by Christopher, until then you could just substitute with 3rd fret barre form Cmaj instead, arguably one of the easiest barre chords to play which conveniently, is comfortably located within the lower section of the fretboard where the cowboy chords are played.

Cya. Ć°ÅøĖœÅ½

Well put . I won’t disagree with what you say.

I have been advised, for want if a better word as to what the problem is and not just in here but also as mentioned private tuission.It is not the guitar it’s ME however I will continue to persevere until I give up ( a bit to old to do that I refuse to be beaten)

perhaps I was naive enough to expect the silver bullet that would “ fix all” I thank everyone who has contributed for their patience I will leave this thread Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year

# 14
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/28/2018 9:57 pm

Zolly. 99% of learning/perfecting guitar is persistence IMLE & O. Read what Coolidge had to say about persistence and determination. He was right. I have that quotation inscribed on a wall plaque which has resided in both my home and work offices now for over forty years. I abide by it.

As I stated categorically in a post much earlier in this thread. You will eventually find a way.

Here's a tip. Don't personalise any obstacle presenting an adversity which can be overcome. e.g difficulty applying calculus misinterpreted as "I am no good at mathematics". I would like to ****** every teacher who ever told a student they are bad or implied hopeless at mathematics...which invariably instills a mindset which becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy in (young) malleable minds which they carry though life like a sea anchor.

Channel that frustration into determination. Combined with the superb tuition and instructors here at Guitar Tricks, you will succeed. GL. All the best for the New Year. Ć°ÅøĖœÅ½

# 15
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/31/2018 6:50 pm

And for the record, I've been playing since 1982-ish (after a while, you forget the exact year) and last year (2017) I strained my hand, wrist and index finger of my fretting hand. Wanna know what chord I still wrestle with fretting? The C. Much less a G7 (Forget about it...not even gonna get that one). Moral is; all players have challenges. Even when you've been playing for years. Over the last few weeks, we did a couple of Christmas concerts with my church. A couplew of the songs were quick changes with a C in the mix. I just couldn't get it done cleranly (at least not at this point...). Since there were two acoustic players, I could cheat a little with a Cadd9.

I'm not saying you should cheat. Always good to get the meat and potatoes like a C chord down but; we all have things that are a challenge even when you've been playing forever.

That little injury last year seemed like nothing but there are some aspects of my playing that I have to 'rehab'. Chords that were easy and I still ain't quite gettin' em.

Stick with it and don't get frustrated bacuse you didn't get it today. Just keep at it.

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.