struggling with spider legs exercise

kennethine
kennethine
08/10/2018 2:42 pm

hello, I've just started learning the guitar and I'm really struggling with the spider legs exercise. I'm worried about whether I'll ever be able to do it or maybe the guitar isn't for people with fingers that don't stretch enough

Many thanks.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
08/10/2018 6:57 pm

hi Kennethine,

First thing's first: you'll get through it! Practicing and learning guitar is pretty tough, especially since you're forcing your fingers to do things you're not used to. My best advice is to go slow, and to adjust your grip if necessary, but make sure your muscles are relaxed. It takes time! Go slow.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
kennethine
kennethine
08/10/2018 7:33 pm

hi, Billy

Thanks a lot for your answer. I'll go slow and try to be patient.

kennethine

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/10/2018 7:48 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: kennethine

I've just started learning the guitar and I'm really struggling with the spider legs exercise.[/quote]

If you are brand new to the guitar, you probably just need to be patient with yourself. If you haven't yet, I strongly encourage you to work through the Guitar Fundamentals courses. They are the best place to start to build you skills. If you practice regularly, then you will gradually build the strength & dexterity to do those exercises more effectively.

https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

The spider legs (or any physical exercise) can help, but only after you start to build a basic foundation of technique. It's definitely a feedback loop. Learn a few skills, practice them a lot, gain a little dexterity, learn a few exercises, practice them a lot, gain a little more dexterity! :)[br][br]But when you first start you should only be worried about using a couple of fingers at a time, playing simple chords or a simple melody. Those spider legs exercises require all four fingers & a bit of stretching. That's simply beyond an absolute beginner's grasp. They are for after you've learned a few skills, to get you using all your fingers.

Take it one step at a time!

[quote=kennethine]I'm worried about whether I'll ever be able to do it or maybe the guitar isn't for people with fingers that don't stretch enough

It depends on how much physical dexterity you bring to the learning process & how much you are willing to do the repetitious practice.

In general, anyone with functioning hands & a reasonable amount of practice time can learn to play the guitar! So, with enough determination & practice, you can do it! And you can even get those fingers to stretch & do things you didn't think they could do.

Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
kennethine
kennethine
08/10/2018 8:09 pm

hi, Christopher Schlegel

I appreciate your detailed answer.

Kennethine.

# 5
jeremysg
jeremysg
11/26/2018 1:54 pm

Hi All -

I am brand new to the guitar and making my way through the Core system, but struggling with the spider legs exercise. Since we are pushing our fingers as close as possible to the fret, should the strings be touching the neck of the guitar? It is very difficult to push the string hard enough to touch the neck when we are right against the fret.

Thanks![br]- J

# 6
oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
11/26/2018 2:56 pm

When pushing down on the string it needs to touch the fret, not necessarily the neck. You are correct in that if your finger is right next to the fret, which is a good place for it to be, the string may not touch the neck. Further back from the fret it likely will. The key is solid contact between the sting and the fret.

# 7
jeremysg
jeremysg
11/26/2018 2:59 pm

Super helpful! Thank you!

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.