Root Note?

trampisjr
Full Access
trampisjr
Full Access
09/26/2018 6:03 pm

Hi, Im just starting to learn, Ive been playing for a little bit but just dont catch on very quickly.[br][br]I started playing with people I go to Church with on Monday nights and they play and tell me to pick the root note first.[br]Im so confused, why not just strum the whole cord?[br][br]They pick the root note and sometimes the root note and another string below before struming the remaining strings. Its so very hard to keep up with them!! They keep telling me to hang in there and it will come to me, but its very intimidating cause they are so good and I cant keep up.[br]Some songs I find on here and youtube dont want you to play the root note.[br][br]I just dont get it, I trully want to understand. Can anyone explain it to me???[br][br]and so sorry if I iposted this in the wrong place.[br][br]THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :) :)

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
09/26/2018 9:59 pm

Hi!

"Ive been playing for a little bit" contradicts "Im just starting to learn". Which is it? It can't be both.

If the latter, root strumming will be challenging - understatement.

Watch this lesson. It will explain what a root note is contextually relevant to your question, how to effect the technique and explain the concept.

Then go back and watch Root Chord Strumming from the beginning which explains what "people I go to Church with" are possibly trying to affect and why.

Being a competent player does not mean someone is necessarily a competent instructor. It sounds like you'd appreciate one.

GuitarTricks.com?

# 2
trampisjr
Full Access
trampisjr
Full Access
09/27/2018 3:58 am

manXcat, thank you for your reply and links! :)[br][br]Oh, and Im so sorry, I meant to say Ive been playing for a little bit but it feels like I'm just starting to learn.[br]Guitartricks is a blessing!!! :)

# 3
Papa Rich
Papa Rich
09/27/2018 5:31 pm

It ain't easy. That's the truest statement to use when just starting out playing any instrument. For you to try to jam with people that know how to play is above your pay scale right now. Not to say you shouldn't try but it could lead to dissapointment and that's a no no when you first start. Play with them but remember that they know more than you right now.

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run or something like that. Learn the basics and build from there. Not knowing about root notes in chords indicates that you need some education and fundamentals building. Don't be hard on yourself and don't constantly be frustrated. Every once in a while frustration is normal.

Go through the Basic lessions 1 and 2. As you learn and practice, pick a few easy songs from GT and play with the instructor and then the backing track. You will surprise yourself of the motivation you will build. A year from now you won't believe the progress that you will make if you take your time and start from the beginning. My cent and a half. Good luck to you.

# 4
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/27/2018 5:32 pm

Hi trampisjr,

We're super happy you're having fun with GT!

As always, let us know if you have any questions~

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 5
trampisjr
Full Access
trampisjr
Full Access
09/28/2018 2:35 am

Thank you Papa Rich for your kind words! :)

# 6
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2018 2:12 pm

Playing the root note before the rest of the chord is a style-choice. It serves to 'anchor' the sound of the chord by introducing the lowest note of the chord (the bass note) first, so the 'bassiness' of that note can underlie and support the remaining notes of the chord.

It's a popular technique - which can be used if and when you want to.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.